Gil McDermott Needs some thoughts/prayers (Formerly: Any one in the Chicago area want some speakers?)

JoeR

3 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Get well Gill.  You can recover significantly from a stroke.   I have witnessed it.  Pull through!

I second that had an aunt that was wheelchaired after a massive stroke and was back on her feet within a year wishing you the best and hopefully a speedy recovery. If I were closer I'd offer to take some gear off your hands I'm sure others here will step up and help out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I second that had an aunt that was wheelchaired after a massive stroke and was back on her feet within a year wishing you the best and hopefully a speedy recovery. If I were closer I'd offer to take some gear off your hands I'm sure others here will step up and help out.

Yes, my mother was in a coma and almost dies from a stroke about six years ago.  She recovered and only has some vision problems.  There is hope. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 2:05 PM, opusk2k9 said:

Latest Gil update:

Gil is still hospitalized.  He is eating normally and is off oxygen, but is still paralyzed on his left side.  Mentally he is pretty good, but there are some gaps and things he is confused about.

He will be going to a rehab facility soon and will be there for three to four months.  What happens after that depends on how much progress he makes during rehab, but it is unlikely that he will be able to live on his own.

A guy I knew had a stroke, and he said it is important to comply with therapy 100%, no matter how dumb or monotonous many of the exercises can seem.  Good luck, Gil!

• Like 2

I spoke with Gil Thursday and just finished a trip to Chicago to pick up some things.

Thankfully Joe helped me load and was nice enough to drive to the suburbs and help me unload as well.

I was able to grab the McIntosh gear, walnut Forte, and (3) walnut Belles.

Along with several woofers crossovers, etc.

I will discuss with Gil how to proceed and what to sell.

I told Gil I can hold onto some of this stuff for a while until he figures out where he will be living after rehab.

I wasn't able to fit the homemade La Scala bass bins, the homemade k-horn/jubilee style bass bins, or the wooden horns.

The khorn/jubilee style do not need corners.  There were also some homemade risers for the Forte ~12" tall.

If you are interested and able to pick these up this weekend downtown Chicago please PM ASAP.

They will be clearing out the apartment Monday.

Again, if you wish to contact Gil, please PM me.  He would love to hear from people.

He trying to change facilities, but Joe will keep me updated if his contact info changes.

Ls style.png

khorn_jubilee_horns.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I spoke with Gil again today.  He would really love to hear from the Forum.  

It doesn't sound like he is making much progress.  No luck yet on getting his cell phone reactivated.

Please try to reach out every once in a while and brighten his day.

The number is 773-561-2040.  There is one shared wireless phone , so it sometimes takes two or three tries to get Gil on the phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 3/5/2022 at 2:50 PM, opusk2k9 said:

I spoke with Gil again today.  He would really love to hear from the Forum.  

It doesn't sound like he is making much progress.  No luck yet on getting his cell phone reactivated.

Please try to reach out every once in a while and brighten his day.

The number is seven73-56one-2040.  There is one shared wireless phone , so it sometimes takes two or three tries to get Gil on the phone.

Does anyone have an update on Gil, or had a chance to speak with him?

6 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Does anyone have an update on Gil, or had a chance to speak with him?

I don't have an update, I will give him another call when I get a chance.  I'm sure that he would love to hear from you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gil now has a new cell phone, so you don't have to call the main line anymore:

Please contact me for the number.

It is not a smartphone.  He also has a laptop, but it is hard for him to use.

I'm sure he would love to hear from people.

Thank you.

Brandon

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Gil update: 

I was finally able to talk to Gil.  He is doing some rehab.  He is doing exercises and using a walker.

He hopes to get transferred to another facility.  He said he will try to log onto the forum this weekend.

I'm sure he would love to hear from forum members.  Hopefully, his cell phone is working if you try to call.

He still has hopes to move into an apartment and start working again at some point.

If he can get into an apartment, he would like to have the Belles. 

He is going to talk to his brother in law about it.  So, at the moment I am holding on to his stuff for a while longer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1