La Scalas are gone...

Marvel

well, not quite... but moved out of the way. They are going to older son on Friday, so the Heresy IIs are in their place with the MWMs as place holders until I get some cables wired up and the digital crossover wired up. The HIIs sound amazingly good for their size.

20211116_223428~2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

well, not quite... but moved out of theway. They are going to older son on Friday. so the Heresy IIs are in their place with the MWMs as place holders until I get some cables wire up and the didgital crossover wired up. The HIIs sound amazingly good for their size.

1884781833_20211116_2234282.thumb.jpg.833737bf27acc314850fce1d398aa3ce.jpg

I replaced my LaScalas with Heresys and am totally happy. The LaScalas yelled at me and the Heresys sing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My LS are very lovely sounding, but I used a 3rd party crossover design and pulled the mids down some. The tweeters are Eminence APT50s on an Eminence 150 horn, mounted on baffles placed on the tops so they could be moved to the backs so they could be time aligned.  Very nice at any volume.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RandyH said:

I use 1 pair on top of  Cornwalls , a 2nd on top of Lascala 's -

Wow!!!  Never seen that before.

Very curious to how you have it all setup. Two separate 2-channel rooms or a surround sound with them all in one room?

How are they all powered? Pair of LaScala's and Heresy's in parallel for a 2-channel setup. Same for the Cornwall's for another 2-channel setup?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

Wow!!!  Never seen that before.

Very curious to how you have it all setup. Two separate 2-channel rooms or a surround sound with them all in one room?

How are they all powered? Pair of LaScala's and Heresy's in parallel for a 2-channel setup. Same for the Cornwall's for another 2-channel setup?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

2 separate 2-channel rooms , the CW  for rock music , the LS for Jazz or Classical  ,  the Heresy acts like a Studio monitor giving you that clear HF and detailed  Mids and mellow bass  tones to aid the bigger speaker , and way less distortion -

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YK Thom said:

I noticed these in the photos of your Lascalas. Do they make a big difference?

Yes.

Maybe.

The APT-150 sounds great and having the tweeters outboard allows them to be time aligned with the midrange which helps with the stereo image.

The APT-150’s were originally purchased because we were planning on building some Cornwall type speakers.

At the time I already had a pair of Bob’s CT-125 tweeters in my H1’s and I really liked the way they sounded.

Since we weren’t directly replacing something like a K-77 we didn’t need to worry about the smaller horn.

And the APT-150 was on sale at the time.

Are we getting reflections off the top of the main cab?

Probably. 

• Like 1

The Selenium drivers have more output. The Eminence drivers are the original ones made in Poland, which Bob C. said were smoother than the Eminence made drivers.

I like them much better than the K-77, but part of that is probably due to the horn on the Eminence.

• Like 2

The selenium drivers do need more attenuation. Not a problem for diy'ers but I do understand for those not electronically inclined where the APT-150 would be a good choice. As I stated good sounding drivers as well. Absolutely nothing wrong with them but there are better ones out there and some are direct replacements for the fragile K-77. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marvel said:

When I found some beater LS (the cabinets were about all I got), I slowly acquired parts and set them up, again with the DHA2 crossovers, almost new K-33s, K-400 mid horns with EV 1828 drivers (Klipsch also used those for a while, and the Eminence APT150 tweeter (an APT50 driver on a 100x50 horn). It all sounds great at any level in any room they've been in, powered by everything from 3.5 watt SET amps, 35 watt Crown and 300 watt Crown.

We can add 65 watt Yamaha receiver to the list of amps with which the DHA2 crossovers and LS  sound great.

• Like 1