Computer experts need helsp buying a HD

tigerwoodKhorns

I have an older server that allows 2 TB max drives.  I want to replace a few 1 TB drives.  What is a good drive to use?  I do not have the patients to research this like I used to.  This is a daily use (heavy use with small files for work) machine. 

Is this a good drive?  $50 each so $100 for the Raid sounds good to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-3-5-Inch/dp/B07H2RR55Q/ref=asc_df_B07H2RR55Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=319972287270&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=655623866845529077&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030751&hvtargid=pla-613251472056&psc=1

Some reviews say this is SMR and not PMR.  What does this mean, does it matter?  Help, I just want a HD. 

Have some extra 2TB drives that I used in a NAS  - upgraded to 4TB Western Digital Red PRO drives (7200rpm, "CMR.") SMR vs PMR, see https://www.reichelt.com/magazin/en/smr-cmr-which-hard-drive-is-best-for-which-purpose/ ... it solely depends on your intended use; if accessed all the time as in a NAS, use CMR :)

Drives I have are HGST, 7200rpm, SATA 6GB/s. Stickers say Aug/2015 and Oct/2015. Do not know how much use they have had. You are welcome to them; just pay for shipping :) 

But; think it is better to buy new drives WITH warranty. Suggest WD Red Pro 2TB - wd2002FFSX about $85 each on Amazon. Your listed Seagate drives (2TB, 7200rpm) are probably OK in a server setup, but they are SMR drives. SSD's are a bit more expensive ... cheapest 
"good" one is a Samsung QVO at about $180 for 2TB.

Any questions, let me know :) 

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... unless you run in RAID, do not get "used" drives :) 

@tigerwoodKhorns   

I generally stick with Seagate for spinning drives, they've all worked for me since the late 1980's.  My first was a 10MB hard drive in an IBM PC.

If you want reliable SSD's, I also have a perfect record on Samsung drives.  Just a quick question here:  Are you sure that 2TB is a hardware limitation for you?  Because 2 terabytes of hard drive space happens to be the largest addressable size for 32 bit operating systems.  Usually you can put in larger hard drives, and add a bunch of 2TB partitions on that drive if you are not hardware limited.

If you can tell me if we are talking about 32 bit Windows, that would narrow things down for me, plus the model of your computer.  We might be able to add a bunch of storage almost as cheaply as only buying 2TB drives.

Here are 2TB drives for $46 each, new:

https://smile.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-3-5-Inch/dp/B07H2RR55Q/

71Czt9ypIbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

59 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

@tigerwoodKhorns   

I generally stick with Seagate for spinning drives, they've all worked for me since the late 1980's.  My first was a 10MB hard drive in an IBM PC.

If you want reliable SSD's, I also have a perfect record on Samsung drives.  Just a quick question here:  Are you sure that 2TB is a hardware limitation for you?  Because 2 terabytes of hard drive space happens to be the largest addressable size for 32 bit operating systems.  Usually you can put in larger hard drives, and add a bunch of 2TB partitions on that drive if you are not hardware limited.

If you can tell me if we are talking about 32 bit Windows, that would narrow things down for me, plus the model of your computer.  We might be able to add a bunch of storage almost as cheaply as only buying 2TB drives.

Here are 2TB drives for $46 each, new:

https://smile.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-3-5-Inch/dp/B07H2RR55Q/

PM sent.