What veneer is this?

JohnForte

Hello, just joined here and looking for info and help with refinishing my Fortès. Can anyone tell me what veneer this is underneath the black lacquer I have stripped off? Also, what would be the proper finish to apply? Did Klipsch use boiled linseed oil? I would like a darker finish I think. 

Thanks

PXL_20211119_043136287.jpg

9 minutes ago, JohnForte said:

Hello, just joined here and looking for info and help with refinishing my Fortès. Can anyone tell me what veneer this is underneath the black lacquer I have stripped off? Also, what would be the proper finish to apply? Did Klipsch use boiled linseed oil? I would like a darker finish I think. 

looks like oak  , I would Watco Danish oil -it's avaialble in various tints , you can also Boiled linseed oil , but I doubt klipsch ever used it , since it's quite  a  fire hazard in a Factory setting given the  rags can catch on fire unless they are destroyed 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amped said:

Is there a label on the back of the speaker?  It should list the finish.

have a look look here:  

They are FOR FB RV, which is black lacquer. It doesn't tell me what veneer it is. I just had a look at them and one looks like it may be different veneer so I may have to repaint. I will strip the other base and report back here. 

Edited by JohnForte

2 hours ago, RandyH said:

looks like oak  , I would Watco Danish oil -it's avaialble in various tints , you can also Boiled linseed oil , but I doubt klipsch ever used it , since it's quite  a  fire hazard in a Factory setting given the  rags can catch on fire unless they are destroyed 

I was thinking it looks like white oak. 

2 hours ago, JohnForte said:

Well this sucks. Looks like the first one was actually walnut and the second is definitely oak. It's either new paint or veneer replacement. 

Are the labels / serial numbers matching? You should be able to see the oak grain right through the black paint quite easily.

5 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Are the labels / serial numbers matching? You should be able to see the oak grain right through the black paint quite easily.

The serials are a few numbers apart. I did notice the difference in grain but didn't really think it was different veneer altogether. It's tempting to put some nice veneer on them and some oil, the black is boring.

8 hours ago, JohnForte said:

Well this sucks. Looks like the first one was actually walnut and the second is definitely oak. It's either new paint or veneer replacement. 

PXL_20211119_080855364.jpg

The risers on speakers like the forte were various finishes and didn't always match the speakers.

8 hours ago, JohnForte said:

ok , so let's recapitulate , if both tags of the speakers say FB  -- this means that the speakers were sold and  painted as BLACK LAQUER from the factory -

-now klipsch often used to sell black painted speakers out of the various odd speakers that had veneer flaws or that showed  mismatched  veneers or the odd lone speaker  that could not  be paired  with another speaker to have a perfectly matching pair , the same with risers ,  if they had a few mismatched sets of risers  , so by painting the mismatched speakers black , they would make 1 matching pair - 

the cost of FB  speakers , painted black was also cheaper to the consumer -

-by stripping the paint , you are back to square 1  ,  so either you re-veneer the speakers or you repaint them Black to have a matching pair

3 hours ago, RandyH said:

ok , so let's recapitulate , if both tags of the speakers say FB  -- this means that the speakers were sold and  painted as BLACK LAQUER from the factory -

-now klipsch often used to sell black painted speakers out of the various odd speakers that had veneer flaws or that showed  mismatched  veneers or the odd lone speaker  that could not  be paired  with another speaker to have a perfectly matching pair , the same with risers ,  if they had a few mismatched sets of risers  , so by painting the mismatched speakers black , they would make 1 matching pair - 

the cost of FB  speakers , painted black was also cheaper to the consumer -

-by stripping the paint , you are back to square 1  ,  so either you re-veneer the speakers or you repaint them Black to have a matching pair

Yes I am aware. What I meant by that comment was that those were my options at this point. Strongly considering getting some walnut veneer and making them match. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JohnForte said:

Yes I am aware. What I meant by that comment was that those were my options at this point. Strongly considering getting some walnut veneer and making them match. 

Welcome! You can certainly do that to a point. That is how they came from factory, no matter which finish.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JohnForte said:

you only need enough veneer for the sides -top and the risers , the rest can stay black or textured black ,  do you have the grilles ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnForte said:

Yes I have the original grilles. 

Here are 2  pictures of  Custom  Forte speakers by a small shop in TX  ,the Forte  does not have grilles but the Forte II does , using the Forte III script logo ---

Klipsch Forte II Custom SpeakersKlipsch Custom Forte Speakers

• Like 1