Powering the RF-7 III's: AVR or Separates?

MTMarshall

I have a 9.2.4 home theater setup. Speakers are below. I was all set to buy a Denon X8500HA to power this system, which would do a fine job, but I'm wondering if I'm doing the RF-7 III's (and myself) a disservice by not using separates and providing more power and headroom? I also read some opinions that running separates also help to 'separate' the layers better in Atmos - less bleed through. Couldn't speak to that myself, though.

If not the Denon X8500HA AVR, I was looking at a 16-channel processor, and to power the RF-7 III's, perhaps a Buckeye NC502MP, which offers 350w per speaker @ 8ohm.

In any case, I was looking for your opinions based on what you've experienced, and again, if I should ditch the Denon in order to feed the beast more power. OR...  if it wouldn't be noticeably different.

LCR: (3) Klipsch RF-7 III
FW: (2) Klipsch RP-600M
SS: (2) Klipsch RP-502S
BS: (2) Klipsch RP-600M
TF: (2) Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR
TM: (2) Klipsch PRO-180RPC
TB: (2) Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR
Subs: (2) HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers

I am all about a separate amplifier to drive RF-7 v1, v2, or v3.  Though the Denon 8500 is a beast of an AVR with a pretty powerful amplifier section(for an AVR), the built in amps are not even on par with your average entry/mid level outboard multichannel amps. 

You do have many options here.  Get a 3 channel amp for your front soundstage(L-C-R) and save some $$$ and get a second tier Denon AVR to drive the rest of the channels.  Same with a 5 channel and 7 channel amps.

Maybe a pre/pro and outboard amps?

Bill

• Like 1

I am running 2 rf 7's a matching center channel, and 2 rf 82's up front. IN the rear I have rf 82's and rf 62s'. It is my understanding that even though Klipsch speakers need less power than most, there is no way I can run 9 speakers off a receiver only amp.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

TTT looking for some more feedback. Let me be more specific: I have a pretty solid Pioneer Elite receiver and am running RF-7's and an rc 64 (it is beastly) up front along with 2 RF 82's. for a 5 speaker front stage. I had an Emotiva XPA5 powering my front stage but it crapped out. Was using AVR to power rear stage. Could it power front stage or isa real amp needed?  

Yes...I think you are right. That massive Emotiva XPA-5 only lasted 7 years and I never pushed my system hard at all. For the price I expected better.

The question now is, can I get away with a 3 channel amp? My rear stage are 2 rf-82's and 2 rf 62's. Could my air power my rf 82's up front, and my AVR the rest...I am probably better off getting a 5 channel amp since the price is not that much more.

Not knowing what the 82's want for power, they're still not your main sound for HT, and IMHO, regardless of what the rest are, they're really filling in the effects, and don't believe you will benefit, in this application.  All you can do is try it and judge for yourself, but Willand has give you good advice.  I have run  a full RF HT rig for over a decade, also have an Emotiva XPA 5 that I picked up years ago and I'm using the additional 2 channels for the side surrounds, but they're gain is adjusted substantially.  I have run other setups with 3 channels of very good amplification and the rest through higher output (at least that's how the specs read lol) AVR's and things were just fine.  I have also run RF5's, RF3's and various other speakers for rears over the years and never got any benefit from hooking up higher power amps to surround speakers, but that's my experience, your mileage may vary.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks guys...Another option, I could sell the extra RF 82' and the 62s, and go with a 5.2 system. That would leave me with the 2 rf 7s and rc 64 up front and the 82s by themselves in the rear.

I could probably run the 5.2/1 set up off the AVR alone. OK, going over to the AVS forum thread. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2021 at 5:29 PM, Zen Traveler said:

Here may be a useful thread I started at AVS on the subject: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/would-i-benefit-from-an-external-amp.1532635/

I went over to the thread, very informative. Off topic a bit, but what struck me was how many thoughtful responders are now banned former members. I have been a member of that forum long time and methinks the mods protest too much.

• Like 1