HBO's Jagged

rplace

Last night I watched HBO's Music Box documentary series titled Jagged about Alanis Morissette. Much better than I expected it to be. The '90s don't seem that long ago but from the music business perspective it may has well been the 1890s. How quickly we (at least I) forget a life before cell phones and the Internet was the norm. Radio stations breaking a new artist, hype in small venues leading to arenas and summer festivals. Music documentaries often show how hard it is to break into the music business. 10X more for a 12 year old girl. Crazy. It was funny/strange to hear that KROQ actually had a policy preventing DJs from playing two female artists back to back. No Doubt and Alanis were mentioned as explicitly prevented. WOW!

Taylor Hawkins, her drummer before leaving for Foo Fighters, got a good bit of coverage too.

She got so big so fast I seem to recall writing her off as a flavor of the month sort of thing. I vividly recall back in that time of my life dismissing anything, music or otherwise, that was the least bit popular/mainstream. I was quite surprised to learn Jagged Little Pill was the 2nd best selling album of the 90s and 12th all time.

Worth the space on your DVR if you already are an HBO subscriber.

• Like 3

On 11/19/2021 at 9:39 AM, rplace said:

Taylor Hawkins, her drummer before leaving for Foo Fighters, got a good bit of coverage too.

She got so big so fast I seem to recall writing her off as a flavor of the month sort of thing. I vividly recall back in that time of my life dismissing anything, music or otherwise, that was the least bit popular/mainstream. I was quite surprised to learn Jagged Little Pill was the 2nd best selling album of the 90s and 12th all time.

Sounds pretty cool I've all but forgotten about her I have to admit I had that CD way back then when it was all about the car stereo for me I got my license in '92-- didn't know about the drummer also being in foo fighters but I don't really keep up on those things sounds interesting thanks for sharing I might check it out! 

• Like 1