1981 Cornwall value.

Vince1966

41 minutes ago, Vince1966 said:

Hi Dave, I believe they are solder lug, I did not grab a picture before I closed them up. Anyone know what the "R" stamp indicates on the mid?

Pretty sure I have read on the forum that the R indicates a Klipsch warranty or replacement part. I don’t have the link so take this with a grain of salt.

Well Randy beat me to the keyboard, but seems I may have been correct. Holy affirmation, Batman!

• Like 1

Went back down to the shop to check, Yup solder lugs. Wonder why the were both replaced by the factory? So as far as the crossovers go, just a straight forward recap or upgrade to B2? Opinions seem to be all over the place on that question. There are a few areas I can take veneer from inside the cabinet from the lower ledge board to repair the outside veneer. Worst case I can reveneer them with some nice white or red figured Birch or something more exotic.

Tomorrow will be stripping some small areas on the bottoms to see how much stain I can get out of the veneer. If the came in Raw Birch they should not be that dark I’m assuming. Played them for another 30 min and I am Impressed with the sound quality.

I have a set of K55v drivers that are spring loaded connectors, is the sound that much different from the solder lug 55v’s? I was picking up parts to do a few builds and am curious now. 

now a question on the Cane grills. What’s a good method to clean them? You can see in one picture that the grill material got wet near the top and looks cleaner than the rest. Will this cane shrink or fall apart? There are some frayed areas I’m going to fix. Also the cane where it’s attached to the grill boards at the back is unglued, any ideas of adhesives used to attach the cane?

overall I’m pretty satisfied with the deal, traded a receiver I restored for the speakers and a few vintage pioneers that need a little attention. Thanks for all your input and help.

Very , very close sound ,between the push pin  single phase plug  driver and  the solder K-55V dual phase plug driver  ,however the are worth 100$ more per pair , easy if not more , and they are much  rarer since they were only made for a  period of  about 18 months  -

the current K55X -Atlas PD5VH is the old single phase plug  driver with Solder lugs in the top plate   -

Vince , the adhesive  ....3M™ Super 77™ Multipurpose Spray Adhesive ,  this glue is forgiving ,  any bad step can be back-tracked  -

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40071862/

here is a picture of 1 of my cane grilles  , it's quite fragile , a quick rub with a damp soft cloth, with dishwasher soap does the trick , and I dry it asap  -

267520525_IMG_20210228_121419(1).thumb.jpg.817f543c80f8ad60b847c773ac79c23c.jpg

Well I spent a little time stripping one cabinet to the raw birch, there is some repairs I was able to do to the veneer that was missing. Now I’m just deciding what to do as far as a finish. There is still some areas with slivers of dark stain in the wood doubt I can sand those out. May just hit them with oil but have given some though to amber shellac. You can see where I was experimenting with getting rid of the stain in the grill, my mother in law gave me a good recipe for a gentle cleaner that works great. Much more to do before they are clean. Any finish Ideas for these? Was hoping to get them close to where they originally were.

cw7.jpeg.02039a3aafffa24f1b2d75869f9997e7.jpegcw8.jpeg.8058a09f34772439e10a56f12d744091.jpegcw9.jpeg.65c4e0f081c8212197e7bb21a3dcbefb.jpeg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vince1966 said:

Was hoping to get them close to where they originally were.

The birch veneer looks like you got it back to the raw birch finish ,  I cant see any flaws ,  I would use boiled linseed oil , on the cabinet , if you want an even color ,  only precaution would be to burn the rags -

think the BLO would bring out some of the Amber color? I have alot of veneer chips to fix and the guy I got them from smashed the lower rear corners on both so that's being fixed now. at least the cabinets are solid and the drivers are original. I will test the BLO on the bottom and see how that looks. +1 on burning the rags.

• Like 1