Jump to content

La Scalas aren’t gone...


Recommended Posts

They just moved further north!

I met my dad(Marvel) down in Murphy NC yesterday and picked up his LS.

413AC3B2-462D-4E50-B3BD-113D5199DCA4.thumb.jpeg.844a407f65abba6c6f408bb27bcdff2c.jpeg

The nonprofit agency I work for was donating some servers and desktops to his work so we had this totally unsuspicious equipment swap in the parking lot after lunch.

It was great to hang out and catch up over lunch before heading back up the Nantahala gorge towards home.

 

The LS are settling into their new home.

08FDAE9E-48CA-4756-94FE-C30D5BAC87A7.jpeg.8ea3fd6d255b3ad1fcbceb3b0bf18e2d.jpeg
last night we managed to get them hooked up and listened to some music on YouTube before heading to bed.

This morning when I woke up the two younger boys were playing Minecraft and it sounded great.

 

The 8 year-old wanted to be included for scale.

520119A7-2D85-4797-B82D-2D6884EFED89.thumb.jpeg.c093bdb40fcdddc8a2004007d7871ca9.jpeg
 

“I could almost live inside these”

BC1949A1-66DB-458B-AEB0-F22E3F197F12.thumb.jpeg.80653b6ff077ed713be5611cc348ec04.jpeg

 

I’m looking forward to really running these through their paces over the coming weeks.

Already, I can tell they are a bit more effortless than my H1’s that they are displacing.

 

A huge thanks to Marvel for passing these down to me and the kids.

 

 

Cheers,

Josh

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

 

08FDAE9E-48CA-4756-94FE-C30D5BAC87A7.jpeg.8ea3fd6d255b3ad1fcbceb3b0bf18e2d.jpeg
last night we managed to get them hooked up and listened to some music on YouTube before heading to bed.

This morning when I woke up the two younger boys were playing Minecraft and it sounded great.

 

The 8 year-old wanted to be included for scale.


 

“I could almost live inside these”

 

@Marvel 's  famous LS    ...............WOW

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, RandyH said:

@Marvel 's  famous LS    ...............WOW

his second pair of LS.

 

I think I bought the K33’s in these from JWC and the APT-150 tweeters from parts-express.

We sort of bounce stuff back and forth over the years.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2021 at 1:36 PM, Travis In Austin said:

Thank you guys for posting these great photos. 

 

Bring that 8 year old to hope with Bruce and let Roy show him how it's done. 

Thanks,

All of the kids(there are five of them) love helping me build and figure stuff out.

Definitely something I learned from @Marvel growing up and I’m absolutely delighted to share with the next generation.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The LS have some DHA2 crossovers which were, as I understand, originally designed by @JohnA for his brother Don.

@Marvel built these a while back and they sound fantastic but I might have a go at cleaning up the layout a little bit and rewiring them as I’ve done with my Stratocaster’s this past year.

B4FC96AC-5FA4-4ECA-9062-8DA556BCCCD9.thumb.jpeg.0129730c738ad2b08ab360720bf19fc4.jpeg

John Albright had the first Klipsch home setup and the first set of LS that I heard back around 2001 or so.

@Marvel had me tag along to hear Johns setup one Saturday.

I brought along the Blue Man Group cd “Audio” and we listened to a couple of tracks, along with a bunch of other stuff, and I was blown away.

Then John said he was going to turn on his subs...

 

20 years later and here we are.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember what John wanted for the one pair of LS (He had two pair).

 

Who made that mess?

 

I kept thinking I would do them over... I found some solid copper nails, but never ordered them.

 

A lot has happened since that day.

 

BUT. that wasn't really the first time we heard La Scalas (or clones). We were in a church with DJK's brother, and had borrowed a set of clones Dennis had built. We used them for a conference for which I was running audio. They worked soooo well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I remember what John wanted for the one pair of LS (He had two pair).

 

Who made that mess?

 

I kept thinking I would do them over... I found some solid copper nails, but never ordered them.

 

A lot has happened since that day.

 

BUT. that wasn't really the first time we heard La Scalas (or clones). We were in a church with DJK's brother, and had borrowed a set of clones Dennis had built. We used them for a conference for which I was running audio. They worked soooo well.

I was probably too busy trying to run around and split my head open to notice the LS at that age.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Marvel you are a lucky man to have a son you can pass those speakers to. My kids show no interest in mine so when the time comes they will probably be sold. 

The other son was a music major (composition) and certainly appreciates great sound reproduction. He did have some nice JBLs, courtesy of his brother. 😄 He got them while living in a dorm. I'll have to check and make sure he didn't slip up and get some Bose. I have some other plans for what I still have, perhaps he should get my HIIs.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

The other son was a music major (composition) and certainly appreciates great sound reproduction. He did have some nice JBLs, courtesy of his brother. 😄 He got them while living in a dorm. I'll have to check and make sure he didn't slip up and get some Bose. I have some other plans for what I still have, perhaps he should get my HIIs.

The JBL L46 and HK430 setup was a great smaller system.

Zach’s L46 probably need the woofer surrounds redone like mine did.
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...