Klipsch Chorus ii Passive Radiator forte kd16

314carpenter

Unaffiliated. Likely a member here. If you are that member and would like me to take down this thread, I will do that ASAP, just ask. Either way, I wouldn't wait on this ultra rare opportunity. I know of at least 4 here who were looking.

(2) are available.

$189 each

$15 shipping

From the Ad...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124977770181?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338381866&toolid=10001&customid=205aff52-4a50-11ec-b3ab-303932383332

Klipsch Chorus Kd16 Passive Radiator.  Pulled from chorus ii.  These will work in the Chorus ii and forte ii. 

Cones are in excellent condition.  Weights have been added to lower frequency response.  This is a very common mod to do to Chorus and forte speakers..  Two are available and in excellent condition.

These cloth style surround passive radiators are unattainable from Klipsch. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, these are tough to find.  Really don't understand why there are some here that post that they can be obtained from "Klipsch Parts" when that clearly is not the case, and hasn't been for a long time.  If you can confirm that a part is available, then great.  Otherwise how about you stop misleading people?

@314carpenterThanks for posting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few years ago there were some Klipsch drones made that were approved for the Forte II. However they were the new style with the rubber surround and not the cloth accordion surround. I ordered one and was a bit dismayed to see this as I had no idea they were built with that rubber stuff. It really did not look right with the old accordion surround and I never ordered another one since then. I have no idea if they are still available though. Simply Speakers makes a passive recone kit which is not to hard to do. Just make sure you take the weight out of the old drone and put it in the new one. My problem with reconing anymore is trusting sellers to actually have the correct material on hand to truly duplicate OEM specs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

Klipsch , We have Parts

Fixed it ,  Pick up the phone and call Klipsch Parts or send an email  or click any of  these 2 links :

submit your request.        

https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

FYI , Klipsch Parts Sell  drones for the Forte II-III-IV and the Chorus II

Have a very Nice Day, and tell them  @RandyH  sends you , With all His Sincere Compliments .

CUSTOMER SUPPORT /9 AM -4 PM EST.

Klipsch Online Order Support
For assistance with orders placed on Klipsch.com (United States only):
Call 1-800-554-7724 or submit your request.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

just an FYI on the chorus2 KD 16 passive & the suggestion to "pick up the phone & call klipsch"... i called them tues of this week to ask about buying a KD16 passive for my chorus 2,  heres how that went-   i sat on hold for 28 minutes before someone finally answered, i said i was looking to buy a KD16 & possibly a k48 woofer.  i was put on hold for another 11 minutes while the guy checked on the parts.  when he came back i was told they needed my email address & serial numbers from the speakers to "release" info on the passive.  i asked what release meant wondering if maybe they just werent released or available yet, he explained they dont provide info on these without an email & serial number & pushed again for that info, i stated i wasnt at home for the serial # & would have to call back (which i have no intention of doing to wait on hold for a half hour again) i asked if he could just provide a price so i can decide if i want to buy one or repair mine that has a small rip. again i was met with complete unwillingness to even provide a price.  he said they only have 1 available with no ETA for more to come & without a serial# & email they wouldnt sell it or provide any details on it.  i was rather surprised with the response & lack of service i got,  maybe its because i didnt tell them  "@RandyH  sends you , With all His Sincere Compliments .  ??  "

& the current kd16 passive is not the correct accordian fiber surround based on previous comments on here, its the newer rubber surround so finding used ones or doing the simply speaker recone is the best option if you need a chorus2 passive. 

i then asked about the woofer & was told they are NA, i asked if possibly another current model # or pro series was available & he said no, no parts are available for these older speakers including horns, grills etc etc. which is what i was told when i tried to email them a few months ago... took almost 2 months to get a email reply.  so despite what has been stated here regarding klipsch customer service, it still seems to be how its been for well over a year now,  20-30 min wait time on the phone & a month or more for email replies. maybe for models still under warranty its different or if youre a certain special member that claims parts for these older models are available, but for the rest of us their service leaves a lot to be desired.   

3 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

i asked if he could just provide a price so i can decide if i want to buy one or repair mine that has a small rip.

Just repair your speaker.  Why go through this?

This is also timely as a friend has a rip in a JBL woofer.  How do you repair it?  What type of glue?  If the rip does not have any overlap in material, I imagine a piece of material glued tot he back of the cone is the way to go.  What do you use? 

My contribution, Michaels sells acrylic paint for about 80 cents.  Use to paint canvas.  You can make your speakers look like new.  I restored a set of yellowing JBL woofers and they are sparkling clean white with very black centers.  Same for the passives on my Chorus and Forte IIs.

12 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

no parts are available for these older speakers including horns, grills etc etc. which is what i was told when i tried to email them a few months ago... took almost 2 months to get a email reply. 

Welcome to the world of vintage speakers. Been this way for decades. You should try JBL and see what happens. I know some folks who have spent 8X the original MSRP just on restorations for some models because the parts are so hard to find. I already have one whole spare Chorus II JIK, or else I would have purchased one from the listing myself already. 

8 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Unrelated product, as has been argued by many, and confirmed by few. It will fit in the cabinet hole. I think it would be great if you would start a new thread. If I was going to keep a pair of Forte II's long term, I would have already purchased that one just to keep on my shelf for a backup.

Edit: I just noticed the weight is missing on the KD-15 you listed. It will perform very poorly as is.

On 11/27/2021 at 2:09 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Just repair your speaker.  Why go through this?

This is also timely as a friend has a rip in a JBL woofer.  How do you repair it?  What type of glue?  If the rip does not have any overlap in material, I imagine a piece of material glued tot he back of the cone is the way to go.  What do you use? 

My contribution, Michaels sells acrylic paint for about 80 cents.  Use to paint canvas.  You can make your speakers look like new.  I restored a set of yellowing JBL woofers and they are sparkling clean white with very black centers.  Same for the passives on my Chorus and Forte IIs.

yes i plan to repair it, its a small rip.  i just wanted to mention my experience calling or emailing klipsch & that 99% of parts for these speakers are not available from them including correct looking passives. i emailed them a few months ago when it was claimed... parts like woofers & grilles etc were available for these era of speaker & even the original reference series... klipsch does not have parts for these!  & the newer passives (at least the kd16) you have to jump through hoops to get & they are not cosmetically correct.  if simply speakers have the correct accordion cones, why doesnt klipsch?

as for repairing, i have repaired a few klipsch woofers/passives & other brands over the years, for a paper cone like in forte/chorus most people say to use a thin paper like coffee filters or cig rolling papers.  i use the rolling papers since they are very thin & easy to work with, i use elmers glue or wood or hobby glue like aleens white tacky craft glue, works great for many craft projects & dries clear, apply a thin layer of glue to the back side cone area & lay the pre cut piece of paper over the rip/hole, let dry for ~10 minutes & then brush another thin layer over the paper or can even use a 2nd layer of paper/glue if the rip or hole is bigger.   for rips that still have the paper cone material intact & can push it back down, i just use a layer of glue & push the remaining piece back down, usually comes out almost invisible if you wipe any glue residue that oozed out to the front side before it dries. 

for rubber & even foam surrounds i have used an automotive RTV type gasket maker, specifically permatex brand ultra black... its goes on smooth & dries fast & leaves a nice black film that is flexible & has lasted for many years on a few woofer surrounds i have repaired that get abused pretty bad. they make an ultra grey too for those grey colored foam & rubber surrounds. 

thanks for mentioning the michaels paint, thats a good idea for recoloring sun faded cones, i have used a special fabric/vinyl/rubber paint that is common in the automotive restoration world, works great & goes on very thin with little to no residue or build up that a thicker brush on paint can have.         

15 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

Edit: I just noticed the weight is missing on the KD-15 you listed. It will perform very poorly as is.

i sent the seller a message & asked about the weight, its hard to tell in the pics but looks like the weight is there, its the small black disc in the center.  he said he reused the weight from the original passive & has done a few of them with the SS recone kit & they are excellent quality.    

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just re-coned one of my KD16's with the SS kit, and it is perfect and looks completely stock.  I left a review on the SS site as to the directions (as supplied were for a speaker with a voice coil not a passive), but once you figure it out, it works great.  Unlike the originals, the SS cones have an "open" end to accommodate the voice coil, and the originals are "closed" with a formed paper peg the size of the hole in the new cone to attached the spider.  You have to cut the weight/wax cone end off the old cone and when you assemble the new cone it gets inserted into the new cone and epoxied to the new cone and spider.  You need to leave about 1" of old cone above the wax so theres sufficient surface to glue.  The whole assembly (old cone end with wax and weights) was 45.27 grams.  The whole process removing the old cones/spider, cleaning the basket up, trimming, fitting, and reassembling was easy, and took me about 90 minutes going slow and double checking fit and centering etc.  Sounds great and looks perfect.  Note that the pic in the cabinet caught funny light, the cone is not bluish, its darker like the first photo.  Anybody doing this feel free to contact me for help.  

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

Edited by Mark Z
spelling
  • Like 3