Klipsch Chorus ii Passive Radiator forte kd16

314carpenter

9 minutes ago, Mark Z said:

I just re-coned one of my KD16's with the SS kit, and it is perfect and looks completely stock.  I left a review on the SS site as to the directions (as supplied were for a speaker with a voice coil not a passive), but once you figure it out, it works great.  Unlike the originals, the SS cones have an "open" end to accommodate the voice coil, and the originals are "closed" with a formed paper peg the size of the hole in the new cone to attached the spider.  You have to cut the weight/wax cone end off the old cone and when you assemble the new cone it gets inserted into the new cone and epoxied to the new cone and spider.  You need to leave about 1" of old cone above the wax so theres sufficient surface to glue.  The whole assembly (old cone end with wax and weights) was 45.27 grams.  The whole process removing the old cones/spider, cleaning the basket up, trimming, fitting, and reassembling was easy, and took me about 90 minutes going slow and double checking fit and centering etc.  Sounds great and looks perfect.  Note that the pic in the cabinet caught funny light, the cone is not bluish, its darker like the first photo.  Anybody doing this feel free to contact me for help.  

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

looks very nice!  the recone kit is the way to go for correct looking passives, if you have the basket & weight still. 

Yeah no doubt.  I had done some surrounds before, and this was a little more involved but just as easy.  Here's a pic of the  "weight cone" (under the dust cap) intact before I did final trimming and worked it into a perfect circle.  The second photo is the backside that attaches to the spider, you can see the remnants of the old spider I hadn't cleaned off yet (sandpaper worked well).  It's  all hidden under the dust cap, but I figured the more balanced it was and symmetrical, the better the weight distribution remained neutral.  I weighed the "extra" cone material in the same square inches from old cone material, it weighted less than 1.25 grams, so that plus the weight of the epoxy makes it slightly heavier than original, but I can't believe that will make any difference sonically based on ~ 45 grams of weigh total.  

66716775454__98E0F222-74EE-4F8E-8B5A-746B110C5AEC.jpg

82433D2E-33A4-4FCF-BAD7-949944A57CEC.jpeg

Edited by Mark Z
added photo
  • Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 11:37 AM, Mark Z said:

I just re-coned one of my KD16's with the SS kit, and it is perfect and looks completely stock.  I left a review on the SS site as to the directions (as supplied were for a speaker with a voice coil not a passive), but once you figure it out, it works great.  Unlike the originals, the SS cones have an "open" end to accommodate the voice coil, and the originals are "closed" with a formed paper peg the size of the hole in the new cone to attached the spider.  You have to cut the weight/wax cone end off the old cone and when you assemble the new cone it gets inserted into the new cone and epoxied to the new cone and spider.  You need to leave about 1" of old cone above the wax so theres sufficient surface to glue.  The whole assembly (old cone end with wax and weights) was 45.27 grams.  The whole process removing the old cones/spider, cleaning the basket up, trimming, fitting, and reassembling was easy, and took me about 90 minutes going slow and double checking fit and centering etc.  Sounds great and looks perfect.  Note that the pic in the cabinet caught funny light, the cone is not bluish, its darker like the first photo.  Anybody doing this feel free to contact me for help.  

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg