Thoughts on these Klipsch speakers for Atmos 7.2.4 dedicated room

LostBoyNZ

I've got a roughly 3.45 x 5.7 m (11.3 x 18.7 feet) room that I'm going to make into a home cinema, and I'd love to get any thoughts on my speaker choice please.

4 x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II In-Ceiling Speakers (for Ceiling L&R and Ceiling Rear L&R) - 50W RMS / 200W Peak
4 x Klipsch R-5800-W II In-Wall Speaker (for Surround L&R and Surround Rear L&R) - 50W RMS / 200W Peak

2 x XV15se Subwoofers - 550W RMS continuous, 1650W Peak dynamic

In addition to those, I happen to already have these which I used in my previous place and am now intending to sell:

Klipsch RS-62 II Surround Speakers - 150W RMS / 600W Peak
Klipsch RF-7 II Floor Standing Front Speakers - 250W RMS / 1000W Peak
Klipsch RC-64 II Center Speaker - 200W RMS / 800W Peak

Hopefully these in-wall and in-ceiling speakers won't be a big downgrade in terms of big powerful home cinema sound compared to the RS-62 II, but having said that it's not a massive room so having the in-walls has some advantages.

I'm not sure what to use as my fronts and centre though. Klipsch do an R-5502-W II (75W RMS / 300W Peak) so it probably makes sense to get three of those. Or do you think I'd be better to stick to my set of RF-7 II and RC-64 II (possibly just replace the center?).

I have no idea if they would be a good match to the In-Ceilings & In-Walls for Atmos, or if it's better to stick to one series for everything.

A 'false wall' at the front and an acoustically transparent screen would be an option too, although I'd still be limited what I can fit into the side walls.

Edited by LostBoyNZ

I don't see any world where you'll be happy doing what you propose.  If you're building a dedicated theater room, you already have the beginnings of an awesome system in your RF/RS/RC combo.  Build on that.  Nothing in-wall or in-ceiling will come close to them.

The CDT-5800 is a fantastic Atmos speaker, though.

• Like 2

Hopefully these in-wall and in-ceiling speakers won't be a big downgrade

Oh, they certainly are.  The only in-wall or in-ceiling anything I'd ever entertain would be the Atmos pieces.  Would never run in-wall for anything I need to constantly sound good and rich.

Thanks for the replies, this is very useful!!

Just to clarify, you'd recommend going with four CDT-5800 as Atmos speakers in the ceiling, but for the fronts, centre, surrounds and rear surround go with floorstanding / bookshelf style units?

It sounds like a false wall and an acoustically transparent screen would be best then, as it gives me some room for the bigger speakers at the front.

Someone else recommended I consider the THX-6000-LCR. I have no idea if they're a big upgrade over the RF-7 II and RC-64 II or not?

Unless I'm understanding Atmos wrong (please let me know if I am), the RS-62 II firing in two directions (180 degree coverage apparently) isn't ideal for Atmos?

2 hours ago, LostBoyNZ said:

Someone else recommended I consider the THX-6000-LCR. I have no idea if they're a big upgrade over the RF-7 II and RC-64 II or not?

I have heard many things on the 6000-LCR's.  Mostly that if you're just doing movies and nothing else, they sound really good - but that's about it.  If you ever intend to have music in that room, they'll sound like a watered down mess.  If I'm remembering right too, they're older than the 7 II and 64 II, and were never replaced.  So you need to think; if Klipsch didn't replace them and kept on with the 7 and 64's, then that's probably where I'd place my bets.  The only thing I'd swap out in there is the 64 for another 7, but that may not be practical - and if you were to do this, the 6000-LCR would have no leg to stand on to begin with.

Thanks, part of why I originally thought the RF-7 II and RC-64 II etc wouldn't be suitable is I'd read they need to be away from the wall. Depending who the source is, they said anything from 45cm (18") to 60cm (2 feet) or even 1m (3.3 feet) away from the wall.

There wouldn't be enough room either side of the screen to have the speakers beside it and not against the wall, but putting them behind an acoustically transparent screen would be ok, and then I could swap the RC-64 II for another RF-7 II or newer speaker yes. Just with how they need to be away from the wall, I worry about how much closer that's bringing the screen towards the seats.

I don't know about the RF-7 II, my RF-3 II's are around 8" off the wall, which is very close by most accounts.  The RC-7 is closer at 3".  I think in your particular application the 7's close to the wall would perform as well or better than your alternatives.