La Scalas Really Made My Room (or not)

drewogatory

I found that dropping the mids few few dB that they are more balanced and good at any volume, but perhaps 70-80 dB are really, really good.
I've found that with every Klipsch I've owned/heard.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As this has become a little derailed,,,,

The La Scalas were never harsh (maybe when I got my first set, but they had AL crossovers). The first set from '89 looked beautiful and sounded great once I replaced the crossovers. While I awaited parts and built the DHA2 crossovers, I had a pair of ALK universals on loan from @JohnA (I think they were universals). They sounded fine, even at lower volumes. I know they weren't Al's extreme slope design. The DHA2 crossovers were designed by John. Time and circumstances lead me to sell the '89s.

I kept the crossovers as the new owner put in some of Deans models. When I found some beater LS (the cabinets were about all I got), I slowly acquired parts and set them up, again with the DHA2 crossovers, almost new K-33s, K-400 mid horns with EV 1828 drivers (Klipsch also used those for a while, and the Eminence APT150 tweeter (an APT50 driver on a 100x50 horn). It all sounds great at any level in any room they've been in, powered by everything from 3.5 watt SET amps, 35 watt Crown and 300 watt Crown.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Marvel said:

As this has become a little derailed,,,,

@Marvel Hey Bruce,

I did my best. I you want me to rename this thread to something else I will, just something off the top of my head to move these posts to while keeping your thread intact and in line with the general intent of your original post.

Travis

• Like 1