SE 300B Custom Amp Build

Curious_George

• 2 weeks later...

I got my new amp today, Wow Nick really nailed it on this amp!!! Highs are really smooth. Instruments sound so real !!!. Bass is what I call clean and tight no bloat. Build quality is impeccable.

Thanks for this wonderful amp I am really enjoying it

Rich

300B.JPG.fc7cb92c2f5f8811388351ccb9855eb0.JPG

• Like 8

3 hours ago, rmlowz said:

I got my new amp today, Wow Nick really nailed it on this amp!!! Highs are really smooth. Instruments sound so real !!!. Bass is what I call clean and tight no bloat. Build quality is impeccable.

Thanks for this wonderful amp I am really enjoying it

Rich

300B.JPG.fc7cb92c2f5f8811388351ccb9855eb0.JPG

I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of the amp Rich. 

It will take about 50 hours to break-in those 300B's. At least that has been my experience with directly heated triodes. I use to think tube break-in was bogus, but after seeing distortion decrease and gain stabilze as the tubes "broke-in" I was a believer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Amp sounds Awesome!!!! It really amazes me how real the instruments sound. Horns, drums bass guitar, piano you name it.

Right now, I have it connected to Lii Audio S10- W15 combo OBs. Had it connected to my LaScalas awesome as well!!!

Thanks again

Rich

2 minutes ago, rmlowz said:

The Amp sounds Awesome!!!! It really amazes me how real the instruments sound. Horns, drums bass guitar, piano you name it.

Right now, I have it connected to Lii Audio S10- W15 combo OBs. Had it connected to my LaScalas awesome as well!!!

Thanks again

Rich

I listened to the amp extensively on my system and could easily discern all the material in each song. In other words, you can easily hear each instrument and everything at once. Not all amps are that revealing. The attack and decay of the music is also quite amazing.  

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

I notice that you did not install any pots on this build. Is a linestage necessary for this design or can just a buffer or passive linestage be used with our horns? 

This amp will need a preamp of some sort unless the source can provide approximately 1VRMS of signal to drive it to full power. The source will also need a level control. Technically, you could drive it direct and get some power out of it. Probably enough with horn loaded speakers. 

Unless specifically stated, I always design amps with a 1 ~ 2VRMS sensitivity. 

I always use a preamp with all my amps because some degree of tone compensation is always necessary. I’ve tried to listen to music with just gain and it sounds flat and uninviting. 

3 hours ago, Curious_George said:

This amp will need a preamp of some sort unless the source can provide approximately 1VRMS of signal to drive it to full power. The source will also need a level control. Technically, you could drive it direct and get some power out of it. Probably enough with horn loaded speakers. 

Unless specifically stated, I always design amps with a 1 ~ 2VRMS sensitivity. 

I always use a preamp with all my amps because some degree of tone compensation is always necessary. I’ve tried to listen to music with just gain and it sounds flat and uninviting. 

I can honestly agree to the point you make. Ever decades ago when I have connected a source directly to an amp I had the same disappointing impression, even if the sensitivity of the amp was higher than the source like a CD player, up to 2 Volt plus a passive control unit. E.g. a Leak Stereo 20 has a very high input sensitivity or a Quad transistor amp has ca. 0,35 V input sensitivity. Nevertheless only when using an active pre amp the sound gets beef, punch and rhythm in my view.