I-phone 6s

Coytee

I have an Iphone 6s that is provided to me by work.  I had an issue with it so the tech guy got frustrated and essentially said "heck with it" and sent me a new (work) phone.

Couple days later, I emailed him asking how I was going to return the first phone.  His response was essentially "We don't want it back"

Although I'm still waiting for the comment from them as to "where the heck is the phone???"  I've not had that happen yet so maybe they don't want it back.

Which brings me to:

What can I do with it?  It is "preprogrammed" for work with their apps, their security screen (which I know password) to get through.

Can this all be erased and I just make this another phone for myself?  Is it capable enough where I can put a music app on it and essentially, use it as an Ipod?

I know it's old, I know it's outdated.  I know it works and I know it is now, evidently mine.

Depends. Is it managed by them? As in can you reset it and install your own apps. Granted if they don't want it back they may be willing to release it from management lock. I personally have 2 iPhone 6 that I use as streamer devices (mostly Pandora) so a 6s will do for a while until lack of support kills it off. I say go into settings and find the factory reset. IF it goes through and allows you to set it up as "new" you're golden.

Well, isn't this just funny.

Had to charge it as batteries had died.  Picked it up to try to reset.  Password isn't working.  Hmmm....  well, if it's not "this" one, then it must be THAT one.....  and it also failed.

A reset password had come up when all this happened, as it was now evidently "my" phone, I CHANGED it to something I wouldn't forget.....  but my REAL work phone, my "live' one, has my "work" password, not the personal one I just changed.

Should I use my "work" password on the old phone even though I (think) I changed it to a "personal" password??

I don't have much to lose if I buggered it up.  This is turning comical.

Hot dog...

Just reset phone.

It's now seeing  house wi-fi.

It doesn't have any cell data associated with it.

Would I be able to use it as an Ipod type vehicle?  Do I NEED cell access to download an app to have that access?

Edit to add:

Hmmmm....  it is looking for my work for management purposes.  In other words, it's not a 'clean' phone, it still sees the ownership (my word) from work.  It's still processing so I guess I should just see what happens instead of small updates.

If it is managed by your work see if they can release it. Otherwise it will be useless to you. If you get it released you could use it as an iPod in your car provided you load it with music. As I said I use them as streaming devices at home with wifi so no cell service is required just wifi to download apps. Is your new phone an iphone as well? maybe one is managing the other? 

• Like 1

It may still be tied into your works mobile device management and Apple Business Manager account which might give you issues with certain features and adding your own Apple ID.

It should be possible for them to release it on their end at which point a factory reset would give you a clean phone with no strings attached.

My agency has done this for some of our users with old phones but we like to have the old phone in our physical possession to ensure that the reset is actually taking place and we aren’t releasing an unmanaged phone with corporate or HIPAA regulated data on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

Would I be able to use it as an Ipod type vehicle?  Do I NEED cell access to download an app to have that access?

You should be able to download any app if you're signed in to a wifi network.  You just won't be able to use the phone to make calls, text, etc.

I "wiped" the phone and restarted it.  After it went through its progressions.....  "The Company" is still there.

I'm guessing it's a bit deeper than that (or perhaps I did something wrong)

I DO however see the "music notes" indicating a music app that was NOT there previously.

I'm parking this for while, have to run to store for wife, finish work, then tomorrow....blah blah blah...  I HAVE however made progress with the wiping of it.

• Like 1

Story time,

I had some phones in my office that had come back from our office down in Asheville(I think) where we’ve had a lot of employee turnover in our foster care program.

I decided yesterday that I would start going through them and unlocking/resetting them so we could use them as spares in one of our in-home therapy programs where the clients get issued phones. 

I notice that one of the phones is locked but doesn’t have our help desk number at the bottom of the lock screen.

Odd.

I reboot it and hold down the buttons to force it into recovery mode and I get it updated to the latest and greatest iOS via iTunes.

The phone starts up, I join it to our WiFi and it is asking me to sign into the management software.

But it’s not my management software, it’s for another mental health agency here in NC.

So now I’m trying to figure out why I’ve got someone else’s old iPhone 7.

• Moderators
On 12/1/2021 at 6:58 PM, Invidiosulus said:

Story time,

I had some phones in my office that had come back from our office down in Asheville(I think) where we’ve had a lot of employee turnover in our foster care program.

I decided yesterday that I would start going through them and unlocking/resetting them so we could use them as spares in one of our in-home therapy programs where the clients get issued phones. 

I notice that one of the phones is locked but doesn’t have our help desk number at the bottom of the lock screen.

Odd.

I reboot it and hold down the buttons to force it into recovery mode and I get it updated to the latest and greatest iOS via iTunes.

The phone starts up, I join it to our WiFi and it is asking me to sign into the management software.

But it’s not my management software, it’s for another mental health agency here in NC.

So now I’m trying to figure out why I’ve got someone else’s old iPhone 7.

I would be more.concerned with what digital images might be on any of those phones you are in "possession" of.

Does a reset wipe all photos and videos, even from recovery software?