Terminal strip for La Scala bass bin

Dave MacKay

I've been trying to find the terminal strips that connect the inside of the bass bin to the squawker/tweeter "shelf" on my 1988-era La Scalas. I think they're "dual row, 2 pole, open back" terminal strips (or barrier strips).

(I don't need them for my La Scalas, they're for a subwoofer I'm building).

The terminal strips are mounted back-to-back, one on either side of the wood panel that forms the top of the bass bin. The one on the inside of the bass bin is connected to the woofer. The one on the opposite side of the wood panel (i.e., the bottom of the compartment for the tweeter and squawker) is connected to the network. Each pole on the two terminal strips is connected to its mate on the other terminal strip with machine screws that pass through the wood panel.

The tricky bit is that it must be possible to connect the two strips; the ones I've found are solid plastic (not open backs) which makes them unsuitable.

I've looked for suitable terminal strips at my local electronics suppliers, but have not been successful. Similarly, I haven't found what I'm looking for at Parts Express. If they're in the Digikey or Mouser catalogues, I haven't been able to narrow the choices down to find what I need..

I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me to where I could find these terminal strips. 

Thanks in advance.

TS.JPG

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, billybob said:

Thanks for pointing that out, but it has a closed back so that two can't be connected on either side of a panel.

• Like 1

I thought they were like the one pictured, with rge wire coming thoigh a hole and attached to one side of the barrier strip. The hole is sealed with caulk. The wires to the crossover connect to the other terminals.

That's how the wires come out of the MWMs I have.

20210225_193823.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Plastic is no match for a sharp drill bit.

Very true!  You can also get them with just the two screws on top, and a square pin that would go through the cabinet and you solder the wire onto the pin.

It's only 1/2 inch on the one I found, but you could feed the wire through two holes and solder, then screw down the barrier strip.

I never paid attention to my original LS and the beater pair was done a different way.

0387112202.JPG

• Thanks 1

I was able to find the terminal strips I was looking for at an electronics surplus shop. In case the information might be useful for others, I'll share the product information here.

They are made by CINCH Connector Division and are called a "barrier block". They are CINCH part number 2-142. Here's the web page that describes them:

https://www.belfuse.com/product/part-details?partn=2142

The connector is rated to carry up to 30A and/or 7500 Watts. It can accommodate up to a #10 wire. The data sheet can be found here:

https://www.belfuse.com/resources/datasheets/cinchconnectivitysolutions/industrialcinch/ds-CCS-IND-barrier-blocks-142-series.pdf

They take an 8-32 machine screw. A screw of >2" will allow me to mount two back to back on either side of a 3/4" panel.

They should do nicely for what I need.

terminal strip.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/26/2021 at 2:18 PM, Dave MacKay said:

I was able to find the terminal strips I was looking for at an electronics surplus shop. In case the information might be useful for others, I'll share the product information here.

They are made by CINCH Connector Division and are called a "barrier block". They are CINCH part number 2-142. Here's the web page that describes them:

https://www.belfuse.com/product/part-details?partn=2142

I have learned that the barrier block I purchased was mislabelled at the store. Although the CINCH 2-142 will work, it is larger than what was originally used on the La Scala (and other Klipsch speakers). 

A more suitable part is the CINCH 2-141. The CINCH 2-141 takes a #6-32 x 1/4 machine screw and can accommodate up to 14 AWG wire. I do not know if the part originally used by Klipsch was a CINCH 2-141. Although similar, the 2-141 does not have the markings that the barrier blocks on Klipsch speakers had. 

An alternative to the CINCH 2-141 would be the Marathon Special Products 601 GP 02.

Other barrier blocks that might be suitable are the Eaton-Bussmann TB200 (TB200-2, TB200-2BS, or TB200-2B) or the Molex Beau 38780-0202.

• The datasheet for the Eaton-Bussmann part doesn't specify if the back is open or closed (we want open). [I contacted the company and learned that it has a closed back so that one would have to drill through.]
  • Although the Molex part has a closed back (which one would have to drill through) it can be ordered with markings similar to what Klipsch used.

I have attached datasheets for the Cinch, Marathon, and Molex barrier blocks. The datasheet for the Eaton-Bussmann part is too large to upload. It can be found at: https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/electrical-circuit-protection/fuses/bussmann-series-connector-products/double-row-connectors/bus-ele-cat-1007-flc-2017-sec-10-connectors.pdf

Molex - 387800202_sd.pdf Cinch 141.pdf

Marathon (Newark) 601-GP-02.pdf

Edited by Dave MacKay
Info re: Eaton Bussmann terminal block