RP 8000 F Modification Project

MicroMara

4 hours ago, AndreG. said:

RP8000F is too new for a diagram to be around, my guess... Thanks for taking the plunge to explore!

We´re allready busy in this matter . I´ll agree as far as I know  x-over schematics from actual models won´t be published , be patience , will report in a couple of weeks ....it´s not about the x-over alone....it´s a complete moddy project  but not so elaborate as mine with the RF7 EvoTec

• MicroMara changed the title to RP 8000 F Modification Project

We have disassembled the RP 8000 F today for the first time and found the following .....

The cabinet inside

1362280602_RP8000FGehuse.thumb.jpg.175c6fbc426d4018e7ac59d8e9060981.jpg

The Horndriver and the woofer

1171454613_RP8000FChassis.thumb.jpg.197c687585ebed601de14cf8a2ac2d1d.jpg320001983_RP8000FHorntreiber.thumb.jpg.ea5c984f30e7e1ea5c5a3a6d9d2e078b.jpg

The X-Over is the same as from the RP 280 F

316299165_RP8000FX-Over.thumb.jpg.bea4a77c1abf29751d2c785c1335e46b.jpg

117994584_RP8000Fx-over2.thumb.jpg.4d98a9b81d9356236360ef8a7e89d35d.jpg

The Terminal  inside with the binding posts

1747494272_RP8000FTerminal.thumb.jpg.4f317987449f422094ee70e2579351a3.jpg

2054105894_RP8000FPolklemmen.thumb.jpg.ae86ca1750e5a53e5fdee90dd5430833.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like a fairly healthy horn driver they've obviously improved upon the older standard 1" drivers-- I really haven't paid much attention to this line since around the RF-35 days with exception to the RF-7 II's. Looks like a fun project!

looks like

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Seems like You guys will have to break new ground here. 

Looks like...... as we did not get any reply here ......

We have already measured the values of the air coils for the High- as well as Low Pass and make a new X-over schematic .  My friend decided to build the new x-over exclusively with Mundorf copper nickel resistors and Jantzen superior capacitors and Jantzen wax coils. The material we need are ordered.

Klipsch writes in its product description about the drivers of the RP 8000 F the following ....

" A vented tweeter design reduces standing waves behind the tweeter diaphragm for a smoother high frequency reproduction. The titanium tweeter diaphragm's light weight yet rigid composition exceeds the performance of aluminum, polymer or silk tweeters. Klipsch award-winning Linear Travel Suspension technology leverages a piston motion of the titanium diaphragm that lowers distortion and delivers real-to-life soundA ceramic magnet housing provides premium performance, Klipsch Reference Premiere tweeters set the standard in acoustic reproduction " .

" Klipsch Proprietary Cerametallic™ woofers are the RP-8000F floorstanding speaker signature statement for both sound and aesthetics. This extremely light, rigid materials holds its shape while being able to deliver lower frKlipsch Cerametallic™ cones are matted to a dual-layer, copper-wound voice coil for exceptional conductivity.

Reference Premiere woofers are housed in a non-resonating, stamped-steel basket that’s secured to a large magnet motor for exceptional efficiency and low distortion, and matched to our Horn-loaded tweeters for optimal acoustic execution.equencies with maximum efficiency " .

And because that is so , the refinement of the x-over will unite as harmoniously sonically as I experienced with my own modification of the RF7 MK II to the RF7 EvoTec.

Of course, they won´t be  longer original Klipsch RP 8000 F speakers. Than these will be our own speakers ..that was mentioned in the Klipsch Community several times by @Chief bonehead

So far so good 😉 .....we achieved a lot within the last 12 hours ...

Gonna keep you updated ...step by step ....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Then the RP 8000 F was reassembled because the x-over components, Jantzen wax coils, Jantzen capacitors and Mundorf copper nickel resistors will be delivered in January 2022. 

Thats´a first Messurement , done with audyssey 1150139604_ersteMessungen.jpg.54020986f481ace384888a7b3e105ab7.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

Did You modify both at the same time or could you A/B them and hear any differences with the mods so far?

We previously had massive room modes at 110 Hz , as well as at 60 Hz , these have disappeared only because of the modifications made so far.

• Like 1

A great job!

I have RP-280F and I'm satisfied of the sound, but now have a problem and I hope you can help me to solve.

My klipsh are powered by a Denon PMA-700V, 105w rms/250 peak x channel. Yesterday the R1 ceramic resistance on the 2 crossovers exploded at the same time and killed the tweeters. I've seen that the crossover on 8000 is the same of RP-280. On my R1 the label is deleted and I'm non able to understand the specs of yours 10W r1: 3R5J, I've tryed to find one but no results. Can you tell me how many ohms have R1? I suppose it is 3,5 ohm, but I've found in commerce only 3,3 or 3,9 ohm. Eventually, In your opinion, wich of two could be compatible?  

Thanks a lot for your reply, and apologize for my bad english.

Klipsh crossover.jpg

Edited by Crab2k
  • Like 2

@Crab2k  Good moring to you . Well your english is good enought that I understand your question. You may have seen that I´m a germany guy 😇 , don´t know where you´re from , but it doesn´t matter. However you can choose a MOX Resisitor  3,9 Ohm / 10 Watt , they´re available all over the globe . The differences in this resistor can be tolerated. We did the same on our moddy project.  The destroyed tweeters need new diafragms , you can get the here or you send them to these companys , they´ll fix them for you.

https://reconingspeakers.com/brand/klipsch/

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-speaker-replacement-diaphragms.html

Thanx a lot for your reply , you´re almost welcome .

• Like 2