Suitable replacement for KD-13 for Forte 1?

jhoweaa

I have a pair of Forte 1's that I purchased many years ago. One of the passive radiators was severely damaged by our cat. I've been trying to find a replacement for years and it seems nearly impossible to find KD-13s. Is it possible to use something like a KD-12 instead? 

Thanks!

Jim

35 minutes ago, jhoweaa said:

I have a pair of Forte 1's that I purchased many years ago. One of the passive radiators was severely damaged by our cat. I've been trying to find a replacement for years and it seems nearly impossible to find KD-13s. Is it possible to use something like a KD-12 instead? 

Thanks!

Jim

Jim , I would inquire with Klipsch Parts , they may sell the original  part you're looking for ,

Call Klipsch Parts or send an email  or click any of These 2 links :

submit your request.        

https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

CUSTOMER SUPPORT /9 AM -4 PM EST.

Klipsch Online Order Support
For assistance with orders placed on Klipsch.com (United States only):
Call 1-800-554-7724 or submit your request.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jhoweaa said:

Thanks!

Jim

You can get the passive radiator reconed by Midwest Speakers, Simply Speakers, or The Speaker Exchange.

klipsch does not have passives for forte1's or cosmetically correct ones for forte2/chorus2.   they have stated numerous times they dont carry most parts for these old speakers.  save yourself the 15-20+ minute hold times & 1-2 months email reply times. 

& the speaker repair places dont have recone kits for the forte passive with the inverted rubber surround. 

@jhoweaa your best bet is to keep searching for a used KD13, they do pop up occasionally on ebay etc.  or, depending on how bad the damage is, you can attempt to repair yours, not hard to do if the rip/tear isnt too big or missing material, wont look pretty but will be functional until you can find a replacement.  & try posting a wanted ad in the garage sale section. 

best of luck locating one.     

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Jbanville said:

I recently found a pair of these KD-13's that appear to be in excellent condition. Any idea what they're worth?

Welcome to the Forum   -------75-100$ a piece ---- please post the pictures ,  what is your Location

23 hours ago, Jbanville said:

I recently found a pair of these KD-13's that appear to be in excellent condition. Any idea what they're worth?

you can post these KD-13 passive woofers on the Garage Sale section of the Forum -

On 11/26/2021 at 10:45 AM, jhoweaa said:

it seems nearly impossible to find KD-13s. Is it possible to use something like a KD-12 instead? 

Thanks!

Jim

Since they appear to be physically the same but with a different part number my guess is that they're weighted differently. If you can weigh them both and the kd-12 is the lighter of the two then easy enough to add the weight you need to even them out, If they are heavier you may need to try and remove the weights and swap them out, If the weight is close and you find a pair you could just swap both passives out, I really doubt the tuning would be significantly off if they close in weight but either way I'd try and keep both speakers the same whatever you do.

I contacted Speaker Exchange to discuss a repair and they told me that they contacted Klipsch and there was 1 KD-13 remaining and would I like it. I said yes. I received it a few days ago. I believe it is a KD-13-K and it looks different than my originals, but I guess I'm not surprised since my Forte speakers are probably a very early model manufactured in January 1987. It's too bad they couldn't find 2 speakers so that they would match.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jhoweaa said:

I contacted Speaker Exchange to discuss a repair and they told me that they contacted Klipsch and there was 1 KD-13 remaining and would I like it. I said yes. I received it a few days ago. I believe it is a KD-13-K and it looks different than my originals, but I guess I'm not surprised since my Forte speakers are probably a very early model manufactured in January 1987. It's too bad they couldn't find 2 speakers so that they would match.

@jhoweaa   as you see KLIPSCH is the only source for the KD-13

Please  ask Speaker Exchange  to create a Back-order order in their klipsch ordering system  or place a back-order directly with Klipsch  for a 2nd KD-13-K  - 

A back-order is the only way , to get ahead of the  waiting list  since other customers who will also be ordering KD-13-K  .  

-whenever the item will be back in Stock in the klipsch Warehouse , you would be contacted  .