The Venerable Harman / Kardon 430

BadChile

So...my father-in-law reclaimed ownership of his Sansui TR-707 I restored so I was left with a desire to scratch my solid state itch.  A couple days of patient browsing led to a two month old listing for a Harman Kardon 430 at a dusty record store I'd never heard a 30 minute drive away.  Yeah, sure it had some issues but I figured a drive was in order and sure enough, it was still on the shelf. Being the day before Thanksgiving I didn't even negotiate but still got a discount.

Opening her up, few spritz of DeOxIt fixed all the sticky buttons and scratchy pots, but a few caps showed the unmistakable signs of age. Replacing the puffy caps with some Elna Simlic IIs I had sitting around in the proper values (side note: I'm now that guy - "let me check the parts bin, I think I have what I need, oh, look at that!") and plugging her in....wow.

Been playing now for a couple days with the Heresy IIIs and I'm in love. My poor Elekit TU-8200 sits forlorn like a spurned lover as the middle-aged solid state beauty sings with the voice of a Siren. Dare I say my father-in-law can keep his Sansui - the H/K has it beat in every metric.

Planning on replacing a few more caps and the transistors, but to be honest that is fixing problems that aren't there (yet).

Obligatory photo below because I can't get enough of this glow...

IMG_20211127_1714307.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• BadChile changed the title to The Venerable Harman / Kardon 430
  • 6 months later...

Nice- Ive got my 430 running with some H2s as I type this. I keep meaning to recap it, but everything works and it sounds good so it just hasnt been a priority. I had a 730 at the same time as the 430 and liked the sound of the 430 better, although since neither was rebuilt it wasnt fair. Enjoy- they definitely make magic together.

Edited by Crang
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have a 430 that needs new caps and lights. I have a list of caps for DJK that he said should get replaced. He even pointed out which issues would be fixed by the different caps. I've just been too lazy to get to is.

Diz sent me a 630 (and I thank you very much)! Works great, but the tuner only plays in mono. I haven't felt like taking it in to be worked on, and when I am using the tuner it means we're cleaning and moving around the house so it doesn't really matter. Tuntable or other aux inputs work correctly.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...