Pictures of your vintage audio gear.

henry4841

We have a picture of your tube gear thread so not to discriminate I started this thread. The gear from the 70's just have a look you do not find in modern equipment. I did what I would call a complete restoration of this Sony receiver. Replaced all the electrolytic capacitors except one that checked fine that I did not have in stock. Forgive me but I did not want to combine 2 to make the correct value. Cleaned the pots and aligned. Did some repairs to the beautiful walnut case and it now sits in my bedroom. I had a Sony receiver in the 70's and in my opinion was one of the best looking ones ever made.  

P1030926.JPG

P1030927.JPG

• Like 8

@henry4841 Your Sony is a beauty!

1060.JPG.73c870db004d0cf9a0b2b6ec02032eb9.JPG

This is my 1973 Marantz 1060. I bought it in 1974 and used it for several years. In the late 80s, I replaced it with a Denon integrated then later with a Rotel multi-channel system.

A few years ago, I thought I might sell it since I wasn't using it. I pulled it out of storage, cleaned it up, and replaced a switch that had gone bad. The walnut case had dried out a bit over the years so I cleaned it, gave it a once over with some 0000 steel wool, then a few coats of finish oil. Other than the worn screen printing over the Power button, it looks great. So great that I decided to keep it with plans to someday re-cap it.

I finally tackled the rebuild a couple of years ago with new/larger caps and replaced the output transistors at the same time. My brother-in-law has a stock 1060 of approximately the same vintage and we put them together one day so we could A/B them to see if we could really tell a difference. We could, and it was pretty amazing. The upgrade turned this already good amp into something special and I've been using it since. I don't plan to let this one go.

• Like 14

The Sony & the 1060 look great.

Here's my Marantz 1060.

I purchased this about 12 months ago from the "States". It had been totally refurbished with all new caps, resistors, everything cleaned & a new black faceplate.

I used to drool over these back in the 70's, but couldn't afford to buy one.

It sounds better than I remember them & can hold its own with any of the new more modern designs. 

MARANTZ 1060 6.jpg

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, sootshe said:

The Sony & the 1060 look great.

Here's my Marantz 1060.

I purchased this about 12 months ago from the "States". It had been totally refurbished with all new caps, resistors, everything cleaned & a new black faceplate.

I used to drool over these back in the 70's, but couldn't afford to buy one.

It sounds better than I remember them & can hold its own with any of the new more modern designs. 

Wow, that is stunning! I really like the black faceplate. I may look for one.

• Like 1

Marantz had some of the nicest looking gear in the 70's. Pricey back then and more so today. Both of the 1060's look really nice.

A trick I learned from a guy on youtube for the old wood cabinets. He used some of the automotive hand cleaners such as Goop. I do not like GoJo because of the smell but it should work as well. It will clean and oil the wood at the same time. I gel stain for scratches. Fruitwood gel stain matches most walnut I have done. An iron and wet wash cloth will raise dents and gouges but one has to be careful not to get the finish too hot if it has a lacquer or poly finish or you will have to sand and finish the entire surface. Which is really not that big a job being a cabinet is not that big. You do not find walnut veneered plywood these days for audio gear. 

Technics SA-800 under the dbx 3bx Series 2.  My first piece of stereo was a Technics SA-200.  Back then in 1978 Technics had a very large line of receivers, nine in all, each one with a little more power and one or two more switches or knobs until you got to the top of line.  The amps sounded fine until you compared it to anything else.  I came across the SA-800 by chance in a friend's warehouse and it works fine as a tuner preamp for me.

Technics SA800 c .jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, sootshe said:

Beautiful looking Sansui. 👍

Looked your Sansui up on the net.....what a beast....300 watts per channel & they command a huge price these days. 

I didn't realise it was a 2 piece unit. The power amp & pre amp are two seperate units that bolt together.

That ones a keeper!!

• Like 1