Topping PA5 is incredible.

CoryGillmore

So now I'm hearing the most realistic presentation I've ever heard of the best selling Jazz recording of all time. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. The Mastering on the SACD, even played in 2 channel is incredible. There is zero compression on the recording 'cause I have to turn up by +20 db vs. the "typical recording." Dead quiet and 3D, every nuance revealed without harshness. Nothing screams it's just buttery smooth. I'm blown away by every favorite recording/music I've thrown at this thing. I'm afraid of ever re-doing room EQ, for fear it will spoil it. Kudos to the OP about this.

For the first time in 30 years, and 4 versions of this, I'm hearing every nuance of Bill Evan's Piano. Subtle harmonics whisper at you as you crane your head to listen harder and, there it is!! A real piano in your room. 

Corey, you should tell Roy to OEM these thing as part of the Jubilee Package. If you include amps then it will be "Bring your own Signal" or the short version, "Bring IT!"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So now I'm hearing the most realistic presentation I've ever heard of the best selling Jazz recording of all time. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. The Mastering on the SACD, even played in 2 channel is incredible. There is zero compression on the recording 'cause I have to turn up by +20 db vs. the "typical recording." Dead quiet and 3D, every nuance revealed without harshness. Nothing screams it's just buttery smooth. I'm blown away.

I get this...I hear people talking about clinical vs. musical, but I'm not sure I understand the distinction. To me, that clinical detail is incredibly musical. I love hearing those surprising little nuances I have never heard before. The little things the artist has slipped in that is just so right. That's musical.

2 minutes ago, richieb said:

Thanks Westie. 
How the helll are the preamp and speaker’s connected? Certainly not a standardized format?

I use a DAC straight into this little amp. XLR output to TRS input. Fully balanced. Two inputs are Selectable on the amp. The amp has a trim level, I leave it all the way up as it is a low gain amp anyhow.   Other than that, turn the amp on and listen to absolutely nothing. 

• Like 1

Just now, richieb said:

Use it freely😄. And bananas for speaker input? And you’re liking what you “don’t hear”? 

Correct.   This little amp is crazy good for the money.   It's no super high end SS amp though when you get down to the fine details.   This is shockingly close in performance to the hypex IMO.

15 minutes ago, richieb said:

Thanks for the clarification. I can relate to the Hypex comparison and you probably saved me a few bucks. Since I believe the Benchmark plays above the Hypex than so it must the Topping. 

I would say this little pa5 it at least 75% as good as the hypex for 1/4 the price.   If better is a must, I still prefer the hypex over this amp.  I'll keep my plinius regardless and rotate the PA5 in from time to time. Enjoying it now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I would say this little pa5 it at least 75% as good as the hypex for 1/4 the price.   If better is a must, I still prefer the hypex over this amp.  I'll keep my plinius regardless and rotate the PA5 in from time to time. Enjoying it now. 

Did you warm it up for 48 hours and then leave it on forever? Apparently that's a thing with class D I'm reading...

As to the Hypex comparison. Mine is from the Kit NC-400, about 6-7 years ago. It' buried behind my electronics in my upstairs HT system. I'm not pulling it out do to listen to them on the Titan II's downstairs. I'll be starting my 5th year in this house and those monoblocs have never been turned off in 4 years. Both sets of R and L channel speakers (SH-50 upstairs, and Titans downstairs) have Passive Networks. The SH has a very complex network, while the Titans have the simplest one possible. The Upstairs setup is 4 ohms and 100 db/Watt rating.

I don't know where the knob on the PA5 is turned because it was pretty dark when I level matched it using Pink Noise.

For full horn systems that have 106 db/W sensitivity, low gain is a bonus. It drives the already low noise that approaches a negative 130 db even further down if the gain knob has not reached it's mechanical rotation limit.

My Titan II's have 106 db/W sensitivity. I'm driving the 8 ohm JBL 2220 woofer (optimized by design, for 100-500 Hz. use in the bass horn thru a 1.85 mH iron core choke. The midrange horn's driver is 16 ohms, so I use a 16 ohm resistor in series with the 10 mH capacitor because I have to knock down the output from 112 db to 106 to match the W and T. The 8 ohm tweeter gets a 1 uF capacitor. Subwoofer driven by it's own Amp runs from 25-80 Hz. Without Room EQ tweaks, the system is reasonably flat to 25Hz.-20 Khz. It's extremely high resolution and super low distortion, in accordance the goals of PWK's 4 principles.

Since I'm known for my Super Heresy Mod, Super MWM and Quarter Pie Design, and getting people to use a Kappa 15C in their LaScalas and Belles, I have Modded the Edgarhorns to get the very best performance out of them. The MAIN thing I've done is to Time Align the Mid and Bass, along with making a crossover that is Simpler, Cheaper, and Better than what Dr. Bruce Edgar (RIP 1 year ago) recommended in his last autographed schematic of 2007, same year I heard Underground Jubilees.

So if you look at the system that includes my head position, room, using all horns, the very best DAC chips in the Pre Pro, driven by Oppo 103, I have created a System of Superior Acoustic RESOLUTION with the Lowest distortion possible using ALL HORNS.

So back to my philosophy about Amps in general. The difference I can now clearly HEAR, given reasonable gain matching and listening at the same SPL as before.

The Audible/Resolvable difference I hear is the Synergetic INTERACTION with the speaker impedance variables and NOT the Laboratory Measurements that are done with a RESITOR load.

I'll be adding an even cheaper option (less than $40) to the listening test mix "down the road apiece."

Meanwhile I am deliriously happy with the "best bang for buck" choices I have made.

I'll also provide a list of CD's I have used for the Listening Tests, plus what to listen for in each song, should anyone want to do the same.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, richieb said:

Thanks for the clarification. I can relate to the Hypex comparison and you probably saved me a few bucks. Since I believe the Benchmark plays above the Hypex than so it must the Topping. 

You can Verbally Resist the positive vibes and words created by those of us who have satisfied our own curiosity (in my case,6 weeks after the Lab Data was published)....................or you can roll the dice with a $350 bet by getting one for yourself.

If it's not your cup of tea in any way, you can list it on Ebay or in the Garage Sale Section for $300 after a month, and just call it RENT.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You can Verbally Resist the positive vibes and words created by those of us who have satisfied our own curiosity (in my case,6 weeks after the Lab Data was published)....................or you can roll the dice with a $350 bet by getting one for yourself.

If it's not your cup of tea in any way, you can list it on Ebay or in the Garage Sale Section for $300 after a month, and just call it RENT.

I agree with your assessment and a reason to roll the dice. And in this hobby it is an inexpensive roll. I have said for years the way most of us go through gear we are indeed just leasing equipment - 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

I agree with your assessment and a reason to roll the dice. And in this hobby it is an inexpensive roll. I have said for years the way most of us go through gear we are indeed just leasing equipment - 

As my wife will quickly point out (and, in this instance she is right), my problem is that I never get rid of anything. It just goes into the storage room with the claim that I might use it again someday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Maybe not the correct spot, but think with the people active on this thread, the question can be answered. My first thought reading though this was I need two and them to be monoblocks. Based on @richieb and @Westcoastdrumsback and forth that looks to be not possible. Stick with me don't stop reading....

I have a 2-way, bi-amped active system (Xillica) Each speaker has two 15" woofers and an 8" full range speaker. I've got the 8" mids covered with a First Watt J2 (at least for now).

I think this is totally doable but figured I run it by the tribunal. Can I set up the Xillica 8080 such that I have two identical Left outputs and two identical Right outputs. Run the two Lefts from Xillica to PA50#1 R&L then connect one channel to Left woofer 1 and the other to Left woofer 2. Then repeat the same idea for the Right.

Not running the PA50 as a monbock per se, but one amp per side. Where the side has two woofers.

I'm thinking if good results then possibly a 3rd PA50 as a test to see how it stack up against the First Watt space heater.

Doable?

For context I'm currently running dual Crown XLS 1002 (bridged). One for each side. Meaning one bridged channel powering 2 x 15". 

30 minutes ago, rplace said:

Doable?

Why not?.....I say yes it is do-able. There will be minute (as in not detectable by MY ears)differences because the analog electronics in the the Xilica are not built with 0% tolerance parts. Probably true of the 2 channels in the PA5 also.