Omicron (B.1.1.529): SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern

314carpenter

Omicron is the fifth coronavirus variant of concern named by the WHO. The other four are: alpha, beta, gamma and delta.

26 November 2021

https://www.who.int/news/item/26-11-2021-classification-of-omicron-(b.1.1.529)-sars-cov-2-variant-of-concern

28 November 2021

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/enhancing-readiness-for-omicron-(b.1.1.529)-technical-brief-and-priority-actions-for-member-states

28 November 2021

https://www.who.int/news/item/28-11-2021-update-on-omicron

Now you can track this variant from the very start. Observe for yourself how a highly infectious disease spreads across the globe.

https://www.gisaid.org/hcov19-variants/

These variants do have a way of dying out though. Mu was the last Covid variant to reach "variant of interest" status. Lambda before that. Check out the www.gisaid.org link I provided to view the charts on those now relatively dead variants.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fish said:

Life's really short...enjoy it. Here today, gone tomorrow. One day of a Great Life is worth a week of living one.

That is what my Son-In-Law kept saying to me. Seriously. I say it too, but then I do allow myself restraint and willingly accept sacrifice as a hedge against certain life gambles. Not everyone needs to be, or should be one way, or the other. 

I just wanted to let you all know that right now, my Son-In-Law (Joe) is spending what may actually end up being his last remaining days on Earth laying face down on his Covid deathbed in a Lacrosse, Wisconsin hospital Covid-19 ICU ward. Three weeks prior having received a positive Covid-19 test. At a local hospital just last week, he was fighting the nurses hard against their recommendation of him being intubated, such a nice guy he is, right until he was all but passed out. The hospital staff finally intubated him just hours before he was Flight For Life helicoptered across the state. This is just a few days ago. He is at this time on full medical support. His prognosis is, if he does survive, he will likely require at least one lung transplant. One lung has now gone hard, and may soon collapse, or even explode. Who knows at this point what's happening to the rest of his organs as the disease has free reign and ravishes his body while his immune system is beat down from the blood cancer he recovered from just 4 years ago. Not like a live for today personality type to set up proper and legal family planning, JIK, you know? I know, it just takes time and money away from all the fun that can be had.

Reflecting upon this now, I suppose my wife and I probably will need to figure out how we are to now care for a daughter and one minor grandchild, 2 adult grandchildren. Financially, emotionally, legally, what else? His estate is entirely a mess. Thanks Son. You really did really well holding out on common sense and going full rebel on your way out. We should all learn a great lesson from your lifetime of anti-conformism. Allow me to be your voice tonight Joe, as your airways are entirely too full of plastic tubing... Go Proud Boys! **** Vaccines! **** Covid! We all love you Joe. Always have. Please have forgiveness for me. For you own sake, and for the sake of those gathered around you, tonight I pray for you, a swift and painless death.

• Sad 3

That is very sad to read.

I hope you all find the strength to deal with such bad situation.

I did not quite catch if your Son-In-Law had covid before or if he was vaccinated. 

There is always a chance the infection can go bad, even among young and healthy people. Especially if their immune system had not a chance to adapt to the virus.

I know of two twin brothers 17 years old, sportsmen, who barely survived. One is learning to speak and walk again, and the other is also in very bad condition.

• Like 1

All this is terrible.  Extremely sad.  Two people (cousin, 2nd cousin) in my family ended up in the COVID ICU for extended period, unvaccinated.  And yet several other cousins remain unvaccinated.  I'm trying to limit my news intake due to over saturation, but like the forum, it is hard to look away.

15 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

That is what my Son-In-Law kept saying to me. Seriously. I say it too, but then I do allow myself restraint and willingly accept sacrifice as a hedge against certain life gambles. Not everyone needs to be, or should be one way, or the other. 

I just wanted to let you all know that right now, my Son-In-Law (Joe) is spending what may actually end up being his last remaining days on Earth laying face down on his Covid deathbed in a Lacrosse, Wisconsin hospital Covid-19 ICU ward. Three weeks prior having received a positive Covid-19 test. At a local hospital just last week, he was fighting the nurses hard against their recommendation of him being intubated, such a nice guy he is, right until he was all but passed out. The hospital staff finally intubated him just hours before he was Flight For Life helicoptered across the state. This is just a few days ago. He is at this time on full medical support. His prognosis is, if he does survive, he will likely require at least one lung transplant. One lung has now gone hard, and may soon collapse, or even explode. Who knows at this point what's happening to the rest of his organs as the disease has free reign and ravishes his body while his immune system is beat down from the blood cancer he recovered from just 4 years ago. Not like a live for today personality type to set up proper and legal family planning, JIK, you know? I know, it just takes time and money away from all the fun that can be had.

Reflecting upon this now, I suppose my wife and I probably will need to figure out how we are to now care for a daughter and one minor grandchild, 2 adult grandchildren. Financially, emotionally, legally, what else? His estate is entirely a mess. Thanks Son. You really did really well holding out on common sense and going full rebel on your way out. We should all learn a great lesson from your lifetime of anti-conformism. Allow me to be your voice tonight Joe, as your airways are entirely too full of plastic tubing... Go Proud Boys! **** Vaccines! **** Covid! We all love you Joe. Always have. Please have forgiveness for me. For you own sake, and for the sake of those gathered around you, tonight I pray for you, a swift and painless death.

Very sad, my condolences to the family and wishes for a recovery. We all should live the life we want, it comes with consequences for us all. They must be weighed against ones responsibilities and commitments.

11 hours ago, Deang said:

There have been 14 deaths in my extended circle. All unvaccinated.

It's every man for himself at this point. As they say, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I am so sorry you have suffered so much. I had no idea. I have not had to suffer this myself.

On your second point. 

IMOP Everyone has the right to believe what they will. Vax or anti-vax, travel or shelter, pro or con science, etc. I personally do not care what choices an individual decides for themselves. Everyone is correct when they follow what they truly believe in. I don't want to, or even try to convince anyone of anything. I only provide and share personal experiences and information because ignorance is not a valid excuse. What I do care about most is how another individuals choices effect me, directly or not. What I am saying is that what ever choices you make, be sure you have your affairs in order. Care about someone besides yourself. Protect those around you. Be willing to compromise to meet the immediate needs and wishes of those around you that may not share your own beliefs. Ask yourself, what is more important? Masking up/vaxing up, or making sure you have the following...

Advance directive

Durable power of attorney for health care

Revocable living trust

Will

Durable financial power of attorney

Good health Insurance

6+ months emergency fund

Final wishes and arrangements planning

• Like 2

Maybe I didn't use the best word. Circle = family and people I personally know/spend time with. Extended Circle are people those people know and spend time with.

We did almost lose my Father-in-Law, who after barely being able to breathe for two days, decided to skip the hospital, and instead collapsed in his brother's driveway while trying to talk him into giving up some of his hydroxychloroquine. He was admitted for three days and released because they needed the bed for someone worse. He spent another week at home in bed. As soon as he was able to walk he got vaccinated. 

46 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

I personally do not care what choices an individual decides for themselves.

So you're okay with me polishing off a 1/5 and climbing into my car for a nice drive in the country.

The argument is flawed. A person's freedom stops at the point that another's safety is put in jeopardy. That's why we have laws. There's a very long list of things that people are simply not allowed to do because it puts others at risk.

This thing primarily gets around by asymptomatic/presymptomatic spread. You can literally get it by someone just breathing around you. If you disagree with this, take a look around and count the people you see who appear "sick" -- actually coughing, sneezing, etc.

• Moderators
On 11/29/2021 at 6:56 AM, 314carpenter said:

Omicron is the fifth coronavirus variant of concern named by the WHO. The other four are: alpha, beta, gamma and delta.

26 November 2021

https://www.who.int/news/item/26-11-2021-classification-of-omicron-(b.1.1.529)-sars-cov-2-variant-of-concern

28 November 2021

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/enhancing-readiness-for-omicron-(b.1.1.529)-technical-brief-and-priority-actions-for-member-states

28 November 2021

https://www.who.int/news/item/28-11-2021-update-on-omicron

Now you can track this variant from the very start. Observe for yourself how a highly infectious disease spreads across the globe.

https://www.gisaid.org/hcov19-variants/

These variants do have a way of dying out though. Mu was the last Covid variant to reach "variant of interest" status. Lambda before that. Check out the www.gisaid.org link I provided to view the charts on those now relatively dead variants.

No more covid on this Forum, that's the way it's been for months.

Sorry for your situation, great thoughts on ideas on estate planning (family planning is a whole different can of worms), so leaving this up for awhile as a reminder.

NO COVID and GET AN ESTATE PLAN TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!