Perspectives wanted re McIntosh MA352 teamed with LaScala's

res_communes

Purchased a pair of 80's LaScala's several months back...and am looking to team them with a good/matching amp.  Came across a McIntosh MA352 that I'm considering but don't have enough knowledge as most folks on the forum, nor do I have the experience with higher-end audio.  At the present, I feel sort of like the newb who walks into the whorehouse with a fist of cash, admiring the drapes as he's picked dry...I'd rather not be that guy.  Any perspectives regarding teaming of that amp with the LaScalas?  Also, the equipment will be placed in a fairly large room 22'Wx35'Lx12'H if that's any help.

Greatly appreciate any thoughts. 

Edited by res_communes
cited the wrong yrs for the lascalas

I used to have the MA352s baby brother the MA252 and it sounded very good with my Forte 1s. I read that the extra headroom of the MA352 even sounds better than the MA252. I bet the pairing of the LaScalas would sound great.with a MA352.

I traded my MA252 in for a Primaluna EVO400 after hearing one at Upscale Audio. I jprefer the 100% tube Integrated PL to the McIntosh hybrid but the McIntosh sounded very nice and was beautiful.

I run a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP, which is one generation older than the EVO400, and it sounds wonderful with my ‘86 LaScalas.

Where are you located? There is a used one near Chicago that is for sale that I just noticed today on Craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, res_communes said:

Thanks to both Fido and rjw1678.  Since you mentioned the Primaluna EVO400, I'm going to look into it as an option.  Thanks again

As good as the Ma252 sounded the Evo 400 sounded much better to my ears. The soundstage is deeper and wider and my Forte IVs combined with the PL just remind me more of live performances in my living room. There are a number of people on this Forum that have the Pl paired with Klipsch speakers.and they all consistently seem to love their amps. 

Hope you find the amp that brings you the joy I have enjoyed with my PL and Fortes.

I recently unboxed, and hooked my brand new La Scala's II, 70th Anniversary to a Cary Audio SLI-80 HS, and the sound was just beautiful. I am still experimenting, so I hooked the pair to my new MAC7200, and although I have no room treatment yet, they sounded even better. See the short video I posted on YouTube, it shows despite the poor recording via my iPhone12, the synergy these 2 have whith is other.

Next, I will hook'em up to my PL Dialogue HP, and will see. 

PS: this was initial quick and primary setup, neither the speakers nor the Mac7200 have bene broken in, just out of the box.  Source Amazon HD via Node 2i.

• Like 4