La Scala AL crossover

Masca72

1 hour ago, Masca72 said:

Henry from what I've read you have only made some interesting considerations, but maybe I don't know enough about the background.

The AL crossover has been trashed on this forum for a long time. That is the sum of it. The back and forth started when I said sellers of crossovers are the ones that benefit from this kind of talk without reference to anyone. Then some members got on the defense of the sellers because they are long time members with a devoted following. 

I really have better things to do then continue on this thread.

3 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

I really have better things to do then continue on this thread. If members want to challenge the engineers at Klipsch further they are welcome. They are not challenging me but claiming they know better. 

I think you're taking this way too personal-- an attack on the AL is not an attack on you. People have their opinions on certain things that's just the way it goes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Do not know exactly what you are talking about???  Seems to be the other way around and I made others unhappy about what I said. Truth hurts I guess. Not to be said on this forum is that what you mean?

I didn't mean anything other than what I said.  You can translate it any way you want.

Just a snarky remark from an old member is all. Perfect example on what I have already said. 

I just do not see what I did or said that was so offensive. Is taking up for Klipsch engineers a bad thing here? The honest truth is that the engineers did a good job with the crossovers they have designed. The proof is all the sales they had with the speakers with AL crossovers. A lot like what they heard on showrooms that was prevalent back then. 

I don't really think anyone is bashing the Klipsch engineers. They have made many x overs and changes to improve them as well. Some have to be better than others. Not all can be homeruns. Some changes are made due to availability of materials or a change in another component or weakness discovered in a current component. They are also restricted to cost/ROI of materials and need to take production capabilities etc into account. The engineer has to decide when the law a diminishing returns comes into play. If you are building or tweaking one or three sets, costs are one thing. If you plan to make hundreds and hundreds, small costs add up. Tweaking or tinkering is part of this hobby. Good, bad or indifferent, it is what it is. Love my Klipsch, the ones I've tweaked and ones I haven't. 

• Like 2

Henry, my apologies to you. For a long time, there was really not a good place to go when a Klipsch owner wanted something looked at or fixed. Let's face it, a lot of speakers end up in the dump only because folks who inherited these didn't know where to look for help, they are not wife friendly, thought they were home built, etc.

Often, Klipsch didn't have replacements, so Bob filled a niche, providing ones built with the values Klipsch showed on their schematics. There's nothing wrong with that.

Al K. felt like the designs were wrong and went a different route.

Dean tweaked the parts of a couple of the originals, trying and settling on different parts.

I know Bob and Dean spent time on the phone together.

I would suggest getting to know some of these guys in person. Go to one of the pilgrimages in Hope. You can meet a lot of really nice folks, see what Klipsch is working on, meet Roy.

You may find, in person, some pretty neat folks, with a passion for Klipsch.

• Like 2

Apologies if someone took what I post as being offensive. I do not believe there are any bad guys on this forum. Getting along and being civil is far more important then being right or believing you are right. Unfortunately not always the case on social media forums. I only participate to help and try to learn. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2021 at 7:56 PM, Crankysoldermeister said:

The AL-3 filter is definitely brighter than the AL, especially with the Sonicaps. Both of those networks were designed to be used with the K-55-M. Over the years, Klipsch voicing on these loudspeakers has been all over the map, so I would suggest just listening to whatever you prefer.

It’s complicated.