RP-8000F vs Forté II

attanasio666

RP-8000F vs Forté II

Hello,

I have both models and I'm wondering, for people who actually heard both, which of these two do you prefer?

While both are very good, I think I like the Forté II a bit better. I have not heard a lot of speakers so it's hard to say why I like them better. They are completely different beasts. I'm just curious of your opinions.

While I don't have experience with both speakers, I have been pondering a question regarding both.

What's the difference between in performance between the dual, smaller woofer RP-8000F and the single woofer Forte? If you calculate the square area of each model's woofers, the Forte has 13 square inches more surface area. That should count for something, no?

50 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

While I don't have experience with both speakers, I have been pondering a question regarding both.

What's the difference between in performance between the dual, smaller woofer RP-8000F and the single woofer Forte? If you calculate the square area of each model's woofers, the Forte has 13 square inches more surface area. That should count for something, no?

The bass is really different between the two. The RP-8000F feels like it digs deeper though. It's hard to describe but the bass feels really different between the two.

10 hours ago, attanasio666 said:

The bass is really different between the two. The RP-8000F feels like it digs deeper though. It's hard to describe but the bass feels really different between the two.

Well, according to the specs, the RP-8000F DOES play 3Hz lower than a Forte. I find that kind of surprising considering the price difference between the two speakers. Yeah; the Forte has such a vaunted history and reputation, yet a much less expensive Klipsch speaker either equals or out-performs it. Go figure.

Honestly, I'm beginning to think the marketers have the two speakers for the following reason: The Forte presents the image of a "traditional" speaker with a larger cabinet and typical, larger drivers. The RP-series and similar floorstanders present a smaller visual footprint and get more WAF in our homes of today.

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

Well, according to the specs, the RP-8000F DOES play 3Hz lower than a Forte. I find that kind of surprising considering the price difference between the two speakers. Yeah; the Forte has such a vaunted history and reputation, yet a much less expensive Klipsch speaker either equals or out-performs it. Go figure.

Honestly, I'm beginning to think the marketers have the two speakers for the following reason: The Forte presents the image of a "traditional" speaker with a larger cabinet and typical, larger drivers. The RP-series and similar floorstanders present a smaller visual footprint and get more WAF in our homes of today.

Actually, the Forté II and the RP-8000F are both rated at 32hz to 20khz +/-3db. The forté loses  some db under about 80hz though so maybe that's why it seems to have less bass. It is also more calibrated for extra SPL and less distortion vs the RP-8000F. The whole midrange is clearly better in the Forté though and like Paul Klipsch once said, "We live in the midrange".

2 hours ago, attanasio666 said:

Actually, the Forté II and the RP-8000F are both rated at 32hz to 20khz +/-3db. The forté loses  some db under about 80hz though so maybe that's why it seems to have less bass. It is also more calibrated for extra SPL and less distortion vs the RP-8000F. The whole midrange is clearly better in the Forté though and like Paul Klipsch once said, "We live in the midrange".

the fortes are much more placement sensitive due to the rear passive compared to the non passive rp. try playing with placement of the fortes to see how the bass changes, its usually best to locate them in or near a corner with at least 12" from the back wall. ive never heard that specific rp models but have heard quite a few of the smaller gold woofer towers & IMO they dont compare to the 3 way heritage era speakers like forte or chorus.  

11 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I would not consider digging 3dB lower "out-performing", just digging deeper.  There is more to it than just a larger frequency response.  The Forte has a long lineage and each version gets a bit better.  

Here is an analogy.  A 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS had a published spec of 0 to 60 time of 6.0 seconds while a 2020 VW GTI is has a published spec 0 to 60 time of 5.9 seconds.

Bill

I own Heresy Is and RF3s ( which the RP8000 descents from, sort of...). Used to have them in different rooms but have them together in the living room now for some time. I find myself listening to most of my music with the Heresy now, somehow the sound is more "rounded", i can't really put my finger on it. But having  a three-way for classic and 70's and 80's music is somehow more fun. Only my Heavy Metal and electronic music seem to belong on the RF3s, and HT of course. i also find it interesting to compare the same recording on both speakers, There's no "better" or "worse", it's just different for me.

My two cents.

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

There's no "better" or "worse", it's just different for me.

My two cents.

I agree 100%.  I once had my current RF-63s, Fortes, and Quartets all together in my family room and used a speaker switcher to alternate between the three pairs.  All sounded great just a bit different with many different recordings.  As you can see from my profile, I kept the cherry RF-63s because with all things being "equal", they matched the rest of my cherry Reference rig.  No shade on the Fortes or Quartets, needed the $$$ at the time and wish I had never sold them.

show us your FORTES / CHORUS speakers - Page 5 - 2-Channel Home Audio - The  Klipsch Audio Community

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, willland said:

I agree 100%.  I once had my current RF-63s, Fortes, and Quartets all together in my family room and used a speaker switcher to alternate between the three pairs.  All sounded great just a bit different with many different recordings.  As you can see from my profile, I kept the cherry RF-63s because with all things being "equal", they matched the rest of my cherry Reference rig.  No shade on the Fortes or Quartets, needed the $$$ at the time and wish I had never sold them.

show us your FORTES / CHORUS speakers - Page 5 - 2-Channel Home Audio - The  Klipsch Audio Community

Bill

Must have been awesome, thanks for sharing! Maybe i'll be able to get my hands on a pair of Forte Is one day. Vintage Klipsch gear is expensive here...  

• Like 1