Close threads if need be, but why delete them?

JL Sargent

Lots of good info, references, expert opinions, deleted lately. Why is that necessary? If a thread has good info and is not blasting anybody, why delete it? Isn't locking the thread "good enough"? As for "how it's been" on Covid in general, we know that doesn't necessarily mean a small change isn't appropriate. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, avguytx said:

I guess I missed something again...

I guess I did also ?

1 hour ago, Rudy81 said:

All part of the New World Order :D

True it's all in the big plan.

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Because they can.

But I really don't want to..............do much of anything really.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

This is one of the more, if not most, restrictive forum I've been a part of in 20+ years.  I was looking forward to seeing where the thread went with the lazy La Scala owner.

If I were all of you I would protest and get a petition going to have me canceled, even if I never had anything to do with whatever happened. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

This is one of the more, if not most, restrictive forum I've been a part of in 20+ years. 

You've obviously not been to the AVS forums.  😄

(yes I know you were kidding)  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

This is one of the more, if not most, restrictive forum I've been a part of in 20+ years.  I was looking forward to seeing where the thread went with the lazy La Scala owner.

Please share the audio/speaker forums you have been a part of for 20+ years so the moderators can take a look and pass that along to the right people. 

EDIT: We can even compile a list and post them for everyone who may be in search of less restrictive audio/speaker forums. 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Lots of good info, references, expert opinions, deleted lately. Why is that necessary? If a thread has good info and is not blasting anybody, why delete it? Isn't locking the thread "good enough"? As for "how it's been" on Covid in general, we know that doesn't necessarily mean a small change isn't appropriate. 

What audio/speaker/music/etc. related thread(s) with good information, expert opinions has been deleted?

Oh, you meant good information, references, expert opinions on topics which should have never been posted in the first place?

Two reasons.

First, this is a Klipsch Forum, which contains, on average, people who are significantly smarter than the average audio enthusiast (90th percentile maybe?). They don't need people to look up things for them on topics like politics, covid, guns, etc., etc., they can do it for themselves. The vast majority of Forum members (9 to 1 at last count), who have chosen to provide input privately, say they come here to avoid all of the back and forth on social, political, and similar topics. They say there are plenty of outlets where they can go if they are interested in that, and they specifically come here to avoid it.

Secondly, if the good information, references, expert opinions were left up in a locked thread it has proven to be an incentive to post whatever you please, get in the back and forth, the "in before the lock" comments begin to appear, and it simply becomes a game.  So the moderators went to a "in before the delete" approach (when the thread from the get go was off limits). On threads that start off legitimate, but one or two individuals turn it political, we delete those posts and those people. Members have overwhelmingly responded that the offending conduct should be addressed, not the whole thread. That takes significantly more time, but we try to do that to preserve what is preservable. 

There is a post pinned at the top of the lounge section, posted by @dtel which pretty much lays it all out

• Moderators
5 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

I was looking forward to seeing where the thread went with the lazy La Scala owner.

Yes, that thread had lots of expert opinions and good information in it. The problem with that thread is it apparently was a fake ad in Garage Sale, and you just can't have fake ads in there, because the responses, while hilarious, are the type that the Garage Sale regulars recently said they didn't want to see in replies to Garage Sale ads. So it's sending mixed messages to people who are responding to real ads. 

If @dirtmudd wants it moved to the lounge section I will move it there, fully intact, and you all can see where it goes.

1 hour ago, Travis In Austin said:

Oh, you meant good information, references, expert opinions on topics which should have never been posted in the first place?

This is the Lounge section, right? Just so happens to be the most popular place on the Klipsch forum if I'm not mistaken? It's also where you have participated in on all kinds of topics NOT speaker related! I guess there might be more to talk about than just those then? I do remember you locking my thread about video editing software. You did change your mind about that one.

Only so many ways to say how good Klipsch used to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Please share the audio/speaker forums you have been a part of for 20+ years so the moderators can take a look and pass that along to the right people. 

EDIT: We can even compile a list and post them for everyone who may be in search of less restrictive audio/speaker forums. 

I did not say it was only audio/video forums.  I'm apart of a lot of forums, a moderator a well.  Audio isn't my only interest, but I specifically said "forum" and left out any specific designator.

You seem pretty excited in this whole thread based on the responses, which are entertaining as well... So thank you for that.  And it appears that it WAS an actual sale post.  😛

2 hours ago, USNRET said:

I am sure that anyone here for any length of time recognizes that there is a direct relationship of posts allowed vs museum donation.

@USNRET  As a founding member and volunteer of KHMA and knowing many of the volunteers of the organization I find this post about as sad as anything I’ve seen on this forum. 

Some of you guys complaining about this forum should take an honest look in the mirror at yourselves and your actions on this forum before throwing stones at others..!!!  

miketn

• Like 1

Does anyone recognize a pattern?  I think we should just categorize this thread as, "Discussion #2," and rather than hash it out in long form every 2-4 weeks, somebody could just post a thread titled, "Discussion #2."  We'd all know in advance where it was headed, so it could be closed before the first reply, and nobody would miss anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Does anyone recognize a pattern?  I think we should just categorize this thread as, "Discussion #2," and rather than hash it out in long form every 2-4 weeks, somebody could just post a thread titled, "Discussion #2."  We'd all know in advance where it was headed, so it could be closed before the first reply, and nobody would miss anything.

Now that's funny.

4 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Why didn't I ask you? Well I was going to when I had some time, it popped up here so I tagged you to do the same thing. So what do you want to do with all the thread crapping responses that violate the rules in Garage Sale, leave them in? 

Nobody asked for photos?

I'm not following how we lost out. You listed them somewhere else? Or you actually burned them? 

they did ask for photo.. a forum member posted some of them..

And why would I donate my speakers to the high school..

Where they have the pipe organ from the Stanley Theater..

for over 40 + years.. that no one gets to see if hear...

I donate taxes not willingly...

And it's not used wisely..

I can sell my belongings to whom I wish... And what ever price I decide... all I wanted was a fair and reasonable offer... someone 

could of offered me more.. didn't mean I was going to sell to them..

or someone could of offered me less.. And I might of said yes...

or because it's Christmas time..

I would of bartered  , Just to get my daughter something from someone else just to maker her happy...IMG_20171223_172258_hdr.thumb.jpg.23a80a0b018ae84cacbf47bb76485b1f.jpgIMG_20181223_133838.thumb.jpg.b05d814b6bb7d60b6b2ed0d308468b68.jpg

here an example.. the members know who they are...

compared to the low hanging fruit.. that some of you are..

was just looking for the nexted Charlie Bucket...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

violate the rules in Garage Sale,

What "rules"?  There are no "rules".  That's exactly the problem.  Many people in the last few months have asked for a change in the Garage Sale to bar commentary on a Garage Sale post as is the practice on AudioKarma.  This request has apparently been ignored.  Implementing this change would eliminate most of the BS that has been seen in the last few days in the Garage Sale section and elsewhere.

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

I think you're confused. Bearing false witness is knowingly telling lies or mistruths it does not mean sharing an experience that differs from yours but is also true. Things are not always black and white and without the freedom to discuss or even consider others experiences or view points because it doesn't "fit the narrative" well then we all lose. 

Others are confused about what free speech is, and what it isn't.  If one owns the platform, the speech belongs to the owner.  If one wishes to promote their own narrative, then they are free to do so on their own platform, regardless of the choice of delivery method.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I appreciate that's where he and you wanted the Forum to go but it's NOT why alot of us are here or continue to visit. That said, Thanks for volunteering to moderate because dtel admittedly doesn't do much. :)

My post pinned to the top of that page is ONLY because I got tired of the silly bullshit by some that I had to deal with. I get tired of all of this, it has taken all of the fun out of being here so I wonder why do I spend time here. 

The not doing much part was a joke.

Ever notice at times I post very little, I sign in to approve new post if they are not spam or offensive but rarely read or perticipate. I sign in 5 to 10 times a day to approve new members so they don't sit where no one can see them waiting, it's not fair to them.

• Like 3

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

The speech belongs to the owner of the platform?

I don't believe so,  nor is the platform owner liable for what's said.

I think what he meant was if you choose to post in a public forum you have no claim of copyright, you don't own your content, the Forum does. So if someone says I'm mad, delete all my content, the forum owner can say, nope sorry. It's in the terms of service of every forum I have seen,  including this one. 

Generally speaking, and certainly not on behalf of KGI, a forum owner is not liable for posts, however, copyright and trademark issues make a forum owner responsible under federal law, and there are other considerations if the Forum owner is a publically traded entity.

"Free speech"/1st amendment considerations don't apply to forums. A forum owner can set any rules it wants. 

• Thanks 1