(Solved) Fail to update the Fives firmware to 5.8.0

coldfreeze

Hi guys, not sure what happened to the previous thread about the problems with the Fives' firmware update to 5.8.0. This 5.8.0 firmware will bestow me with the much needed third bass cut mode, so that I can listen to my music without the heavy bass. But like many others have described, despite using multiple USB thumb drives, the firmware update does not work for us. 

Please let us know if there is a solution to this frustrating issue. 

Edited by coldfreeze

No offense intended, but have you submitted your issue to the mothership?  Cleanly-formatted FAT32 usb, power cord Removed, insert stick, reconnect cord, wait for firmware stuff, solid LED light?  Other firmware versions you tried?  If I remember right, one guy did the exact same thing four times with the same usb stick and the fourth was the charm...  I've had sticks/sockets like that on computers, too--where things have to be just right.  Yes, I know that's crazy, just "been there" and trying to assist.   And what sizes of usb drives have you tried?  I know people succeeded with 8 GB or smaller, but not with the bigger ones...filesystem thing, maybe, at that level--but FAT32 clean-format smaller sticks. 

I would like to add that I seem to have issues with this as well - to be honest I'm not even sure if there is a way to tell what firmware version I'm running?!

There is an app. but not sure what purpose it serves, I cannot seem to get any meaningful information out of it - not even the firmware version or the ability to run any form of updates.

Coming back to the topic on hand, pressing the SUB option on the remote gives me 2 blinks versus the 3 blinks that the Bass Cut option is supposed to have.

I have a 2 GB freshly formatted USB stick that houses the 3 .bin files - and I have tried this 3 times already.

On 12/3/2021 at 6:44 PM, RNair said:

I would like to add that I seem to have issues with this as well - to be honest I'm not even sure if there is a way to tell what firmware version I'm running?!

There is an app. but not sure what purpose it serves, I cannot seem to get any meaningful information out of it - not even the firmware version or the ability to run any form of updates.

Coming back to the topic on hand, pressing the SUB option on the remote gives me 2 blinks versus the 3 blinks that the Bass Cut option is supposed to have.

I have a 2 GB freshly formatted USB stick that houses the 3 .bin files - and I have tried this 3 times already.

I struggled too, you should have more than 3 files only. Please check https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046482812-The-Fives-Firmware-Update unzip the files section, there's an archive with the files.

Once you got them, it should be ok

18 hours ago, juksizi said:

I struggled too, you should have more than 3 files only. Please check https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046482812-The-Fives-Firmware-Update unzip the files section, there's an archive with the files.

Once you got them, it should be ok

Thank you.

That was what I did when I first got the Fives, but again I cannot tell if the update went through fine - I wish the app could at the very least display software versions.

The 3 .bin files I was referring to were for the "Bass Cut" update - 5.8.0.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:44 PM, grindstone said:

No offense intended, but have you submitted your issue to the mothership?  Cleanly-formatted FAT32 usb, power cord Removed, insert stick, reconnect cord, wait for firmware stuff, solid LED light?  Other firmware versions you tried?  If I remember right, one guy did the exact same thing four times with the same usb stick and the fourth was the charm...  I've had sticks/sockets like that on computers, too--where things have to be just right.  Yes, I know that's crazy, just "been there" and trying to assist.   And what sizes of usb drives have you tried?  I know people succeeded with 8 GB or smaller, but not with the bigger ones...filesystem thing, maybe, at that level--but FAT32 clean-format smaller sticks. 

Hi, I've tried a 1 GB stick, a 4 GB stick and a 32 GB stick. I've also tried to partition those same usb drives to smaller drives, also to no avail. I've also tried ntfs, fat and fat32 file systems, no dice. I've also tried to reduce the Allocation Unit Size to various sizes, no luck. I've also tried to format the drives on different PCs, even including one running Windows 7, also no success.

While I'm grateful that others succeeded at their fourth or fifth attempt, I've tried close to a hundred times. I've unplugged and plugged in my power cables multiple times to hope this time would be the time it would work, but it is always failure.

I've tried the 5.7.5 firmware and the 5.8.0 firmware too. 

I've also changed my Fives twice for replacements, over the past 2 months, due to other issues, and all three sets of Fives won't accept the firmware update. 

I've contacted klipsch usa support, which referred me to my local klipsch dealer. I then contacted my local klipsch dealer, and they themselves are waiting for klipsch usa to mail a usb drive over. So this has been a frustrating experience to say the least.

It shouldn't be so hard to get a firmware update done correctly.

21 hours ago, coldfreeze said:

Hi, I've tried a 1 GB stick, a 4 GB stick and a 32 GB stick. I've also tried to partition those same usb drives to smaller drives, also to no avail. I've also tried ntfs, fat and fat32 file systems, no dice. I've also tried to reduce the Allocation Unit Size to various sizes, no luck. I've also tried to format the drives on different PCs, even including one running Windows 7, also no success.

While I'm grateful that others succeeded at their fourth or fifth attempt, I've tried close to a hundred times. I've unplugged and plugged in my power cables multiple times to hope this time would be the time it would work, but it is always failure.

I've tried the 5.7.5 firmware and the 5.8.0 firmware too. 

I've also changed my Fives twice for replacements, over the past 2 months, due to other issues, and all three sets of Fives won't accept the firmware update. 

I've contacted klipsch usa support, which referred me to my local klipsch dealer. I then contacted my local klipsch dealer, and they themselves are waiting for klipsch usa to mail a usb drive over. So this has been a frustrating experience to say the least.

It shouldn't be so hard to get a firmware update done correctly.

I agree, it shouldn't be so hard and I understand your frustration. In 2021 tech should be much easier.

For me it never worked unless I tried an old 4GB USB 2.0 drive formatted in FAT32. It failed every single time with USB 3.0-3.1 devices, no matter the partition configuration.
I put the extracted files in its main directory without folders or other files, then I unplugged the power cord, plugged in the pendrive and lastly the power cord: with there exact steps it managed to work all the recent times and with the newest update (which has more than 3 files).

I hope you'll end up solving your problems with the Klipsch's USB Drive they are providing!

• Like 2

Same issues here. I've tried with 4GB, 8GB and 16GB USB pendrives. It takes only 1 minute the speaker to stop blinking after I've put the power cord on and it "starts" the update. Blinking stops and the previous source led is lit. I believe it's best way to check if the update is successful by pressing SUB-RESET button* for 3 secs and wait if you can get LED flashed 3 times.

I really don't have any other way to verify if the update is ok or not. It's a shame the Connect App doesn't have almost any functions (tried iOS).

Maybe it should be possible to update the firmware with USB-cable.

Hi guys, thank you for hanging there with me. I just tried to do an additional step, which was that after I unplug the power cable from the rear of the Fives, I wait like ten seconds and then I roll the buttons on the top of the Fives to check for any residue current. Only after there are no lights when I roll the buttons, then I plug in the thumb drive and then reconnect the AC cable, does the firmware upgrade supposedly proceed. 

I do see the various input LEDs light up, but unfortunately, after trying both the 3 file and the newest 9 file version of the firmware (see below), I do not have a third bass cut mode. In fact, the 2 remaining bass modes and actually more bassy than before. 

Fives_update_-_PC.png

So unfortunately, despite the supposed success, I still don't have a third bass cut option on my the Fives. But I did notice something different on the help page for the firmware upgrade: https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046482812-The-Fives-Firmware-Update

Which is that there is a "part 2". So hoping there is some light to the end of this dark firmware upgrade tunnel.

The USB portion of this update is complete! Continue to “Part 2” to fully update your speakers using the Klipsch Fives Updater App.

But this app is not available in my Android App store, so I'm still stuck.

Edited by coldfreeze
  • Like 1

https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046482812-The-Fives-Firmware-Update

In another cruel twist, this support page where I saw the upgrade, is now a broken link. This firmware upgrade really has been a true mess from Klipsch. 

I went to both app stores to find the mythical "Fives Updater" app but it wasn't available. So I'm heartbroken.

Edited by coldfreeze

Ok I have good news! The Fives Updater app is available in my Play Store and I got it to work. This means that I have managed to update my Fives to have the virtual remote and also finally the option to set custom EQ. I also gained a Night Mode too. 

It finally feels that I have a speaker that is worthy of its price tag.

Screenshot_20211217-154135_Klipsch Connect.jpg

• Like 1

• coldfreeze changed the title to (Solved) Fail to update the Fives firmware to 5.8.0
  • 2 weeks later...

I did the Step 1 (definitely did it perfectly right multiple times) and saw all the lights flashing and stuff. Eventually it switched back to Bluetooth and I was able to change volume, which tells me whatever it was doing, is now complete. But the app still says I need to complete Step 1. Any idea what I am missing?

Does anyone know how to precisely replicate the old "Bass Cut" mode with the new controls? (That mode is no longer selectable via remote.) In the new app, selecting Flat with Dynamic Bass EQ off doesn't seem to do it (still boomy). So maybe it's something like Flat / Dynamic Bass Off / Speaker Placement Corner [or Wall]? Or a custom EQ setting?

On 12/30/2021 at 3:37 AM, Newhere said:

I did the Step 1 (definitely did it perfectly right multiple times) and saw all the lights flashing and stuff. Eventually it switched back to Bluetooth and I was able to change volume, which tells me whatever it was doing, is now complete. But the app still says I need to complete Step 1. Any idea what I am missing?

I had big troubles updating with the latest firmware. It is difficult to see if it is updating or not if you are not aware of what you should look for. Every light will be blinking rapidly in turn when it is actually updating. Up and down. A failed update will also trigger rapid blinking, but just from usb and then maybe the bluetooth light(similar to pairing mode)

For the 5.80 firmware i tried several different usb sticks. I got recommended from support to try an old memory stick with usb 2.0 of maximum 8GB. Which is quit hard to get hold of in the shops, but found one in the end hidden deep in a drawer, but still with no success. I tried with factory reset, but it still failed. In the end support just replied: Really sorry for this. With no further instructions to what I should do.

I was planning to return the speakers to the shop after x-mas, but gave it another go yesterday. I found the updated instructions and the Fives updater app. I was successfully able to do part 2, but not part one. I did a factory reset and tried again, but similar result. I decided to try with one of the other usb drives, which didn't work with the 5.80 firmware and by a miracle it finally worked despite being an usb stick with 32 GB.

I must have wasted 6-7 hours on trying to upgrade this speaker to be able to get the base cut, and built up a hate for the speaker, but the test run this morning was much better, so maybe me and my speakers soon can start loving each other.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure would be nice if Klipsch would post an FAQ or something to help those of us wallowing in their firmware update process. Its probably obvious, but I am having similar issues as described in the post(s) above. Simply cannot get this update to happen. Its frustrating as all hell. At this point, the Connect app says to repeat step 1 (firmware update) OR kill the Bluetooth connection (which I have done numerous times). I also cant get the updater app to stop telling me "upgrade already done". After reading above, I am 99% certain the firmware is not updated. I know the Bluetooth connection update (step 2) went off without a hitch. 

I am sure all of you that have gone through this and finally got somewhere have now moved on - I would too. But, if there is any additional guidance, any recent revelations or learnings, I sure would appreciate it. Thx in advance.