(Solved) Fail to update the Fives firmware to 5.8.0

coldfreeze

I too have wasted many hours trying to update the firmware on my speakers! I got a klipsch subwoofer to go with them, and the terrible integration with that and also my TV arc HDMI is really frustrating. The app is showing im on version 1.6.9 and I seem to be stuck there. Is 1.6.9 the latest version? I just keep waiting for Klipsch to fix this, but it doesnt seem to be happening.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so I just want to share my experience because I got it to work after nearly returning the damn things and I thought it might help someone to know how. I tried about 30x to USB-flash the firmware with the USB sticks I had lying around and it never worked. I tried reformatting the flash drives. I tried repartitioning them to smaller sizes (down to 8GB). I tried all the different bit sizes when formatting. Nothing. It just blinked a few times on USB, then went to blinking on bluetooth as if it was waiting to pair. Over and over again I tried. Finally I bought this $5 USB 2.0 8GB stick from Amazon, and boom, worked the first time out when it arrived. Here's a video of how it's supposed to look when the firmware update is actually working. Kinda lame that that's what it took, but I'm just glad they work now. And the app is pretty cool, and the different settings in it really work well. Good luck!!

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 4:53 PM, Red-A said:

OK, so I just want to share my experience because I got it to work after nearly returning the damn things and I thought it might help someone to know how. I tried about 30x to USB-flash the firmware with the USB sticks I had lying around and it never worked. I tried reformatting the flash drives. I tried repartitioning them to smaller sizes (down to 8GB). I tried all the different bit sizes when formatting. Nothing. It just blinked a few times on USB, then went to blinking on bluetooth as if it was waiting to pair. Over and over again I tried. Finally I bought this $5 USB 2.0 8GB stick from Amazon, and boom, worked the first time out when it arrived. Here's a video of how it's supposed to look when the firmware update is actually working. Kinda lame that that's what it took, but I'm just glad they work now. And the app is pretty cool, and the different settings in it really work well. Good luck!!

Just ordered the USB 2.0.  I've been trying everything for 4 weeks on 2 pairs of FIVES I purchased.  I will get this item tomorrow.  If this does not work, they are going back and I will be back on the forums looking for advice on what to replace them with.  Thanks Red.

Edited by jctdigital

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i have very annoying problem with this update

Updated it with step 1 and 2, everything went ok, fiver update app said completed

Then when i now open Klipsch Connect app it wont connect to them (but bluetooth connection normally works just not this app)

It says:

" It looks like we cannot communicate with your Fives. There are two common reasons for this:

1. You didn't finish the firmware update process on the Fives. Please re-run Step 1.

2. You need to forget and re-pair your Fives, which is sometimes necessary after the update.

If you have questions, please contact support and we will assist you. "

So number one i cant do anymore because fiver update app says you have already updated speakers :D (also did reset speakers didnt help)

Number 2 i have done multiple times and dont seem to help.

Have deleted apps and so on. What can i do to this problem it is so frustrating?!

On 3/14/2022 at 6:42 PM, Tire said:

Hi, i have very annoying problem with this update

Updated it with step 1 and 2, everything went ok, fiver update app said completed

Then when i now open Klipsch Connect app it wont connect to them (but bluetooth connection normally works just not this app)

It says:

" It looks like we cannot communicate with your Fives. There are two common reasons for this:

1. You didn't finish the firmware update process on the Fives. Please re-run Step 1.

2. You need to forget and re-pair your Fives, which is sometimes necessary after the update.

If you have questions, please contact support and we will assist you. "

So number one i cant do anymore because fiver update app says you have already updated speakers :D (also did reset speakers didnt help)

Number 2 i have done multiple times and dont seem to help.

Have deleted apps and so on. What can i do to this problem it is so frustrating?!

I was having the exact same problem and I finally managed to get it right.!!!

I was using a micro sd to usb adaptor and apparently it did update the firmware in step 1 or at least it said so on the app, and step 2 also went well. What you need to do is use an old 2.0 USB flash drive (mine was 4GB), and when the update was finished I did a factory reset just in case and went straight to Klipsch Conect app and it worked!

Another thing to take into account is that the first time I updated them and it did not work but it said yes on the app is the fact that the lights at the top did not blink one after another. You can make sure the step 1 of the update is properly done (and so the usb is the right one) if all the lights blink one after another for a couple of minutes and then goes to a fix light or blinking bluetooth in case there's no bluetooth device connected. If you don't see lights blinking you must use another USB. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, this thread is in reference to the 5.8.0 firmware update. I followed the advice here to update my Fives. They seem to have updated correctly and I can now connect them to the Klipsch Connect app. I’m confused though because when I go into the speaker settings, under Product Information, it shows that the Firmware Version is 1.6.9. Is this what everyone else is seeing in their app?

• 5 months later...
Hi, I have similar problems.
I am sure that I have a good memory, 8GB and all the LEDs are lit in turn.
However, after the update is finished, there is no sound anywhere, neither on TV, nor in BT, anywhere.
Once for a while the sound from the TV sounded, and then again it did not.
Anyone had similar problems ??

• 9 months later...

I had these issues too.  I have a tiny little 8GB USB drive (2.0 I think).

My solution was to plug in the power and immediately after the power was plugged in, plug in the usb drive.  That seemed to do the trick.  The connect app is now updating things 

A lot of programs don't run properly if the usb you use is a usb3 and/or are formatted for uefi. You need to use a usb2 drive.

In MS Windows, you can easily set your parameters with the free formatter called Rufus. It doesn't even install, it just runs and works. Format the usb, copy your file and you should be good to go.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/21/2023 at 6:33 PM, insid4r said:

I had the same problem. My USB was 2.0 and 32GB. Use Rufus. Select Free Dos and MBR. It worked like a magic.

This comment right here. After trying between three 2.0 USB sticks (1x 8G Cruzer, 1x 8G SanDisk, and 1x 128MB microsd in a USB adaptor for kicks and giggles) and between the windows formatting utility and the mac disk utility, nothing worked. Long search on the youtubes and reddit left empty handed but this comment. After formatting one last time with Rufus using Free Dos and MBR, not worrying with the default freeDOS files in the root and moving over the new firmware files. Safely removed, popped usb in the speakers and then applied power, and the lights finally did the dance.

Thank you @insid4r

• Like 1

My 1st attempt was w/ 32GB USB and did not work. I failed to realize FAT32 format was required.

My 2nd attempt was w/ a 2GB USB extracting the zip download from Klipsch directly to the USB. I tried multiple times w/ the same USB but failed every time. I proceeded w/ the 2nd step of the update app anyway and no longer able to use it. The app tells me update already completed but Klipsch Connect tells me the update is incomplete.

My last attempt was using a 1GB USB. This time I extracted the zip file to my pc and then the bin files were COPIED to the USB. I removed the two Klipsch apps, removed bluetooth connection, turned off bluetooth, and shut my phone off. This time the update worked, all the lights blinked but no lights were on after 2 minutes (was worried). I then reinstaled the Klipsch Connect app and it was able to find the speakers. The Connect app performed the step 2 of update app (which I could no longer use) and SUCCESS.

• Like 1