Need Klipschorn Advice

superfinemind

Hello All 

I just bought a pair of 1974 vintage Klipschorns (KB-WO) essentially sight unseen (just a couple of basic photos on Facebook marketplace).  When I picked them up this week, I was astounded at the condition.  I still need to clean them up, condition the wood, get the light dust out of the backs, etc., but these are almost a time capsule.  There is hardly a mark on them, the original AA networks are untouched, the round-magnet k-77's are in place, as are the spring-connector k-55's, none of the screws anywhere have marks on them, the veneer is so perfect it looks like laminate, the screen on the backs is intact, the bronze cloth is just perfect, and there are no modifications anywhere.  They will clean up beautifully, and already look like fine furniture.  Truly a product of Klipsch at it's finest.  Here's my problem:  I was thinking before I bought them that I could do this, do that, etc.  New networks, Volti midrange horns with Beyma tweeters, etc. etc.   But now I don't think I could bring myself to do anything beyond bringing them back to up to original specs.  I'd almost feel as though I would be ruining them by making any changes.  In automotive parlance, "they are only original once".  All of a sudden, I feel like one of those Porsche guys who deduct 10 points at the concours because a cad-plated screw was replaced by stainless.  It's not so much a matter of value, since these will not be sold until I am in an urn somewhere, but I suddenly feel almost like a steward or caretaker.  I mean, how many more like this do you think are out there?  There can't be many.  They are a piece of history, and I think with some sensible and unseen upgrades (better connectors and wiring, diaphragms, etc.) they will still perform at a very high level.  Certainly not on par with a new AK6, but still not bad.  I'd put the upgrade money into tube gear to drive them (McIntosh or Primaluna), and I think the result would be outstanding; perhaps not the 99.999% sonic perfection that everyone tries vainly to achieve, but maybe 99%, which is plenty good enough for me.                

What say you? 

Thanks, 

Greg

• Like 4

My immediate reaction is....Did you buy them to have a museum piece, or did you buy them to actually listen to them?  Why not update them to take advantage of new/better technology that is easily obtainable and affordable?  Sure, having original pieces is "interesting".....but I believe you are missing out on the full potential of the Khorns that is possible with components that are sensibly matched and dialed in.  And you're still going to have plenty of money left over for your tube gear.  PM me if you have any questions.

• Like 1

I'd enjoy them as they are and decide on updates later after you get to know them.  I've got some 1975 Heresys with the same tweeter and mid-range - they sound wonderful (only the caps have been replaced). I love the idea of upgrading electronics first.

I was told that either diaphragms work or they don't - the Ti diaphragms will certainly change the sound.

Enjoy them as they are for long while. Upgrade-itis is a common disease (I have it too).

In the long term, IMO the greatest upgrade is to time allign the drivers and that can be acheived without any aleration to the speaker. After that if you want to go crazy get a set of K402 and place them on top and you will have 90% of a Julilee. Have fun!

Enjoy them as they are for at least now. Their capacitors may need to be replaced due to their old age at some time. Keep their original caps if you replace them, so you’ll still have all their original components. This site is a lot about upgrades, so you’ll be getting some advice toward upgrades. I’ve done some to my Klipschorns, but mine were in bad condition and needed work done to them. Yours are in good condition not needing much. I understand upgrading, but Mr. Paul W Klipsch got it right with the Klipschorns and they sound great just how they are! Enjoy.

5 hours ago, superfinemind said:

What say you?

the speakers are 47 years old , and 1st question is ?  do they sound  great , if they do ,   leave as is  - newer khorns have modern crossovers , or a  new tweeter , but the rest is unchanged - there is a reason why  Klipsch is 75 years old , it's the khorn -

-klipsch capacitors are available from @JEM Performance  , they are the USA  khorn crossover  klipsch center   , PM them via the Forum  , no one on this forum is more qualified to answer your crossover questions -412-401-6915.   theaudioroom@verizon.net 

• Like 1

You can buy capacitors from whomever you like.  Crites sells Sonicaps, Parts Express sells the excellent Jantzen Z Superior line, Sonicraft sells AudioCap Theta among others.

There are many, many people on this forum qualified to answer your questions.

• Like 1

If you're interested in upgrades, focus on those that are reversible, in case you want to return the speakers to original form. For instance, instead of replacing caps in your original AAs, swap in new networks, using the original mounting holes. Replace the k400 with a drop-in tractrix replacement, replacement tweeters, etc.

12 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

What's the tractrix horn that's drop in that fits the khorns?

IDK, I don't own K-horns, lol. 

Seriously, Al K Engineering has a solution using Dave Harris' Eliptrac 400 (contact Dave directly). You'd have to build the frame (plans on Al's website). Volti Audio has an expensive options. Maybe others will chime in with solutions.

The K402 may not be a drop-in but it's certainly a great fit for the Khorn , in a 2 way HIFI  speaker  , with enclosed backs and an Axi 2050  compression driver ,  you can  call it  a Poor Man's Jubilee -

• Moderators
On 12/3/2021 at 1:20 PM, jimjimbo said:

You can buy capacitors from whomever you like.  Crites sells Sonicaps, Parts Express sells the excellent Jantzen Z Superior line, Sonicraft sells AudioCap Theta among others.

There are many, many people on this forum qualified to answer your questions.

Why us this always a contest for you, why the first sentence.

Quit being an *******, it's not necessary, and you had better ignore people who irritate you with every response ir you are going to be long gone. I'm tired of baby sitting grow men.

If you think you will get a better shake on this PM Roy or Eldon.

What are you talking about? You are way off base.  I simply advised a person who asked a simple question as to their choices. No more no less.  Why didn’t you simply PM me rather than get trashy in public?

I suggested a few alternatives for vendors and this is what is the problem? Really?

• Like 1

Congrats on your Klipschorn  purchase , I bought a new set in 86 for stereo and they are now part  of a home theater system. I agree with Soundbound Paul Klipsch did a fine job with the Klipschorn. If you have some bad caps , then change them out , my personal opinion is to stick with factory crossovers and horns , some  want you  to believe  that they need to be modified ,  I don’t think so  ,  they sound fantastic as built . I listened to a pair of supposedly upgraded Klipschorns and wasn’t impressed ,  I think  they were downgraded, but everyone hears differently I suppose . Don’t listen to the naysayers, you’ve got some awesome speakers.

• Like 3