RF-7 III design and comparison to RP line

paulgyro

Good day, I'm curious to know if the RF-7 III was designed in Hope or Indianapolis? I know it's built in Hope.

Other then the nice compression driver and wood finish how is the quality of components different? Is it's crossover higher quality? 

Paul

5 hours ago, paulgyro said:

Do you know if they videos answer any of the questions I posed above? 

I don't think they do.  We spent the afternoon demoing many recordings and switching between speakers and amps, stereo receivers, integrated amps, and just listening at low, medium, and high volumes.  The RF-7s and RF-7 IIIs were bone stock while the RF-7 IIs had a little DeanG "magic" applied to the crossovers.  Just an afternoon of observing pros and cons of each pair with very little if any real cons.

@Youthman,

You add something to this if I missed something.

Bill

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:04 PM, paulgyro said:

I know totally cool timing eh? Sally only a few my questions answered in it.

I think it answers more than is immediately apparent.  This is the "flagship" of this line (as opposed to the Heritage models), and uses higher quality components.  I would hazard the guess that the crossover is correctly designed, and made of the same level of items as the rest of the speaker. 

With the advancement in electronic technology made in the last 60 years I would also say that the crossovers will most likely last just as long as the rest.

38 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

This is the "flagship"  I would hazard the guess that the crossover is correctly designed, and made of the same level of items as the rest of the speaker. With the advancement in electronic technology made in the last 60 years I would also say that the crossovers will most likely last just as long as the rest.

No Offense to anybody ....😉 The one and only Flagship   RF7 EvoTec

LRC28_01.20212.thumb.jpg.f4125f60f050009d2d523a3d1012bd36.jpg

Weiche1.jpg.486eab078521813cfbaf8ff2ab3160f2.jpg

grafik.png.df46349b5ee1f0a3d93a2a4d84789cfa.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

I think it answers more than is immediately apparent.  This is the "flagship" of this line (as opposed to the Heritage models), and uses higher quality components.  I would hazard the guess that the crossover is correctly designed, and made of the same level of items as the rest of the speaker. 

With the advancement in electronic technology made in the last 60 years I would also say that the crossovers will most likely last just as long as the rest.

Perhaps but lets look at Klipsch's own messaging.

You are certainly right, the RF-7 is the flagship speakers of the Reference line.  Should be end of story right?

Note here it's the flagship of the Reference line.

Reference Premiere is said to be their flagship line. 

From here: https://www.klipsch.com/blog/reference-vs-reference-premiere-whats-the-difference

"The Reference Premiere series was released early in 2015 and then was reimagined in 2018. It is widely considered our flagship series of home theater speakers. Many of our other premium home audio product lines get their sonic signature and tone from Reference Premiere as well."

"What makes Reference Premiere (RP) more kick-*** than other flagships we’ve released in the past?"

So one could get confused by Klipsch messaging.

My conclusion is that the RF-7 / RC-64 are really a line of their own, no matter what Klipsch marketing says.

Why?  Styling similar to the RP series but with real wood, compression drivers like the Heritage and Pro lines, and made in Hope like the Heritage and Pro lines.

Klipsch really confused the branding of Reference and Reference Premier.  First, they had Reference.  Then they created separate Reference and Reference Premier lines.  All the while they kept models from the original Reference line which are "above" the new lines but are more like RP than Reference, without giving them a new name.  I suggest they call the RF-7 III/RC-64 III something like "Reference Ultimate".  😁

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MMurg said:

Klipsch really confused the branding of Reference and Reference Premier.  First, they had Reference.  Then they created separate Reference and Reference Premier lines.  All the while they kept models from the original Reference line which are "above" the new lines but are more like RP than Reference, without giving them a new name.  I suggest they call the RF-7 III/RC-64 III something like "Reference Ultimate".  😁

Totally agree! Thus my conclusion, with your guidance in the FB group, that it really is a different beast. 

2 hours ago, paulgyro said:

Me neither, so I am right, it is in it's own line. 😵

Klipsch marketing decides what's a line and what isn't.  Unfortunately, they have decided to leave a weird confusing status quo.  This is what we have now:

• Current Reference line - These are the speakers at your average Best Buy, etc.
  • Current Reference Premier line - Pretty obvious.
  • Flagships of the Original Reference/Reference II line - These are the RF-7 III/RC-64 III.  The old Reference/Reference II line held a market position more like RP than the current Reference.  The current revisions of these models also have more in common technologically and cosmetically with RP as well.  Since these are marketing terms, I think a case could be made to just make the RF-7 III/RC-64 III the flagships of the RP line.  Alternatively, there could possibly be a marketing advantage to giving these their own moniker like "Reference Ultimate".  Ultimately, doing either would be better than the confusing status quo.

Edited by MMurg
Edit to add Reference II.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1