Forte lll - harsh sax

CWelsh

I've been noticing a harsh, distorted sound associated with saxophones on some jazz recordings. Only saxophones. For example, I'm listening to an HD version of Kind of Blue. In the Opening bars of So What, when the sax comes in, there is a very gritty sound from my right speaker. At the beginning of Freddie Freeloader it is in the left speaker. I noticed the same thing the other night when I was listening to Take Five. It never happens throughout the entire recording, though. And, I haven't noticed this on anything but some older jazz recordings. It may be there, but I haven't heard it.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Some recordings were just flawed at times.  Others the problem lies with remastering.  I have heard it on other genres as well, it can drive you nuts because you have to play something else to make sure it isn't a speaker issue.  When you do, you realize it is the recording, not the speaker.  I think you are listening to cd also, which older recordings were not mastered for, unless the original tapes are used.  What you get is like the bible---a translation of a translation of a translation....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

I've been noticing a harsh, distorted sound associated with saxophones on some jazz recordings. Only saxophones. For example, I'm listening to an HD version of Kind of Blue. In the Opening bars of So What

HD recordings can  alter the sound reproduction in some instruments , if the Recording was not made using the Studio's Master , or when a lower quality recording is  remastered Digitally , you must remember that quite a few Masters were destroyed years ago , and some remastering in HD  is now done using copies of the original-

If you want to hear the Best Quality , switch to HI-Res files , as these are done using  Masters exclusively , however they are a lot more costly -

• Like 2

I'm listening to these through Amazon Music over my Bluesound Node and the icon below the cover art says HR. I believe that is supposed to be Hi-Res.

I wondered if what I'm hearing is distortion that occurred during the recording process. In all the places where I hear it, it is where more than one instrument is hitting the note hard. I can imagine it would be quite loud live, but on the recording it isn't. Interestingly, when there is a sax solo there isn't any distortion. Tis a puzzlement.

2 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

I'm listening to these through Amazon Music over my Bluesound Node and the icon below the cover art says HR. I believe that is supposed to be Hi-Res.

Amazon Music is unfortunately not Hi Res files  ,  Amazon Music HD hi-res is more like CD quality music  .

18 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

it is where more than one instrument is hitting the note hard.

you have Titanium compression drivers in the Forte III ,  try to lower the treble or midrange tone a tad -  does it help ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CWelsh said:

For example, I'm listening to an HD version of Kind of Blue. In the Opening bars of So What, when the sax comes in, there is a very gritty sound from my right speaker.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

My recordings of So What have the same thing -- it's the recording, not your system.

17 hours ago, CWelsh said:

I wondered if what I'm hearing is distortion that occurred during the recording process. In all the places where I hear it, it is where more than one instrument is hitting the note hard. I can imagine it would be quite loud live, but on the recording it isn't. Interestingly, when there is a sax solo there isn't any distortion. Tis a puzzlement.

My advice is in the second section of this post.

Those fantastic 60 years recordings from Bluenote and similar labels recorded the wind instruments very direct, clear, loud and dry. E.g. in Horace Silver's "Song for my Father", but many 100 recordings were mixed like that, from Freddy Hubbard to Herbie Hancock. It is literally the great sound of the 60's for which I love my 1977 Lascala the most. If you use good original masters, the dynamics of the horns are often even more blatant.

I also use Bluesound Node (2021 version). Just a thought...to eliminate other possible sources of distortion. In my case I use the digital volume control of the Bluesound...just a bit though. Because my Mcintosh C22CE preamp reacts unpleasantly and sometimes on the edge of distortion when the input gets too loud.

I know that the unregulated full output of the Bluesound in principle sounds a bit cleaner, but set the output only once via the sound control of the Bluesound app to 70 or 80% and compensate the volume loss with your preamp or integrated amplifier. It might eliminate the distortion if the output of the Bluesound is taken back a bit at the input of the amp...especially with this kind of recordings.

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

I also use Bluesound Node (2021 version). Just a thought...to eliminate other possible sources of distortion. In my case I use the digital volume control of the Bluesound...just a bit though. Because my Mcintosh C22CE preamp reacts unpleasantly and sometimes on the edge of distortion when the input gets too loud.

I know that the unregulated full output of the Bluesound in principle sounds a bit cleaner, but set the output only once via the sound control of the Bluesound app to 70 or 80% and compensate the volume loss with your preamp or integrated amplifier. It might eliminate the distortion if the output of the Bluesound is taken back a bit at the input of the amp...especially with this kind of recordings.

I will look into this and give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.