For Sale: Gil McDermott's (WMcD) audio gear (McIntosh, Belles, Forte, etc.) - (please read)

opusk2k9

8 hours ago, opusk2k9 said:

Latest Gil update:

Gil is still hospitalized.  He is eating normally and is off oxygen, but is still paralyzed on his left side.  Mentally he is pretty good, but there are some gaps and things he is confused about.

He will be going to a rehab facility soon and will be there for three to four months.  What happens after that depends on how much progress he makes during rehab, but it is unlikely that he will be able to live on his own.

TX for the news -

• Like 1

Thanks opus.  Please tell Joe that this stuff takes time and some of the confusion will lift and Gil's capabilities can increase if he follows instructions for rehab/PT/therapy (or we're all gonna come after him and kick his butt!)  The confusion is normal and people vary and memory is flat-out weird.  It's a process. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, opusk2k9 said:

Gil update:

"Gil would love to talk to people.  I think his biggest problem is boredom right now."

I have Gil's contact info if people want to PM me for it.

does he have an Android or an Iphone ?  or is that is even possible  , if he does , you  could log him into the klipsch Forum 

, we can ask @Chad to re-issue a new Password and  a user name  if Gil  forgot it  - and , with 1 hand , he can type  a post  ...........tell  Gil that one of his old buddies @the real Duke Spinner  is back -

• Like 2

I am so sorry to see this!  Gil is one of those permanent presences who is always there for everyone with the greatest of care and sensitivity for everyone, especially those on the Forum.  He even came to the great Planets concert I organized  clear up in Bethesda, several years ago, as Travis ad Gary will remember.  Best wishes, Gi!!

Larry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2021 at 2:09 PM, RandyH said:

it would be nice if you could keep the Amp and tuner , as well as a pair of Belles for Gil  ,  once he gets better , he may not be too happy to hear that all his gear is gone --but with a pair of stereo speakers and amp and tuner , that may just be what he needs -

On 12/8/2021 at 12:04 PM, opusk2k9 said:

Latest Gil update:

Gil is still hospitalized.  He is eating normally and is off oxygen, but is still paralyzed on his left side.  Mentally he is pretty good, but there are some gaps and things he is confused about.

He will be going to a rehab facility soon and will be there for three to four months.  What happens after that depends on how much progress he makes during rehab, but it is unlikely that he will be able to live on his own.

Since he is mentally "pretty good," I think he should decide what equipment is to be sold -- unless he already has. 

Will whoever sees him give him our regards and thank him for his years of wisdom on the forum?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, garyrc said:

Since he is mentally "pretty good," I think he should decide what equipment is to be sold -- unless he already has. 

Will whoever sees him give him our regards and thank him for his years of wisdom on the forum?

Gary ,  Gil  will be back on the Forum  , no doubt in my mind  , it's just a question of time .

• Like 2

I have a relatively short list of people who have taught me useful things. I still search the archives for old Gil posts to jog my memory - many are bookmarked. 

I doubt anyone is selling anything without Gil's permission. There are bills to be paid.

• Like 1

I spoke with Gil Thursday and just finished a trip to Chicago to pick up some things.

Thankfully Joe helped me load and was nice enough to drive to the suburbs and help me unload as well.

I was able to grab the McIntosh gear, walnut Forte, and (3) walnut Belles.

Along with several woofers crossovers, etc.

I will discuss with Gil how to proceed and what to sell.

I told Gil I can hold onto some of this stuff for a while until he figures out where he will be living after rehab.

I wasn't able to fit the homemade La Scala bass bins, the homemade k-horn/jubilee style bass bins, or the wooden horns.

The khorn/jubilee style do not need corners.  There were also some homemade risers for the Forte ~12" tall.

If you are interested and able to pick these up this weekend downtown Chicago please PM ASAP.

They will be clearing out the apartment Monday.

Again, if you wish to contact Gil, please PM me.  He would love to hear from people.

He trying to change facilities, but Joe will keep me updated if his contact info changes.

Ls style.png

khorn_jubilee_horns.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in the Forte's.  I have Forte 2's and need a center channel.  I too question selling all Gil's gear.  He clearly loves this stuff, and having SOME of it to enjoy, even in retirement or assisted living would likely still mean a lot to him.  Maybe some of the projects he won't be able to get to, but I know my elderly parents greatly value the stuff around them that they've enjoyed all their lives.  Not to give anyone "fatherly advice" but, maybe leave him a super nice set up he can enjoy of his stuff.  Or ask him to be sure.  

My prayers with Gil in his recovery.  If the Forte's need a home, put me on the list.

Tony