Rear Surround Recommendations for Heresy II setup

SalmonSurprise

9 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

The 4k 120Hz part is what's hurting you.  Do you really need that feature?

Lol, you read my mind. I just came back here to say I think I have unrealistic expectations for what I would feel comfortable spending.

I can do without ALL video requirements. I will just use the receiver for audio only.

That being said, since I am not interested (no space) to run separate amplifiers, maybe I would be better off getting a used high end, high power unit? Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, SalmonSurprise said:

Lol, you read my mind. I just came back here to say I think I have unrealistic expectations for what I would feel comfortable spending.

I can do without ALL video requirements. I will just use the receiver for audio only.

That being said, since I am not interested (no space) to run separate amplifiers, maybe I would be better off getting a used high end, high power unit? Thoughts?

In the 10+ receivers I've had over the years I've only bought one brand new.  I've generally gone with higher end units that are 3-5 years old.  I would guess on average I've paid 75% less than retail.

Here's a good example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-STR-ZA1000ES-7-2-Channel-4K-AV-Receiver-/133949652308?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

That's very similar to my receiver that works wonderfully with my Heresy setup.

22 minutes ago, SalmonSurprise said:

So if I plan on cranking 3 Heresy IIs (4 ohm), 2 RS-7s, and 1 R-2800-CSM II (2ch ceiling), what kind of power do I need to push it without much distortion or overheating (will be in a enclosed rack with some ventilation but not tons).

As long as you're not going super low end in the receiver, any mid-level or higher one will suffice.

Here's another to consider:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Elite-VSX-LX304-9-2-ch-AV-Receiver-4K-Dolby-Atmos-Excellent-Condition-/284557376671?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 10:40 PM, SalmonSurprise said:

How bad would a Onkyo TX-NR6050 be?

I had an Onk TX and liked it. They run hot and last less than others. I got about 8 years from mine. Since a receiver does so many things I don't expect more than 10 years from one. It sounds like your space requires either wall mounted speakers, which of course will not match at all w/ your Heresys, or a free standing Reference series like an RF-7.  

• Like 1

Is it totally necessary that you sit close to the back wall?  The best listening position is often described as one-third of the way into the room, which gets you further away from the strong reflected sound coming off the back wall and blurring the sound.  My living room is 18’ x 19’, with only half a wall on one side.  The sofa is about 6 feet from the rear wall, which leaves enough room for 3 surround speakers (Left Surround, Centre Rear, and Right Surround) behind the sofa, for a 6.2 system when I’m not listening to 2-channel music.  It works out well sonically, and the TV is still 12 feet away, so there’s still some useful space in the room.  If you arrange your seating so that your speakers are not so far away, you’ll need less power and get a wider apparent (wider angle) sound stage, plus you may find that you can hear more low-level details in the music, even at lower volume levels.

There is one seating position to be avoided.  That’s in the middle of the room, where you can often find a big bass dip, no matter what kind of subwoofer you may be using, but few rooms are shaped to make sitting right in the middle a logical choice.

• Like 1

Your didn't say how much space your have the the left and right of your seating. Consider purchasing one more Heresy for and all Heresy 5.1 system w/ the surround Heresy to the sides of your seating instead of behind.

The Marantz NR1510 is an excellent sounding 50wpc AVR.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-nr1510-nr1710

For less money the Denon AVR-S660H is a great budget AVR.

https://www.ecoustics.com/products/denon-avr-s660h-s760h-av-receivers/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you haven't decided on speakers yet, I use Heresy II as side surrounds and have them hung at an angle using easy to make wood supports.

For rears, I use the KPT-100 which are angled and don't protrude into the room as much. There are modern equivalents.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I didn’t see all these replies until now! I ended up picking up a deal locally where I got a Denon X4200 and a pair of RF-82 speakers sold as a set for $600. Now I have 4 Hersey II, 2 RF-82, 2 RS-35, 1 R-2800-CSM II, and 1 JBL PSW1000.

I will try to take some measurements soon and make a diagram of the room to scale.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:02 PM, SalmonSurprise said:

Wow! I didn’t see all these replies until now! I ended up picking up a deal locally where I got a Denon X4200 and a pair of RF-82 speakers sold as a set for $600. Now I have 4 Hersey II, 2 RF-82, 2 RS-35, 1 R-2800-CSM II, and 1 JBL PSW1000.

I will try to take some measurements soon and make a diagram of the room to scale.

Oh the irony! I just sold a pair of RF 82's (for $460). I still have a pair and use them as rear/sides on my 5.1 system (I used to have 2 pair in my old 9.2 configuration). 

I have RF-7s and an RC 64 up fromt and the 82's are excellent as rears/side. In a similar set up I have them angled inwards a few feet to the side and a couple feet in the back.

I take you have your 3rd Heresy as your center...usually that only works with a projector, where did you locate your center channel Heresy, is it behind your TV?. In any event, if you want bang for buck you cannot beat the 82's. A touch sharp for music, but absolutely perfect for HT rear/side stage. Now you just need another sub :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dr_jitsu said:

Oh the irony! I just sold a pair of RF 82's (for $460). I still have a pair and use them as rear/sides on my 5.1 system (I used to have 2 pair in my old 9.2 configuration). 

I have RF-7s and an RC 64 up fromt and the 82's are excellent as rears/side. In a similar set up I have them angled inwards a few feet to the side and a couple feet in the back.

I take you have your 3rd Heresy as your center...usually that only works with a projector, where did you locate your center channel Heresy, is it behind your TV?. In any event, if you want bang for buck you cannot beat the 82's. A touch sharp for music, but absolutely perfect for HT rear/side stage. Now you just need another sub :)

I have the TV wall mounted and the LCR Hersey’s below it. Quick question…these RS-35 speakers have a keyhole mount which looks like you just hang them on a nail or screw. BUT I noticed in the keyhole there is also a threaded hole. What is the correct way to mount these on a wall?