2 channel vs 5

rican1965

Need some help I bought jbl-sda2200 I have cornwall iv forte iv and klipsch rf-7111 I was able to run all 6 speakers Bridge but not for long after 30 minutes the amp goes off switch to 4 speakers same thing but took longer . Decided to just play 2 speakers so far ok but should I change the amp for parasound A51 any advise 

3 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I haven't listened to 2 channel since they called it stereo. :) Multichannel Music on DVD-A, SACDs, Bluray, DVDS and DRS disks are incredible on a multichannel system...That said, I'm not familiar with your set up but definitely go with a processor able to decode those formats into separate channels. 

Dolby is releasing a new update to the Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) in 2022. Some new products, or possibly firmware updates, will now be able to unlock the true potential of DSU, unleashing the capability for properly managing content on up to 34 separate speakers in a home theater. Specs have not been released yet. Currently on the market DTS:X Pro supports up to 30 speaker positions with 4 different layers of speaker arrangements, as seen below.

trinnov_audio_dtsx_pro_layout_levels.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

YMMV…

Does that suit you?

He did post this in the “two channel forum”. I don’t go in the home theatre forum and trash surround sound. I know my place.

It says 5 Channel right in the thread title. That is why I came in here. I was trying to engage with you, hoping that you had some more information and opinions that you would like to share with the rest of us. If you don't want to participate, that's fine and entirely up to you. Obviously viewpoints that swing toward preferring multichannel configurations will be outnumbered when posted in a 2-channel thread chain. I don't see that as a sign reading "stay out". I didn't even know I had "a place". Surely you jest. Also, I didn't trash anything or anyone.

6 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

Dropping the ohms too low? 

I don't think that since a multichannel amp should cover each channel up to a certain wattage per channel or as an aggregate output for all added together. I am wondering the larger draw channels are closing down from overheating. I have only had one amp that was multi channel and have never had much interest in them so kind of conjecture on my part.

8 hours ago, rican1965 said:

Need some help I bought jbl-sda2200 I have cornwall iv forte iv and klipsch rf-7111 I was able to run all 6 speakers Bridge but not for long after 30 minutes the amp goes off switch to 4 speakers same thing but took longer . Decided to just play 2 speakers so far ok but should I change the amp for parasound A51 any advise 

What equipment are you using?

6 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

What equipment are you using?

If it is only this, you are not using it correctly.

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/electronics/amplifiers/SDA-2200-.html

You should use something like this in between the amp and those speakers.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38160&gclid=Cj0KCQiA47GNBhDrARIsAKfZ2rAmkO_c-DyHqY4yNK5Mul2LA6EkVFFqN82w_GiLDorGDNfi0nHylygaAhw0EALw_wcB

16 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

Dolby is releasing a new update to the Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) in 2022

Cool. For the last decade I've used Dolby PlIz to upcovert this material to 9.2 and it's amazing how good it works. I've read that DSU is even better but I'm waiting for my AVR to go kaput before the upgrade.  

6 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

What equipment are you using, specifically what amplifier do you have hooked up to all of those speakers?

The initial post says he is using a JBL SDA-2200 in bridged mode. I just looked it up and it is, in fact, a two-channel amp that can be bridged for up to 1100 watts into 4 ohms. I'm thinking the guess of dropping the ohms too low by linking all the speakers together is the problem.

OK guy, here goes.... 

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/electronics/amplifiers/SDA-2200-.html

You are taking a TWO CHANNEL Amplifier and trying to power 3 sets of speakers?   So you are bridging the amp at 2 ohms with impedance drops lower. I'm shocked it even plays for more than a couple minutes like that.   What are you trying to accomplish?   Why power 3 sets of stereo speakers at the same time?   Doesn't make sense.... Are you trying to do home theater?   If so, those speakers are also all very mismatched and likely won't play a well together.   They sound substantially different from one another.... 

2 hours ago, rican1965 said:

I was able to run all 6 speakers Bridge but not for long after 30 minutes the amp goes off

No, he is running 6 speaker speakers off of one amp in bridged mono.  The amp is going into protection mode as a result.   15k worth of gear mentioned, surely things could be set up better....   Nice gear BTW! 

• Like 2