Trachorn vs. Elliptrac Which Is Better?

geoff.

7 hours ago, justinsweber said:

Here is what’s in process. 
crossovers are designed by ALK. Similar to the jib passive 

bassbin is a JWC\fast lane design. I wanted front ported.  The porting is so cool.  

multicells are from Germany. Need to finish the bassbin, bike crosser and design a framing for the multicells. 

E4AAA0DC-C919-4D47-9F1B-02EFBC2E4FEC.jpeg

A34C8BBF-2B05-496E-B114-AD29F5D2B1F4.jpeg

Hmmmm...ports in the horn...where have i seen that before:)

• Like 1

In my defense the bassbin is tratrix. Go ask JWC.  Front porting was chosen to reduce room interaction.  
audio adhd. Maybe.  I just finished a custom Zu soul supreme.  Keeps me busy I think. 

re these speakers. I have no idea what I was thinking.  They are going to be amazing. I’m sure of it. But I will be shaming them into a small room.  Anyone want to build me a bonus room 😉

On 12/13/2021 at 12:03 PM, Dave A said:

Much cheaper in material and the equipment required to make solid wood horns. Reflecting on the difference between formed plywood horns and solid stacked BB machine horns brings me to something I experienced last week. I had been running those ZXPC 10 x 18 horns recently as I had a visitor here talk me out of my first set of 7 x 14" mouth solid wood horns. Wanting to listen to something before I cut another set I used the Faital HF146R drivers and that ZXPC horn. When I had another set cut I went to swap them out and noticed the ZXPC had vibration in it and it never sounded as good as the wood horn. Now it was not mounted in anything so how it would behave with the flange screwed in tight I don't know. It made me wonder about plastic horn resonance though. I think the same could be true with formed plywood horns.

I have caulk lining the backside of the K700 horns in my H1’s to cut down on some perceived resonance.

From what I remember reading a while back, birch plywood has a relatively narrow Q for a given resonant frequency compared to MDF, so on a formed plywood horn one might have some noticeable peaks depending on other damping factors.

One can measure the effects of damping material with a piezo transducer pickup and some frequency sweep software.

This was a before and after graph when I added a layer to the back of my H1’s to tame the 1/2” back panel vibration.

250CEB2E-A06D-48B2-A69E-A4468EC2C22E.png.03b2f49c5616e50ac0eb77678fed3eb1.png

I never got around to measuring vibration on anything other than the rear of the cabinet but the same method could easily be used for a mid horn to determine if there are resonant frequencies being excited by the attached driver.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

I would think the directivity would be a bit different due to the differences in shape.

Yes, I agree.  Oddly, Klipsch uses a plastic square horn (in everything they make) when they can make an oval horn for the same price.  I am guessing that they do this to control the off axis response. 

I think, maybe a single port on the last flare (one each side).

The aesthetics are nice with the 4  smaller ones, though.

Justin, are you using the Delta 12LFA on all of these or trying other woofers? I need to get up to 800-900 hz.