JBL 4628B opinions needed

tromprof

They are designed for keyboards...accordingly excellent mids and highs, bass along the lines of a Heresy...many consider this model to be one of the best of the earlier pro stuff for home use, particularly when augmented with a subwoofer.

They imaged better than my stock '86 LaScalas, probably due to the well respected 2404H tweeter.

4628B specs.pdf

• Like 1

Trying to set up a meeting to check them out tomorrow. They are similar in size to a Cornwall (shorter but fatter) and weigh 108 pounds. Definitely going to need to install casters if I get them to move them into the house during bad weather.

3 hours ago, tromprof said:

There is a pair of JBL 4628B Caberet Series speakers for sale near me.  Any experiece with these?

These Cabaret series 4628B  speakers have  Birch cabinets , and they look to be in great shape  , try to see them today , instead of tomorrow ,  and depending on the deal , they might sell quite quickly

• Like 1

Good speakers with a good sound, but as others have mentioned not as much bass as you might think out of huge 15" woofers.  The Cornwall digs much deeper with a 15" woofer than these.  If the price is right get them, but don't overpay because they not a hard to find vintage model that will increase in value much with age.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 8:59 AM, tromprof said:

There is a pair of JBL 4628B Caberet Series speakers for sale near me. One owner, seemingly used as home speakers instead of gigging. Any experiece with these? I would be using them at my rural place on a big screen porch.  

Too bad it didn't work out if they are close to you maybe you should go give them a listen, maybe he'll change his mind and lower the price?

These remind me of an old pair of Peavey International 115 series III I picked up years back for $100-- wanted to compare them to my Chorus II's and I was actually quite impressed with them remember leaving them hooked up for a full day when I was just planning on doing a quick swap. A buddy of mine liked them too so he ended up with them and they're still in his 28x50 shop which they have no problem filling with sound.

peaveyinterntliii.jpg

On 12/6/2021 at 10:26 PM, tromprof said:

I was excited to hear these but the seller suddenly increased the price

these were actually pretty nice sounding speakers ,  if not excellent --plus the cabs are in excellent shape , anything under 1k$ is a bargain -1200$ maximum -

I finnaly worked it out with the seller. Apparently his wife got involved and told him to sell me the speakers for the agreed on price. 🤣

These really sound nice, they remind me quite a bit of my Cornwalls but more refined and detailed. Big fat bass as well, though a sub will be needed for the bottom octave or so. I'm going to really enjoy these.

IMG_4424.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...