MEH Synergy

I've gone through  ALOT of gear being in this hobby - constantly switching my gear - but my Plinius SA100 MKIII has been in my system now for 13 years. I love this amplifier. 

I kept it over my VRDs, Welborn 300Bs, McIntosh 7270, McIntosh 2505, McCormick DNA 0.50 and 2.0, and many other amps that I'm forgetting. 

Only one that came close was McCormick 2.0 - but I still like the Plinius most. 

I also think the Plinius mates really well with all Klipsch gear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dkalsi said:

I've gone through  ALOT of gear being in this hobby - constantly switching my gear - but my Plinius SA100 MKIII has been in my system now for 13 years.

Well damn.... Haha. According to Ralph that performed the work, this amplifier has a LONG break in period after the work was done.   It honestly sounds great, it's just a little too sweet and smooth for my tastes in class A, which is why I bought it and yes, it runs hot of course in that mode as well.   Wanted to give it a shot anyhow.  I can understand why you like it.  Thanks for your input.  

42 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

@dkalsi with a comment like that, you are making me think that I should keep this amp and give it more time.... 

Maybe you should, at least reevaluate. Or maybe you’re just not a fan of true Class A. For me, that’s where I live. Although I do use Hypex nCores and Benchmark. Class A should sound as you described - sweet and smooth. 

6 minutes ago, richieb said:

Maybe you should, at least reevaluate. Or maybe you’re just not a fan of true Class A. For me, that’s where I live. Although I do use Hypex nCores and Benchmark. Class A should sound as you described - sweet and smooth. 

You might be right. I've tried a few of them now. I do really like my hypex ncore NC1200... Primarily because it is still the best value to performance amp I have found.   What I DO like about the plinius is that some music I preferred class A/B and other styles of music I preferred Class A.   Anything that was very rhythmic with lots of energy, I preferred class A/B setting.   Music that was more mellow/ acoustic or vocal, I strongly preferred the class A.   This amp is truly the best of both worlds.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

It honestly sounds great, it's just a little too sweet and smooth for my tastes in class A,   

That is a very fair and accurate assessment - I do think it is "sweet and smooth" - almost laid-back ("tube-like") to me - but that is precisely why I have enjoyed it with horn-based speakers. I do think anyone who purchases this amp will be really happy with it. I mates really well with a lot of speakers. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dkalsi said:

That is a very fair and accurate assessment - I do think it is "sweet and smooth" - almost laid-back

Verbatim what I hear.   At the volumes I often listen to my JBLs at, they are quite smooth due to distance apart and this amp makes too relaxed up top. Too much of a good thing if you will.  I do believe based on what I see many post here about their gear and listening impressions that this amp would be what many here would like. 

28 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

PURE class A or pure class a/b.  You choose 

Nice looking amp man, really like the heatsinks! You sure come across a lot of nice gear wish I had you as my neighbor. Good luck with the sale looks like a keeper to me. 

• Thanks 1

• MEH Synergy changed the title to Plinius SA-100 MKIII 3 Class A, A/B Power Amplifier $1000 Upgrade 3 Months Ago