Jump to content

Chorus II (1990): Midrange Horn that can be used with A55G/2?


StevePaul
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Marvel said:

The holes in mine match the pic of the Chorus II horn

 

Which picture? The horns you have used to be mine I've owned several pairs (still have a pair in my 301-II's) I know these horns and the Chorus II horns like the back of my hand they are different without a doubt.

 

 

chii.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

Which picture? The horns you have used to be mine I've owned several pairs (still have a pair in my 301-II's) I know these horns and the Chorus II horns like the back of my hand they are different without a doubt.

That's weird... I saw a pic on here of the Forte II without the corner screw holes. Must have been hallucinating.

 

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

The horns you have used to be mine I've owned several pairs

You sold that pair to Mark?

 

Dave has some of the 3002 cabinets (unless he sold them) @Dave A

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

That's weird... I saw a pic on here of the Forte II without the corner screw holes. Must have been hallucinating.

 

You sold that pair to Mark?

 

Dave has some of the 3002 cabinets (unless he sold them) @Dave A

 

No empty cabinets here and all I have are 4 single MWM's and two pair of 415/4LF bass bins. Those 3002's went a LONG time ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

That's weird... I saw a pic on here of the Forte II without the corner screw holes. 

 

You sold that pair to Mark?

 

Yep sold them here on the forum a couple years ago I believe almost bought them back when he posted them up for sale as they are very hard to find used. Here's a picture from my Chorus II thread that matches the horn pic you posted, notice the thread tape and only two screw holes through it since those are the only holes that line up with the stock ones, also another pic from my forte II w/ A55-g thread clearly showing the different mounting hole lay out:

 

 

61vs604.jpg

604vs61.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 000 said:

ok , so these are the horns we saw in the Pics of the MWM cabs , was wondering what these were

If you mean the ones sitting in the mouth of the MWMs, no. Those are Selenium HM4750s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys....

 

If I can't get my hands on the K604 horns (with the screw insert for the A55G/2 driver), does anyone have opinions on if the K510 horn would work with the A55G/2 driver (with an adaptor) and the Crites Chorus II crossover?  Maybe create a top hat for the Chorus II and place the K510 on top?  

 

I am not looking to go 2-way with the K510....just wondering it I can play a little but with the K510 & A55G/2 and place it on top of the Chorus II, which would put the mid at around 44" off of the floor....which is ear-level for me as I am 6'6" tall and sit in a tall chair.  

 

I can do a little soldering/changing out of resistors/caps if required, but not experienced enough to redesign the xover by myself.

 

(FYI...my sister-in-law who lives in the Toronto area and can get part #131027, the K510 with Mumps, from a Canadian source and bring them to me over the holidays).

 

Thoughts?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, StevePaul said:

(FYI...my sister-in-law who lives in the Toronto area and can get part #131027, the K510 with Mumps, from a Canadian source and bring them to me over the holidays).

 

Thoughts?  

Never tried the A55g with the 510 myself but run a pair on the "poor mans" 510 the k-603's and they sound great. How much are the 510 with mumps if you don't mind me asking, could you possibly pick up an extra pair?

 

The left speaker is a modified Chorus II with a CF-4 (k-603) horn and the A55-g drivers the right speaker is my custom KPT-335's with the non-mumps k-510

 

 

ch2n335.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Never tried the A55g with the 510 myself but run a pair on the "poor mans" 510 the k-603's and they sound great. How much are the 510 with mumps if you don't mind me asking, could you possibly pick up an extra pair?

 

The left speaker is a modified Chorus II with a CF-4 (k-603) horn and the A55-g drivers the right speaker is my custom KPT-335's with the non-mumps k-510

 

 

ch2n335.jpg

I think the #131027 were $36 ea...but, they weren't more than $40.  If I decide to pick up a pair, I will try to get 2 more for you.  I am unsure if they have closed the border again (Michigan is getting hit hard with Covid currently).  If so, I won't be seeing my sister-in-law over the holidays....but, she can send them to me if the border is closed.  It just may take a little more time.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

 I have upgraded my Chorus 2 with the A55G and the KP301 horn. I was able to find the horn on Ebay, hard to find. I initially mounted the a55g to the stock horn with an adapter, but the sound was not right. I realized that the a55g has the compression "bullet' as part of the throat of the driver itself. The stock chorus and forte mid horns incorporate the compression bullet as a plastic section of the horn throat, therefore you now have two compression bullets. ( pardon me  if "bullet is not he correct term)

 I can say that the a55g is a huge improvement over the stock driver. Just finding the horn with the threaded interface is difficult. But the kp301 horn fits right in place and from the outside you can't tell a difference.

 I would not recommend the Crites crossover unless you just want to replace the original. For that purpose the Crites is fine, and can be improved with point to point wiring, replace the iron core inductors and sand cast resistors as well.

 I may be a benefit in the very near future as I am planning a trip to GR Research in Texas. I am taking the Chorus to them to be measured. They will then design a crossover accordingly. (I currently have the Crites installed) He will then have the specifications and possibly a kit available for purchase. He did the same with a customer that brought in a Forte 3. Huge improvement. Video of this upgrade is on Youtube, GR Research channel. I'm thinking about taking a Forte 2 as well just so he can offer a crossover kit to the public.. I have a pair bone stock.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DonH said:

Hello,

 I have upgraded my Chorus 2 with the A55G and the KP301 horn. I was able to find the horn on Ebay, hard to find. I initially mounted the a55g to the stock horn with an adapter, but the sound was not right. I realized that the a55g has the compression "bullet' as part of the throat of the driver itself. The stock chorus and forte mid horns incorporate the compression bullet as a plastic section of the horn throat, therefore you now have two compression bullets. ( pardon me  if "bullet is not he correct term)

 I can say that the a55g is a huge improvement over the stock driver. Just finding the horn with the threaded interface is difficult. But the kp301 horn fits right in place and from the outside you can't tell a difference.

 I would not recommend the Crites crossover unless you just want to replace the original. For that purpose the Crites is fine, and can be improved with point to point wiring, replace the iron core inductors and sand cast resistors as well.

 I may be a benefit in the very near future as I am planning a trip to GR Research in Texas. I am taking the Chorus to them to be measured. They will then design a crossover accordingly. (I currently have the Crites installed) He will then have the specifications and possibly a kit available for purchase. He did the same with a customer that brought in a Forte 3. Huge improvement. Video of this upgrade is on Youtube, GR Research channel. I'm thinking about taking a Forte 2 as well just so he can offer a crossover kit to the public.. I have a pair bone stock.

 

Thank you for adding to this conversation.  The Chorus II are a great set of speakers.  I am continually on the outlook for the KP-301 horns.  I look forward to seeing what GR Research does!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StevePaul said:

Thank you for adding to this conversation.  The Chorus II are a great set of speakers.  I am continually on the outlook for the KP-301 horns.  I look forward to seeing what GR Research does!!

I've added Kilmat to my Heresy and Chorus II mid horns. The audio improvement was substantial. For my Heresys, the Kilmat improved the bass and high mids simultaneously. For my Chorus IIs, the Kilmat completely got rid of a honking hollow sound that was very distracting. Kilmat may not be as dramatic as a better horn, but it is a substantial improvement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would a crossover modification be needed to incorporate the a55g?

I have soldered lug k55v and 301 threaded horns, but if I remember the

k-61-k driver is a little hotter than the other 2. Am I wrong? 
 

duh..I just seen @DonH post. 

Edited by Madman1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

those 301 horns and the a55g will drop right in. I also used Dynamat like product on the horn. Called Norco on Amazon, a lot less expensive than dynamat. No absolute need to upgrade the crossover, but a crossover upgrade should be done as the original is in my opinion junk.

 When I upgrade mine from the Crites that is in them now I will sell the Crites x overs.

Edited by DonH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DonH said:

those 301 horns and the a55g will drop right in. I also used Dynamat like product on the horn. Called Norco on Amazon, a lot less expensive than dynamat. No absolute need to upgrade the crossover, but a crossover upgrade should be done as the original is in my opinion junk.

 When I upgrade mine from the Crites that is in them now I will sell the Crites x overs.

I upgraded/recapped my crossovers a few years back. Just wasn’t sure about the difference in sensitivity of the 2 mid drivers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/21/2021 at 7:48 AM, DonH said:

Hello,

 I have upgraded my Chorus 2 with the A55G and the KP301 horn. I was able to find the horn on Ebay, hard to find. I initially mounted the a55g to the stock horn with an adapter, but the sound was not right. I realized that the a55g has the compression "bullet' as part of the throat of the driver itself. The stock chorus and forte mid horns incorporate the compression bullet as a plastic section of the horn throat, therefore you now have two compression bullets. ( pardon me  if "bullet is not he correct term)

 I can say that the a55g is a huge improvement over the stock driver. Just finding the horn with the threaded interface is difficult. But the kp301 horn fits right in place and from the outside you can't tell a difference.

 I would not recommend the Crites crossover unless you just want to replace the original. For that purpose the Crites is fine, and can be improved with point to point wiring, replace the iron core inductors and sand cast resistors as well.

 I may be a benefit in the very near future as I am planning a trip to GR Research in Texas. I am taking the Chorus to them to be measured. They will then design a crossover accordingly. (I currently have the Crites installed) He will then have the specifications and possibly a kit available for purchase. He did the same with a customer that brought in a Forte 3. Huge improvement. Video of this upgrade is on Youtube, GR Research channel. I'm thinking about taking a Forte 2 as well just so he can offer a crossover kit to the public.. I have a pair bone stock.

 

Be sure to update this thread when you get back from GR R. Tell them there are at least 6 more modified Chorus II crossovers waiting for him to build when he is done measuring, designing, and building yours.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...