Chorus II (1990): Midrange Horn that can be used with A55G/2?

StevePaul

3 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

Be sure to update this thread when you get back from GR R. Tell them there are at least 6 more modified Chorus II crossovers waiting for him to build when he is done measuring, designing, and building yours.

From what I've seen on his video's he builds one set then puts together a "kit" based on that for others to buy and build themselves as he only has time to design not manufacture.

I am running the original A55G midrange in my chorus II speakers. Bob Crites told me the stock crossover was fine for the driver. I bought an adapter to mount the A55G to the stock horn, but I am now using the midrange horns from the forte III and these A55G drivers thread right in.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I am running the original A55G midrange in my chorus II speakers. Bob Crites told me the stock crossover was fine for the driver. I bought an adapter to mount the A55G to the stock horn, but I am now using the midrange horns from the forte III and these A55G drivers thread right in.

Am I right in thinking that the 55v is the same as the 55g? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

The two piece phase plug version is. 

There are two sets of distortion measurements. The Allen driver looks better in both. 

the  readings were not done with 2 brand new drivers , but rather with a  35-40 year Old k55V and a new A55-G ,  that is definitely not the  proper way to test distortion  on  2 drivers -

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime back in to say I installed the k55v soldered lug and “301?” Horn in my chorus ii a while back. Did an a/b first and wasn’t sure I was going to like it. The midrange was definitely less in your face and I thought a bit too laid back, but once I installed both and listened for a while I was really happy with the results. It is a little more laid back, but seems to blend really nice and I don’t notice anything shouting or shrillness ad nothing stands out or draws your attention. I actually ended up toeing them in a little more and they sound wonderful. I haven’t run rew so all I’m describing is my personal experience. Would love to update the diaphragms in the k55v or try the a55g but right now I’m happy with the results. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

The midrange was definitely less in your face and I thought a bit too laid back, but once I installed both and listened for a while I was really happy with the results. It is a little more laid back, but seems to blend really nice and I don’t notice anything shouting or shrillness ad nothing stands out or draws your attention. I actually ended up toeing them in a little more and they sound wonderful.

Yes that is one of the reasons I originally tried that driver to reduce mid level output should be around -2db from stock which actually gives them the same woofer to mid balance as the forte. 

As much as I love the stock Chorus II they can tend to get shouty in certain situations and sound a little thin at lower volumes, again in certain situations lots of variables involved but overall I myself find the 55v / A55 to be a big improvement.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 8:57 PM, RandyH said:

the  readings were not done with 2 brand new drivers , but rather with a  35-40 year Old k55V and a new A55-G ,  that is definitely not the  proper way to test distortion  on  2 drivers -

I never confirmed this, I suspected it. Since I don't talk to Al anymore, I shouldn't have speculated.

A third source has independently tested and confirmed, but I'm not talking about that here.

3 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Not really. All I can tell you is that we looked at it. It’s a good driver but we decided to stick with the good driver we are using. 

I'm sure this is where PWK's famous quote: "Not a dime's worth of difference" might have come in! LOL.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

56 cent

So, Crankysoldermeister gets 50 cent from Travis because he has read my „elaborated“ post in „Cornwall 1 bad crossover help“ and 6 cent from you on top which is a bargain or does he get 50 cents from Travis and another 56 cents from you? So he would become rich.

Started out as “50 Cent”, after the rapper. It was tongue in cheek from Roy because I’m only right half the time, lol. A nickel raise somewhere else (not the bad cap thread), and now a penny. Increases can only come from Roy (sorry Travis). 

If half of everything only “makes a dime’s worth a difference”, that could add up to quite a bit.