Did I ruin my titanium diaphragm tweeters?

gsgleason

I picked up a pair of cherry RF-5 for a great price on FB marketplace, but they were really disgusting.

I've removed all he drivers and horns and have been cleaning them up.

I disassembled the horn from the tweeter and thought that the horse hair brush on my vacuum would be gentle enough on the diaphragms.  I was wrong.

I dented them and pushed them back, but now they're crinkled looking.  Do I need to replace them or will they be okay?

PXL_20211207_205259323.jpg

15 hours ago, gsgleason said:

thought that the horse hair brush on my vacuum would be gentle enough on the diaphragms

I suppose if they start to buck the sound or you only hear neighhhhhhhhh neighhhhhhhhhhh (or whatever the sound is a horse makes!!) you might have a problem.

As been said though, give them a try before hitting the panic button.  Could have been worse.....you might have been using your skunk hair brush... so I'd be counting your blessings!!

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, gsgleason said:

I picked up a pair of cherry RF-5 for a great price on FB marketplace, but they were really disgusting.

I've removed all he drivers and horns and have been cleaning them up.

I disassembled the horn from the tweeter and thought that the horse hair brush on my vacuum would be gentle enough on the diaphragms.  I was wrong.

I dented them and pushed them back, but now they're crinkled looking.  Do I need to replace them or will they be okay?

They should be fine I wouldn't worry about them unless they don't sound right? I believe these are the 4 ohm drivers might want to test them before buying new ones.  

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

Put them back together and enjoy them until you can order a new diaphragm.  The wrinkles won't be good for frequency response, but probably not fatal, either. 

^^ He's right.  I've seen his 2-3 wrinkles...  (don't we all have some by now?) and his voice is clear as a bell.

I have a pair of RB-51 II bookshelves in the basement I picked up used, without grills.

A few years ago one of my kids was really into "pecking" at stuff with a tool, whatever metallic was around like a set of keys, a fingernail clipper.  I don't know, he was 9 or 10 years old, he'd keep doing it even though I kept giving him old boards to beat the crap out of, not sure what the fascination was...but as part of this fascination he had to go and artificially age one of two bar stools upstairs, one of the two *different* bar stools downstairs, the dining room table, his bed frame.....and one of the woofers of the RB-51 II speakers. 🤢

Haven't noticed a difference in sound, but I will admit at that time I decided those were the speakers he got to take with him when he leaves the house.  Which is a shame as unknown to him he was in line for the Heresys.

• Haha 2