Need something better than KG4s

Barefootserpent

30 minutes ago, gsgleason said:

So you think the RF5 is a big step up from the KG4?

I already had a black pair of Klipsch RF5 for my living room and I like them a lot. When a pair of cherry RF5s were available for $120 locally I jumped on them for a hifi setup in my basement. I also picked up a Yamaha AS701 amp and Technics SL 1700 TT.

It does seem silly have two pairs of RF5s (even though they sound really good to me), so I've been browsing local listings to see what else is out there.

A local guy is selling a mint set of KG4s in walnut for $400. They have the original boxes and even the manuals! They look absolutely pristine.

So, do you think the KG4 would be a good change for 2 channel music (vinyl and FLAC, no movies)?

The KG-4's are a very decent speaker but personally I like the RF-5's a bit better. If you have a chance to try a pair out might as well and see what they're all about I do like the looks of the KG-4's especially in walnut.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 10:08 AM, wuzzzer said:

What do you mean by "depth"?

On 12/14/2021 at 5:55 PM, wuzzzer said:

I always love it when people ask questions like this, only to be never heard from again.  🙄

I've always felt that it was customary to wait until all replies come in  in order to thank those who have offered their help so to these people thank you very much .

I Always love joining a forum and find welcoming people who make you want to be part of the group especially comments like this.  They typically like their little group and do not want any Outsiders joining.

2 hours ago, Barefootserpent said:

I Always love joining a forum and find welcoming people who make you want to be part of the group especially comments like this.  They typically like their little group and do not want any Outsiders joining.

Fortunately, most are very helpful and welcoming. I'm pretty new here, too, and as a new Klipsch owner, I feel like I'm gaining a lot of knowledge not only about the speakers, but supporting equipment as well. I hope you will stay and enjoy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barefootserpent said:

I've always felt that it was customary to wait until all replies come in  in order to thank those who have offered their help so to these people thank you very much .

"All replies come in"?  There's thousands of members here.

You were asked to clarify a word you used.  Answering it could have helped give you better advice.  Back and forth banter is always encouraged.

On 12/17/2021 at 10:47 AM, wuzzzer said:

"All replies come in"?  There's thousands of members here.

You were asked to clarify a word you used.  Answering it could have helped give you better advice.  Back and forth banter is always encouraged.

Fair enough. I was trying to express the lack of dynamic range. 

Nickyboy and BillyBob and others thanks. I've had a local guy here who sold me those speakers say the chorus would be huge step up but more money which is fine if I could get a set for about $1,000. Thanks everyone for your input it helps

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Barefootserpent said:

Fair enough. I was trying to express the lack of dynamic range. 

Nickyboy and BillyBob and others thanks. I've had a local guy here who sold me those speakers say the chorus would be huge step up but more money which is fine if I could get a set for about $1,000. Thanks everyone for your input it helps

Most any Klipsch 3-way design will fit the bill.  Heresys are a little light on bass depending on what you listen to.  Forte, Chorus, Cornwall, KLF-20 or 30 are all great.

Your ~$1000 budget should get you in the forte I/II or klf-20 maybe klf-30s range in most parts of the USA 48*. Chorus I/II's are heavy hitters in the bass department as well as the Cornwallis and expect to see more $$$ for them. If space is a concern the Chorus and even more so the Cornwalls are large speakers.

* Deals do show up but you just have to be on the lookout and be ready to jump on them. As an example it took ~six months but got a set of forte II's for $400 and about the same amount of looking to find a mint set of klf-30's w/OEM boxes for $900.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barefootserpent said:

Ok thanks all...on the hunt now.  Space is a problem so it looks like the chorus is probably the way to go. I will be patient and wait for the right ones  

I jumped it these  kg4 s and wish I had waited for something better. 

The Chorus models are very nice speakers and a big step up-- one of the nice things about buying these older models Klipsch speakers is they really hold their value quite well and have even increased in value lately so as long as you don't over pay and take good care of them you always have the options to resell in the future and get your money back or even make a few bucks not a bad deal considering you basically get "free use" of the speakers while you have them.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Barefootserpent said:

Ok thanks all...on the hunt now.  Space is a problem so it looks like the chorus is probably the way to go. I will be patient and wait for the right ones  

I jumped it these  kg4 s and wish I had waited for something better. 

there were 2 versions of the Chorus   Chorus  1 or Chorus II   , the Chorus 2 has a bigger horn and a rear passive woofer , while the Chorus 1 does not have a rear passive woofer , either version is fine but the Chorus 1 has less of an impact as far as speaker placement -the Chorus II however is a stunning looking speaker -

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Chorus-brochure.pdf

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Chorus-II-brochure.pdf

I wanted to provide you with my two cents on something to be aware of/be on the lookout for.

The original woofers were, I believe, K48k/e if I remember correctly. If you are looking at the speaker, make sure that you are checking the woofers to insure that they are the originals—they cannot be rebuilt and are not made any more. Per my knowledge there is not a “true” replacement drivers available. You'd need to look for some taken off another set of Chorus' if needed.

Don't want to scare you away, but thought you should be aware of this because I'd hate for you to invest the money in a set of Chorus and it not be as expected.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alexander said:

I wanted to provide you with my two cents on something to be aware of/be on the lookout for.

The original woofers were, I believe, K48k/e if I remember correctly. If you are looking at the speaker, make sure that you are checking the woofers to insure that they are the originals—they cannot be rebuilt and are not made any more. Per my knowledge there is not a “true” replacement drivers available. You'd need to look for some taken off another set of Chorus' if needed.

Don't want to scare you away, but thought you should be aware of this because I'd hate for you to invest the money in a set of Chorus and it not be as expected.

Oh wow.....very good advice thanks.........

20 minutes ago, Alexander said:

It is true the original woofers are not available anymore but Klipsch does have a newer version the k-48-st-- which means if buying new you'd need to order two so the set matches. Used woofers do show up often here on the forum and eBay though so I wouldn't be too deterred by this. The stock k-48 is very rugged "Pro grade" driver and has an extremely low failure rate from what I've seen.

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

It is true the original woofers are not available anymore but Klipsch does have a newer version the k-48-st-- which means if buying new you'd need to order two so the set matches. Used woofers do show up often here on the forum and eBay though so I wouldn't be too deterred by this. The stock k-48 is very rugged "Pro grade" driver and has an extremely low failure rate from what I've seen.

Aha. Breathing room