Need something better than KG4s

Barefootserpent

Dude! You live in Florida! You’re in business.

Jubilees and Klispchorns fall of the back of trucks daily down there. (Writer’s embellishment) But seriously, GOOD deals happen often in the panhandle.

You have been steered entirely in the right direction by the other posters.

A three-way with a 15” woofer will make you smile every time you turn it on. Any Chorus would be top on my list.

I was in pretty much the same boat as you a few years back after hearing Heresys for the first time and falling hard into the Klipsch rabbit hole. I ALMOST bought a pair of KG4s to start my journey but lucky for me they sold before I could make up my mind and a pair of Forte 2s came up so I pounced on them. I called them floor-standing headphones in my ad when a short time later I had the opportunity to grab a pair of Cornwalls. The Fortes were no match for the bigger sound of the 15” woofer.

And just like another poster mentioned, they were free rent. They hold their value and quickly sold for what I had into them. 

If something catches your eye and you aren’t sure throw it out to the forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Chorus is often referred to as a larger version of the Forte. I have Forte llls and love them, but I've never listened to a Chorus, so I can't express an opinion. I'm sure someone will. Like some others have said, though, at $600 you can't really go wrong in trying them for awhile. You should always be able to get your money back if you decide to trade up.

• Like 1

Just now, Barefootserpent said:

Just saw this. How do Forte  compare to a chorus? I would not want to make another mistake. Thanks very much for the Post I did not see it originally for some reason it did not get to me via email and following the topic

Had thought you looking for Chorus. It is where I am also after looking at this thread and where think you will be better or best served. The forte' is big around here. The Forte 2, maybe even more so. If were going forte, would prefer the 2 myself.

12 inch woofer versus 15 inch woofer in both model Chorus.

6 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

The Chorus is often referred to as a larger version of the Forte. I have Forte llls and love them, but I've never listened to a Chorus, so I can't express an opinion. I'm sure someone will.

Well actually would prefer 3s over the 2s in Forte but think OP is around 1k for buying used speaker.

Also, would include Cornwall in the bigger better.

• Like 1

Okay guys they are Forte 1s.  It is a three and a half hour drive over there so it is an all day deal with 7 hours in the car. The owner gave me an even better price so I'm tempted to drive over there and grab them but again I don't want to be disappointed and I have to change out for chorus later. Still have to punt my KG4s. I paid $400. They are flawless and in the original box but the sound is not there.  If I end up dreaming about the chorus speakers then I will have to sell  the fortes too.  And then there is the extra stereo equipment still hanging around my house that I don't use. McIntosh xr16 speakers, Jolida tube amp with issues, Yamaha integrated amp that needs to be redone. I'm pretty good at buying but not so good at selling :)

• Like 1

Okay guys they are Forte 1s.  It is a three and a half hour drive over there so it is an all day deal with 7 hours in the car. The owner gave me an even better price so I'm tempted to drive over there and grab them but again I don't want to be disappointed and I have to change out for chorus later. Still have to punt my KG4s. I paid $400. They are flawless and in the original box but the sound is not there.  If I end up dreaming about the chorus speakers then I will have to sell  the fortes too.  And then there is the extra stereo equipment still hanging around my house that I don't use. McIntosh xr16 speakers, Jolida tube amp with issues, Yamaha integrated amp that needs to be redone. I'm pretty good at buying but not so good at selling :)

48 minutes ago, Barefootserpent said:

Road trip tomorrow. I will post pictures and give you the results. Thanks everybody for their input .this place  is this place is great

Hope you can get some assurance from seller they will be there to checkout when you arrive.

16 hours ago, Barefootserpent said:

Okay guys they are Forte 1s.  It is a three and a half hour drive over there so it is an all day deal with 7 hours in the car.

You're not going to make me feel sorry for you. I had to drive five hours expecting to audition some Heresy's (only one Heritage dealer in our state). When I got there, he didn't have any Heresy's and I ended up with my Fortes for $3,000. I know these are Forte 1s, but I doubt mine are five times as good. Think of your extra two hours as being worth $1,000 an hour. 😄

Looking forward to hearing the results of the trip.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CWelsh said:

You're not going to make me feel sorry for you. I had to drive five hours expecting to audition some Heresy's (only one Heritage dealer in our state). When I got there, he didn't have any Heresy's and I ended up with my Fortes for $3,000. I know these are Forte 1s, but I doubt mine are five times as good. Think of your extra two hours as being worth $1,000 an hour. 😄

Looking forward to hearing the results of the trip.

Wow. That’s a long trip only to find out they didn’t have what you wanted. I certainly feel your pain. Anyway here’s the report. I made the trip and it was very long and I got back late but I bought the speakers. They were not without issue though mostly minor. The screens were a bit worn and one of the badges Was missing. Minor scrapes on the wood and in need of a major cleaning. The biggest problem was that the subwoofer dust cover cone smashed in. Both of them in the same condition. We tried to pull them out with double-sided tape but that was not strong enough. I tried a Dustbuster but that also was not strong enough. Will do some research and try to figure out how to get them back out. They did come with the original boxes and manuals although one manual was eating up pretty badly by worms. These were stored in the garage which is not ideal but I did not see any signs of corrosion and we removed one of the subwoofers and looked inside. I plugged them in after cleaning them and waxing them and they sound great. The best news is that I bought them for $500. It was certainly worth the trip and the money. Thank you all for your help and suggestions it means a lot.This forum is really helpful. I hope to be a contributing member in the future to help others

oops. I was trying to post pictures but no photos are over 2mb And will not upload. When I figure out later today how to reduce the size of the pictures I will post.

• Like 2

Congratulations! $500 seems like a great price...especially if you like how they sound. If at some point you decide you want to update/upgrade these, there are a bunch of people here who can guide you through it.

I was teasing you a bit, but I don't begrudge my trip at all. I learned that the Heresy would probably be too small for my room, so the Fortes were a great discovery.

Congrats, so glad to hear they were legit. Dust caps have no effect on the quality of sound, just aesthetics. So I would not knock yourself out if the looks are OK with you. So enjoy them for a bit and then look into replacing the caps in the xovers. They do not need to be anything special, just a set of Dayton would be a nice improvement with out a lot of cash outlay. Those OEM caps are over 40 years old.