Kenwood TT, repair or replace?

Invidiosulus

DBC9D0D3-BEA2-4A63-84B9-F23702837497.thumb.jpeg.5a0b17b0d373b0ac33f9ebe584ced2cb.jpeg

Tonight in the music repair lab...

My cheap Kenwood KD67F recently decided that it only wanted to play out of one channel. 

After a few moments of wishing I could smack whoever designed this thing, I was able to take it apart and determine that the loss of signal resides in the wires inside the tonearm.

So, I’ve got some stupidly small wire that I used when I rewired some gameboys this past spring.

But, it’s also a really cheap linear tracking turntable that I paid $25 American for around 13 years ago.

I think if its possible to get the P mount section of the tonearm apart so I can actually rewire it, I’ll go for it.

Otherwise, I’ll probably be looking for a new turntable.

Thoughts on tonearm specific wire VS  the cheap stuff this came with from the factory VS whatever I have on hand?

Cheers,

Josh

13 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

Not worth the hassle, IMO. Get a decent new one, or, if You're into fixing up something, like me, get a good vintage TT of choice and get that going yourself. Much more rewarding than this thing...

Well, you can say that, but linear tracking turntables have their following.

Hello, yes it went on the tonearm so p-mount cartridge 

should come off. Since no screwbolt(?)holding, maybe not much glue(?)holding. Abit delicate. If you can determine which wire is broken, seems unlikely, can replace. Maybe just connection. 

40 minutes ago, billybob said:

Hello, yes it went on the tonearm so p-mount cartridge 

should come off. Since no screwbolt(?)holding, maybe not much glue(?)holding. Abit delicate. If you can determine which wire is broken, seems unlikely, can replace. Maybe just connection. 

It’s not an issue of getting the cartridge off.

the connection is broken in the back side of the socket for the cartridge and it’s molded plastic and I don’t think I can get it apart without destroying it.

Specifically the white signal wire is snapped loose where it goes through the plastic.

8C1AEB65-FEB9-47F9-B41A-ACC676C2ACEA.jpeg.03ac75b9d86244b000c6350c9cb3d424.jpeg

1 minute ago, AndreG. said:

You're definitely right Marvel, I wasn't talking about linear trackers in general (Technics anyone? ) 😀 

I don’t have any great attachment to this TT or to linear tracking models and there is a good bit of added complexity.

Even when it’s as cheap and relatively simple implementation like this one.

Until the wire in the tonearm decided to quit this thing worked perfectly.

For my initial investment I’m okay with tossing this thing in the trash at this point.

I do want to get something with auto start/stop/cueing features.

oh well, on to something else...

• Like 1