QUEST FOR A USED CAR CONTINUES: AUDI

Bubo

9 minutes ago, richieb said:

I could bore you with a story about my 1999 Silverado w/62000 miles with a seized LS 5.3. But I won’t - 

Sorry to hear that .I have a 2005 Silverado Z71 with a 5.3 and 260,000 miles with the original exhaust and I'm afraid to admit original spark plugs. Pretty much just tires , batteries ,brakes, a waterpump, and a couple alternators.But boy is she rusty .

• Like 2

Young an

32 minutes ago, richieb said:

I could bore you with a story about my 1999 Silverado w/62000 miles with a seized LS 5.3. But I won’t - 

Before I was 20, I bought a Cadillac for $300 which never even made it home before the engine completely froze up. I've never driven another one.

44 minutes ago, richieb said:

I thought I was the only one, I had a 2000 Silverado 82000 miles same thing. I maintained it to the max Chevy dealer had no response? They did all the Maintenace it had a service record to the max.

9 minutes ago, rmlowz said:

I thought I was the only one, I had a 2000 Silverado 82000 miles same thing. I maintained it to the max Chevy dealer had no response? They did all the Maintenace it had a service record to the max.

They were reliable, maybe you guys got stuck with the Monday after New year's build date. 

While not perfect odds are you will get 200,000 miles plus out of these. 

Lightweight turbocharged engines will be more succeptable to breakage and more costly to own over the long run.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jason str said:

They were reliable, maybe you guys got stuck with the Monday after New year's build date. 

While not perfect odds are you will get 200,000 miles plus out of these. 

Lightweight turbocharged engines will be more succeptable to breakage and more costly to own over the long run.

Agree this was an anomaly, LS engines are generally bulletproof. Bought a used one for $500 with 150k and it runs like a top. 
And totally agree with the engine of choice today - turbocharged 2 liter four poppers. Drove a few and found them anemic. That’s the problem after 6 years of 392’s and Hellcats. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richieb said:

You’re right. Four poppers are boring - 

Depends on why you bought it. My bone stock WRX is hard to beat on the mountain 2 laners around here no matter how much power you've got. And if I need speed I can always break out the Aprilia Tuono.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, richieb said:

I could bore you with a story about my 1999 Silverado w/62000 miles with a seized LS 5.3.

There certainly are excepts I guess. My 5.3 and 6.0 LS engine experience.

2000 Silverado 5.3L 280K when sold, never worked on engine.

2005 Takoe       5.3L 230K still own, never worked on engine, but needs spark plugs now.

2007 Sierra       5.3L  280K Still own AFM engine that I did remove AFM kit and replaced pistons at 200K.

1999 Silverado  6.0L  250K still own, never worked on engine.

I let the computer decide oil change intervals on these vehicles. Before computers though, I changed oil and filter every 5K miles on all.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, richieb said:

My 210,000 mile  2003 GMC Sierra, w 8.1L still runs strong, damn strong. Pulled a loaded 24ft trailer a couple weeks ago without problem. Though she was plagued with electrical gremlin's (differential servo, and one of the 3 A/C thermistor's), I sorted them out and she's been reliable. My kids' call my truck "Scar", if you saw it up close, you'ld get it....   nearly 20 yrs of driving the harsh south texas brush country, but mechanically, she's as good as can be for a nearly stock engine and drivetrain. Can't hardly drive it to the Coop or beach without having some youngster ask me if I'm interested in selling.

• Like 1