klipschorn clone build

woodnes

My understanding is it's a tough build with lots of angles inside it.  If you got the chops, good for you.

You might otherwise consider building a (earlier version) Jubilee.  Nets you an easier build AND bigger/better sound (presuming you set a K402 on top) or you can go boss hog and do what some maniacs did and build some MWM bass bins, slap a 402 on top.

• Thanks 1

Yes "dtel",i want to build similar speaker to Khorn as much as i can,clone.

And "Coyotee",i understand its a tough build,but i'm a woodworker last 15 years and i have all tools,so for me its not impossible.

I never listen a Jubilee,but Khorns i listen and i like them very very much!! :)

So i stick to Khorns.

I have big power monoblocks,single ended with EIMAC 100 TH tubes,pure 40W so i want to mate them with Khorns :)

I think it will be a perfect sound.

But,i find so many plans for Khorns,and they are same,more or less,always some diferent mesurment,so i hope somebody can give me bonafide plans,please!! 

You would probably want to either make a prototype model out of cheaper, but dimensionally accurate, plywood.

Or, redraw any plans in some decent CAD software so you can verify measurements and angles before you start cutting.

The latter is what Erik Forker did when he needed to build out of metric plywood in Europe.

http://wp.volvotreter.de/dl-section/plans/

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 000 said:

. I would  suggest that you buy a used pair of khorns , or that you build a lesser complex speaker -

Yes,to buy used pair would be the best,but there is no used Khorns for sale in this part of world. And lesser complex...but i realy want Khorns :)

23 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

You would probably want to either make a prototype model out of cheaper, but dimensionally accurate, plywood.

Or, redraw any plans in some decent CAD software so you can verify measurements and angles before you start cutting.

The latter is what Erik Forker did when he needed to build out of metric plywood in Europe.

http://wp.volvotreter.de/dl-section/plans/

Thanks!Thats first plan i get here.I see Ericks job and he is defenetly one of guide lines here.And defenetly cad model before real build.

22 hours ago, Edgar said:

Keep in mind that a dimensional error of a fraction of an inch won't make a dime's worth of difference in a situation where wavelengths are measured in feet.

If thats true,then this is a very god news! Thank you! One audiophilic guy said to me,when i was building dallas II speakers,that if i make 1 mm error,that means totaly diferent sound quality.And there was some 1 mm error in build,but sound is awsome,so that what you say makes sence.

If you know your way around CAD, and you have a reasonably good set of measurements or plans, it's an easy design to model. I entered the Speakerlab K into CAD just last week -- took about twenty minutes. Now, I couldn't build from that model (yet), because I would have to isolate and dimension each part for manual cutting. But all of the information is there if I ever decide to.

7 hours ago, woodnes said:

But i want Khorns :)

then buy or import khorns ,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

2 hours ago, woodnes said:

But i want Khorns :)

Even if you build your own and put the same drivers in them, they won't be Khorns. They will be copies. Are you okay with that. The SKs have detailed build plans. There are no detailed plans available from Klipsch for their products.

If you are a good builder, you could build the SK cabinets and put the rest of the parts that are Klipsch in them and not be able to tell the difference between them sound wise.

Where are you located?

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Even if you build your own and put the same drivers in them, they won't be Khorns. They will be copies. Are you okay with that. The SKs have detailed build plans. There are no detailed plans available from Klipsch for their products.

If you are a good builder, you could build the SK cabinets and put the rest of the parts that are Klipsch in them and not be able to tell the difference between them sound wise.

Where are you located?

Excuse my ignorance....but what are SKhorns?

37 minutes ago, sootshe said:

Excuse my ignorance....but what are SKhorns?

A company in Seattle, Washington, had speaker kits and plans. One was a Khorn copy. There were some different versions of them. Here's a pair for sale in Oregon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144257169865?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=144257169865&targetid=1262749491542&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9011130&poi=&campaignid=14859008593&mkgroupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1262749491542&abcId=9300678&merchantid=6296724&gclid=CjwKCAiA-9uNBhBTEiwAN3IlNBk1YlXPWmWw4quvOW9SM74hCDBR3HzzOKdzgBEVyKTCGg1iZRGAkhoCeYwQAvD_BwE

Here's a pair in North Carolina. @DizRotusNeil hauled some around for dances when he was younger.

https://boonevintagestereo.com

The company is still in business but they sell different stuff now. They have their old catalogs online.

http://www.speakerlab.net/

I've got a copy of their plans... too difficult for me to build.

• Thanks 1