Please give me some advice on my "new" HT set up.

Dr_jitsu

So, I am downsizing. I had a 9.6 system, RF-7s', an RC 64, and RF 82's up front. My rear stage was 2 RF-82's and 2 62's. I was powering the rear stage with A Pioneer Elite AVR and an Emotiva XPA-5 to the front. The XPA-5 died after 7 years. They are billed as "audiophile grade" but are really just cheap Chinese garbage...I had to ship the thing back and forth because the first one did not work. I have CHT 18 inch subs. They are ugly as sin, but will run you out of the house, they are so overkill. 2 of the Dayton amps are dead, so I am only running 2 subs.

My space is a fairly large living room open to a kitchen and hallway. Due to all the space I built a massive system, but after living with it, it is too much. If I crank it up while the wife and son are home there will be trouble.

So here is what I am thinking of doing: Running only 5 speakers, the rc 64 and rf 7s up front, and a single set of rf 82's in the back. I will not add an amp, just run the 5 standing speakers off my AVR. My decision to not run an amp is based upon the fact that everyone seems to think Emotiva is great, and I consider them to be garbage. If Emotivas are great and a bargain, I think that amps in general are a rip off. Please correct me if I am wrong. If the XPA-5 is their flagship at $1500, then the cheaper ($600) BasX-5 must really be junk. 

The CHT subs are the 18.2's (These are 2 18 inch subs in one box) and 2 boxes that have singular 18 inch subs. Should I downsize to the 2 18.2's, just in the front, or keep the 18.1s (I have 2) in my rear stage. Are 4 18 inch subs overkill?

Thanks!

So, I am downsizing. I had a 9.6 system, RF-7s', an RC 64, and RF 82's up front. My rear stage was 2 RF-82's and 2 62's. I was powering the rear stage with A Pioneer Elite AVR and an Emotiva XPA-5 to the front. The XPA-5 died after 7 years. They are billed as "audiophile grade" but are really just cheap Chinese garbage...I had to ship the thing back and forth because the first one did not work. I have CHT 18 inch subs. They are ugly as sin, but will run you out of the house, they are so overkill. 2 of the Dayton amps are dead, so I am only running 2 subs.

My space is a fairly large living room open to a kitchen and hallway. Due to all the space I built a massive system, but after living with it, it is too much. If I crank it up while the wife and son are home there will be trouble.

So here is what I am thinking of doing: Running only 5 speakers, the rc 64 and rf 7s up front, and a single set of rf 82's in the back. I will not add an amp, just run the 5 standing speakers off my AVR. My decision to not run an amp is based upon the fact that everyone seems to think Emotiva is great, and I consider them to be garbage. If Emotivas are great and a bargain, I think that amps in general are a rip off. Please correct me if I am wrong. If the XPA-5 is their flagship at $1500, then the cheaper ($600) BasX-5 must really be junk. 

The CHT subs are the 18.2's (These are 2 18 inch subs in one box) and 2 boxes that have singular 18 inch subs. Should I downsize to the 2 18.2's, just in the front, or keep the 18.1s (I have 2) in my rear stage. Are 4 18 inch subs overkill?

Thanks!

My room is 19’ X 25’. I have Heresys front and rear. I have an RC3 center that I don’t use. It sounds “ boxy” compared to the Heresys so I rely on a phantom center which works just fine.Dialogue is clearer than using the RC3. I use a single RS12W which produces more bass than I prefer, got it dialed back quite a bit. In reference to your question, IMO nobody really needs more than one sub for REALISTIC bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it all hookeds up today....This is huge since I am basically retarded when it comes to this sort of thing. 5.1 (well 2, actually as the 1 sub is a dual 18 incher). It is PLENTY for my space. However, 2 of my Dayton amps are dead...are the worth fixing? I am "amp shy" since every amp I get does not last for snit. 2 Daytons crapped out after 5 years and my 1 XPA-5 died after 7 years.

Am I being unrealistic in my amp expectation? Gone are the days when I could drop thousands on equipment (I am semi retired). I am powering my front stage (2 RF-7s and and rc 64) and rear stage (2 RF 82's) with my Pioneer elite just fine, but I need to spring for 2 more amps for my subs.

Here is how I see it: Good speakers should last forever...and my Klipsch are as good today as they were 10 years ago. A receiver does a lot, so I don't expect more than 8-9 years from one. But shouldn't amps last longer? Dayton and Emotiva may be Chinese garbage, but I still spent $3k on them.

I will look into crown. Are they one arm, or an arm and a leg? I really do not understand why amps are so expensive and so crappy.

Which crown amp would be good for powering a dual (2 18 inch subs in one box) sub? Anyone remember Chase Home Theater? Ugliest subs ever, but boy do they put out?

Edited by Dr_jitsu

16 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

How much power do you need for the subs?

Not sure. They are huge, 2 18 inch subs built into one box, one on top, one on the bottom, facing different directions. I have 2 of the. I also have 2 individi=ual 18 inch subs built into separate enclosures. They are Chase Home Theater, a brand that went out of business a while back. One Dayton SA 100- powered 2 18 inch subs (so 3 total amps). 

On 12/12/2021 at 2:31 PM, Dr_jitsu said:

If Emotivas are great and a bargain, I think that amps in general are a rip off. Please correct me if I am wrong. If the XPA-5 is their flagship at $1500, then the cheaper ($600) BasX-5 must really be junk. 

Sorry for your troubles . I have 2 XPA-5's that turned 13yrs old this week and they are still running Klipsch THX Ultra II's they have been rock solid and are built like a tank. 

On 12/14/2021 at 3:40 PM, Dr_jitsu said:

I see to have bad luck with amps, LOL.

Seems so  but I agree with @wuzzzer Crown Amps seem to run forever .

Now that I have the system up and running I remember: My wife and sone go to bed very early I (semi retired) watch at night and don't even turn the sub on, LOL. Bet yeah, from what I have seen on this board, the crown amps are probably worth looking into. I just want something durable.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:41 PM, Zen Traveler said:
On 12/12/2021 at 1:31 PM, Dr_jitsu said:

Should I downsize to the 2 18.2's, just in the front, or keep the 18.1s (I have 2) in my rear stage. Are 4 18 inch subs overkill

No...Yes...No.

15 minutes ago, Dr_jitsu said:

Now that I have the system up and running I remember: My wife and sone go to bed very early I (semi retired) watch at night and don't even turn the sub on, LOL. 

Fwiw, given this new information I've changed my answer to:

Yes...No...Yes, if you don't use them.

• Like 1