Finally, Free Standing LMAHLS Figured Out

Dave A

I have tossed these around for about a year now as I have been asked a number of times if I was ever going to make any. Part of the problem  was making them as simple as possible but still look good and be durable and steady in use. One of the big pieces of the puzzle was getting good wood and I think I have a good couple of sources now. The pictures are not fancy as I came inside late today with a grin on my face and figured fancy can be for another day. This wood is Ambrosia Curly Maple and takes a very nice smooth finish. When I get the second one done you will see this set is book matched which is how I intend to make them if possible. I will be getting serious about the K-400 in January and I think I have figured out how to do wood LMAHL also. That remains to be seen though and they will also be done in January. IF I come up with a good way.

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

Those look beautiful!

I think the stands might overhang the rear of the cab if placed the way I have my current tweeters so they are aligned with the mid driver on the LS.

I thought about that too. The support rod is removable and can be cut down in length. I suppose that a wood dowel rod could be used too which would allow anyone the ability to shorten the rod. There will be set screws on the bottom that will tighten to the rod which are not shown yet.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, grendel23 said:

I like the idea of a heavy metal rod. It should lower the center of gravity and make it less likely kids or cats will knock it over.

That was my thought to and had even thought about embedding a few pieces into that support block also.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DirtyErnie said:

^^ Cute Puppy.... 

🤣

Thanks.  He is a Bloodhound/Saint Bernard mix that I got from a shelter at 6 months.  He just kept growing and at 2 years hit 200#.  Genetic freak.  That pic is what he looks like when running, he actually looks much less aggressive...and more mopey/goofy.  But, enough of my fuzzy woofer.

776060621_Sherm2.JPG.585b0f1e15c1764b317a2ffcd46e2e70.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I can tell you how to stop them easy peasy. Get a carolina reaper and where ever the problem child chews on things rub the pepper on that section. Hilarity will ensue as the perp becomes a victim and you won't have to worry about it any more. Works on any chew toy they have been forbidden to chew.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Well I can tell you how to stop them easy peasy. Get a carolina reaper and where ever the problem child chews on things rub the pepper on that section. Hilarity will ensue as the perp becomes a victim and you won't have to worry about it any more. Works on any chew toy they have been forbidden to chew.

LOL....Michigander here...I had to Google 'carolina reaper'.  You are correct though :)

9 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Wow, that's ridiculous.  

Agreed.  He's the height of a Great Dane (35" at the shoulder) and the breadth of a Saint Bernard.  I was in dog shows earlier in my life and have seen thousands of large dogs.  He's the biggest I have seen in person. 

Just now, StevePaul said:

Agreed.  He's the height of a Great Dane (35" at the shoulder) and the breadth of a Saint Bernard.  I was in dog shows earlier in my life and have seen thousands of large dogs.  He's the biggest I have seen in person. 

I was going to say, my friend is a vet and she talks to me frequently about dogs.   Never has she mentioned a dog that large before.... Animal indeed 😏Anyways, back to tweeters and audio 😀

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2021 at 10:14 PM, Dave A said:

I have tossed these around for about a year now as I have been asked a number of times if I was ever going to make any. Part of the problem  was making them as simple as possible but still look good and be durable and steady in use. One of the big pieces of the puzzle was getting good wood and I think I have a good couple of sources now. The pictures are not fancy as I came inside late today with a grin on my face and figured fancy can be for another day. This wood is Ambrosia Curly Maple and takes a very nice smooth finish. When I get the second one done you will see this set is book matched which is how I intend to make them if possible. I will be getting serious about the K-400 in January and I think I have figured out how to do wood LMAHL also. That remains to be seen though and they will also be done in January. IF I come up with a good way.

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

Ambrosia Maple is beautiful wood. I have been gluing up some samples to see which grain patterns will look good for some speaker cabinets.

DSCF1011.JPG.7d270022c2fb1372f68c13a7b03b1290.JPG

• Like 3