Amplifier/ receiver recommendations

ShelbyGT350

This is an extremely interesting thread. As I described in another thread, my daughter and her husband are looking for an amp for new Heresy 4. And an old friend is going to buy Cornwall 4 next year on my recommendation.

That transistor amps with higher power often have problems at the relevant wattages is known to me.

But what about class D amps? Do they also suffer from bad sound in the first watt?

I'm one of those idiots using more than a 5 watt amp with all of the inherent issues (there are none).  As of now, I think I'll be keeping my plinius sa-100 mk iii after swapping in back into my system based on a members input here.   With my 700 WPC hypex NC1200, I can honestly say it sounds FANTASTIC at low volumes. No, all amps do not sound the same.   Yes, I have been through many.   I understand above input about barely utilizing power from an "arc welder", but see it as irrelevant. If it sounds good, it is good. Period. Everyone's ears are different as are listening habits and preferences.   To be fair I do NOT have experience with SET and super low power amps.   

6 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I'm one of those idiots using more than a 5 watt amp with all of the inherent issues (there are none).  As of now, I think I'll be keeping my plinius sa-100 mk iii after swapping in back into my system based on a members input here.   With my 700 WPC hypex NC1200, I can honestly say it sounds FANTASTIC at low volumes. No, all amps do not sound the same.   Yes, I have been through many.   I understand above input about barely utilizing power from an "arc welder", but see it as irrelevant. If it sounds good, it is good. Period. Everyone's ears are different as are listening habits and preferences.   To be fair I do NOT have experience with SET and super low power amps.   

I would not call yourself an idiot. For the past few days I have been listening with my class A/B amplifier with at least 150 watts per channel and it is excellent sounding. Just one of those old men driving a Ferrari 45 mph on the interstate is all. The design and components used determine how an amp is going to sound. Forget about power with our speakers. Granted I do have my A/B amplifier biased where it probably stays in class A for 5 or more watts though.  

Because we are now only weeks away, I highly recommend holding off all multi-channel amplifier purchases until Monoprice releases the brand new, state of the art, high powered Monolith 8 channel Hypex amplifiers. There are two amplifiers coming. Both amps are 8 channels. The differences are in which Hypex modules are used, ie; 100W or 200W. Prices at launch will be $1999 and $2999 respectively. Lower channel count amplifiers using these same modules will be coming much later. Monoprice is doing much more here than just wiring these up in a custom chassis. There are many updates coming related to performance and reliability. They are already in California, so supply chain is not an issue for the initial launch, but if you really  do want one, have your wallets ready. I expect them the initial wave to sell out very quickly. I will let Hobie tell you the rest.

3 hours ago, henry4841 said:

I would not call yourself an idiot. For the past few days I have been listening with my class A/B amplifier with at least 150 watts per channel and it is excellent sounding. Just one of those old men driving a Ferrari 45 mph on the interstate is all. The design and components used determine how an amp is going to sound. Forget about power with our speakers. Granted I do have my A/B amplifier biased where it probably stays in class A for 5 or more watts though.  

Classé amplifiers are biased up to 30W before switching over. 100% Class A on the input side. You will not find a Class D amplifier anywhere that sounds like Classé. I have owned 2 channel varieties, but I need at least 5 channels. By the time those 5 channel Classé amps drop down to my range of affordability, they'll be burnt toast, or I'll be deaf.

15 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

Classé amplifiers are biased up to 30W before switching over. 100% Class A on the input side. You will not find a Class D amplifier anywhere that sounds like Classé

What I absolutely LOVE about this 2 channel plinius. Listening to smooth jazz now in pure class A. It's perfect. Very obvious difference from class a/b. This is one of those genres that benefits well from class A. Boney James - sweet thing.   Cranked up right now without a sub.  Super sweet and the detail is extremely full. 

Honestly never of Classe' before. Did a search and found review at Stereophile of the Classe' CA-200 and from the description of the circuitry it was a well designed and made machine. Hard to find a niche' in high end audio. Wish them the best and wish I could hear one of them. 

Class A is class A. For those that honestly do not understand the differences in the classes a little research will explain why it is the purist form. Especially when it is in SE 'single ended' mode. This is not to say other classes do sound exceptionally good if designed properly. Still on the technical side class A is still class A.