Now I feel bad....

Coytee

I use a HP-12-C calculator.  For me, it's one of those, "once I got accustomed to it, it's near impossible for me to use a "normal" calculator"

I have one at home, I carry it with me when I go to locations (along with laptop, keyboard....)

Decided that I will buy a second one and keep it mobile, with the other at home.  This way I have a backup if needed, but also I've forgotten it enough that it's worth having one dedicated in my carry case.....so I bought one on ebay.

Listing said:  "See pictures for details on condition.  This is used, but working.  Some marks and blemishes, but functional"  As I was paying for it, there was a comment "no returns"

Unit arrived.  A week or two pass before I go on the road.  Have it with me and the FIRST time I use it, it spazzes out on me.  I go to put in for example "12*54" and it puts in 122222222222222222222222222222222222222222 .....  over & over.  Almost like there's a sticky key inside (but it is all of them weirding out on me like that)  It's so bad, I can barely get simple things done.  Finally, I just open a spreadsheet to do my math there.

I decide it's trash.  I only paid $10 with $5.00 shipping so I'm out $15.  I don't really care about the funds, but now, I need to go find, order and wait for another one to arrive.  I thought about contacting the seller but again, for $15, I'm just not too worried about putting that much effort into it.

It DID however, annoy me that it was advertised as working and functional......which it clearly was NOT.  Well....I guess it DID turn on but it wasn't functional "as designed".  Then, the (sneaky?) no returns?  Kind of felt like someone dumped their trash on me.

So I got the reminder about feedback and I sent negative feedback (without having contacted the seller, who by the way is at 100% positives) and said:

"You said "See pictures for details on condition. This is used, but working. Some marks and blemishes, but functional. " AND you have it posted as no returns. This is fine with me.... as long as it works PROPERLY, which it does not AND any cursory use of it would illustrate. I've lost more on less so the funds don't bother me, it's the annoyance of having to get another one since this one failed me today when I actually used it for the first time. and something (small) is rattling inside."

I was very honest and blunt.  I kind of felt bad about giving negative feedback but, felt it was deserved given the description married with the no returns comment.

I wasn't bothered about the funds....  it's not worth the hassle of reboxing it, spending funds to ship it and get it back.

Today, I see he refunded 100% of my purchase, including shipping costs.

I feel like the azz my wife sometimes describes me to be.

I don't think I can retract nor second comment on my feedback, can I?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Excellent, thank you.  I didn't know that existed.  Turns out that the seller has to request a feedback update (or something like that) so I have sent him a message and bluntly, apologized for my feedback and if he'd send me that form, I will do my best to amend my comments.

The thing that pushed this into my face was the 'no returns' comment.  I saw that before I bought it and my thought was someone wouldn't do that unless:

1.  The item WAS properly working

2.  They were safeguarding themselves from someone buying it, then returning a defective unit

I can totally understand that logic...

None the less, it is what it is.

I suspect you are like me and rely somewhat on reviews and ratings when buying online. They are there for a reason...or, at least they are supposed to be. What you wrote is honest and evenhanded caused the seller to do the right thing. In my opinion, you did the right thing, too.

26 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

I still have my HP 12C from the late 80's and use it all the time.  I also have Finanx 12c v0.2.8 loaded on my laptop that works very well.  Search for it - it's a free download.

Might look into that on my home PC, but I doubt my work (controlled) laptop will allow a foreign download like that.  They get all stuffy about security and crazy things like that.

I always try and give people the benefit of doubt my opinion is you should have reached out before leaving the feedback. While it is annoying it didn't work and you were caught without one being that it was a used eBay purchase you really should have tested it when you received it so as not to be caught off guard. 

As far as the seller goes is it possible it was damaged in shipping? Is it possible he didn't know how to use it? I don't know but most seller's care about their reputation online and wouldn't jeopardize it over a $10 item purposely something seems off. 

7 minutes ago, jason str said:

Honesty is the best policy and you did nothing wrong. If anything it gives the seller incentive to do the right thing and return your money.

So if I buy something from you on this forum and it arrives damaged I should just start a thread telling everyone how dishonest you are and that the item isn't as described in an effort to incentivize you to give me a refund? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

So if I buy something from you on this forum and it arrives damaged I should just start a thread telling everyone how dishonest you are and that the item isn't as described in an effort to incentivize you to give me a refund? 

I have never screwed anybody intentionally here or elsewhere but if a problem arose somehow in a sale you bet I would go out of my way to help just as always.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jason str said:

if a problem arose somehow in a sale you bet I would go out of my way to help just as always.

From what I gather from the OP there was no attempt to communicate the problem to the seller prior to the negative feedback this is where, in my opinion, he could have done better. If the seller told him to pound sand and threw the "as is" out there in an attempt to dodge responsibility then yeah, leave a negative.  

IMHO not giving the seller an opportunity to remedy the situation (or hold you to your bargain as described in the ad copy) seems shortsighted. Giving a seller the opportunity to resolve an issue may take less effort than, as was pointed out above, starting feedback or a thread to describe how terrible a seller someone is, what a POS they sold to attempt to get a refund. I'd rather give someone more rope to either pull themselves up or hang themselves. That way I don't feel bad. Just my two cents...

Mike

• Like 1