KP-302/3002 High Frequency Speaker - Intermittent & Scratchy Sound - Resolved, Bad Cap' Connection

rszoke

On 1/7/2022 at 1:35 PM, EpicKlipschFan said:

good lord, 10 pages of unrelated discussion to the OPs problem!  start a new thread!  i gave up on following the thread after about page 2 or 3... did the OP ever resolve his issue with the bad tweeter ??  

Yes, a capacitor lead was broken and needed replacing.

Haven't heard results of new cap yet, though.

• Like 1

Hi Guys - first, would like to say that I had no idea to the passions generated from this thread!  I learned from what I could follow and all the conversation speaks to that passion.

So just to followup on the network repair - so last weekend the cap's were replaced on one board w/ the severed connection & the second board remains original.  My intention is just for a little 'side by side' comparison to see if my 'aged' hearing could substantiate any difference.  After one week of cycling multiple CDs - I can report that the replaced cap' board speaker sounds a bit more bright/harsh than the other speaker.  Granted this is in my garage and my 57 year old ears likely ain't what they used to be - but I can definitely say there is a slight difference.  Honestly I'd prefer something really inbetween the 2 - where sometimes the brighter sound works for some songs and other times comes off as harsh.

It's only been a week and I'll continue to play away with this - maybe swap back 2 of the original cap's (the 27 and 5.6) to see what happens (since these are the 2 cap's for the HF speaker).  

Will keep you posted and thanks again for the direct feedback & various conversations!

Best Regards,
Rick

Network_Repair1.thumb.jpg.95f15df51cb3c457d9153f5b59b2902f.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rszoke said:

Hi Guys - first, would like to say that I had no idea to the passions generated from this thread!  I learned from what I could follow and all the conversation speaks to that passion.

So just to followup on the network repair - so last weekend the cap's were replaced on one board w/ the severed connection & the second board remains original.  My intention is just for a little 'side by side' comparison to see if my 'aged' hearing could substantiate any difference.  After one week of cycling multiple CDs - I can report that the replaced cap' board speaker sounds a bit more bright/harsh than the other speaker.  Granted this is in my garage and my 57 year old ears likely ain't what they used to be - but I can definitely say there is a slight difference.  Honestly I'd prefer something really inbetween the 2 - where sometimes the brighter sound works for some songs and other times comes off as harsh.

It's only been a week and I'll continue to play away with this - maybe swap back 2 of the original cap's (the 27 and 5.6) to see what happens (since these are the 2 cap's for the HF speaker).  

Will keep you posted and thanks again for the direct feedback & various conversations!

Best Regards,
Rick

Network_Repair1.thumb.jpg.95f15df51cb3c457d9153f5b59b2902f.jpg

Cool...if you want to, give it another little more time to settle in.

6 minutes ago, rszoke said:

there is a slight difference.  Honestly I'd prefer something really inbetween the 2 -

Best Regards,
Rick

The reason for klipsch to  recommend @JEM Performance  was to make sure that Forum members  could restore the klipsch sound in their speakers , but as you can hear , aftermarket capacitors do not sound like klipsch capacitors since they alter the klipsch sound signature  .

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RandyH said:

The reason for klipsch to  recommend @JEM Performance  was to make sure that Forum members  could restore the klipsch sound in their speakers , but as you can hear , aftermarket capacitors do not sound like klipsch capacitors since they alter the klipsch sound signature  .

Since still alive here, may as well say the OP could come back.

Do you know if JEM Performance is authorized to work, recommend or provide

network parts for Klipsch pro or industrial speakers, or just 

Heritage. Inventory of caps for same...

1 hour ago, billybob said:

@JEM Performance answered the OP 's request ,   they spoke together , so that should answer the question whether JEM  can work on  Pro speakers  .

• Klipsch Employees
2 hours ago, billybob said:

Mostly heritage. But if the caps you need and they have them, I’m sure that can supply them. 

• Like 1

Hi Guys - thanks for the advice on the solder, where I will take a review on.

Then also just for the record - I did speak with Jim @ JEMPerformance last month (referenced back on Page 1, near the bottom) and apparently these higher voltage/capacitance passives are problematic to source.  Hence why I went this particular route, obviously the preferred route would be some factory direct cap's.

Thanks again - greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees
3 hours ago, RandyH said:

Yep

• Moderators
4 hours ago, rszoke said:

So just to followup on the network repair - so last weekend the cap's were replaced on one board w/ the severed connection & the second board remains original.  My intention is just for a little 'side by side' comparison to see if my 'aged' hearing could substantiate any difference.  After one week of cycling multiple CDs - I can report that the replaced cap' board speaker sounds a bit more bright/harsh than the other speaker. 

Ah, a well thought out and reasoned approach, minimizing the variables and trusting your own ears. 

I'm just thankful you were not subjected to another 3 or 4 pages of "you need to let them break in for 500 hours, run them 24/7 for 5 months and then come back with your impressions" (I have actually someone post that in a forum); or "when you are breaking in the caps, use the special capacitor break-in cd put out on the Audiophile's Will Buy Anything label (have seen something akin to that in an audio magazine).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rszoke said:

After one week of cycling multiple CDs - I can report that the replaced cap' board speaker sounds a bit more bright/harsh than the other speaker.  Granted this is in my garage and my 57 year old ears likely ain't what they used to be - but I can definitely say there is a slight difference.  Honestly I'd prefer something really inbetween the 2 - where sometimes the brighter sound works for some songs and other times comes off as harsh.

Congrats on your new speakers.

Looks like you went with polypropylene capacitors and found out why many dislike them as they can be too bright with these speakers.

If you are looking for the happy middle ground replace them all with Polyester capacitors, it will get you to where you want to be in regard to not as bright as the Polypropylene but not old and possibly out of spec original capacitors on the board you didn't touch. If you want to go for the absolute best right out the gate I would just go ahead and use paper in oil capacitors. They are really not that far removed from the Polyester cap sound, they tend to be just a bit smoother than Polyester. Stock capacitors from Klipsch is Polyester which is why they are #1 recommended.

If you choose a Metallized Polyester type which is by far the most widely used I suggest up-rating the voltage handling in order to try and keep any sort of fault clearing from happening which makes them lose their capacitance and increase in ESR. Anything over 400v rating should be a good choice, I know many will say that's overkill but I'd rather be prudent to keep the caps as healthy as the day they were installed.