What speaker wire to get

jubilee333

Hi all,

I have a couple of KG 4.2s and a Kenwood KR-5600 receiver (thanks to the help of some of the guys on the forum). I am looking to switch around my set up for the next party I'm DJing and will need longer speaker wires to accommodate, about 30ft should do the trick. I know at this distance I should be looking at a higher gauge, but I understand some technical specs like impedance also play a role. What sort of specs should I be looking for in speaker wire? Are there any brands you would suggest?

Thanks!

June

14ga or better would be fine, be sure it is pure copper wire - do not get any CCA (copper clad aluminum) wire. You may have to look hard to make sure. If the wire is clearly cheaper than ones that state they are pure copper than it's most likely CCA.

Another vote for Blue Jeans cable, that is what I use.

2 hours ago, ssh said:

Blue Jeans Cable. Call them and they can recommend what you need.

SSH

37 minutes ago, Alexander said:

14ga or better would be fine, be sure it is pure copper wire - do not get any CCA (copper clad aluminum) wire. You may have to look hard to make sure. If the wire is clearly cheaper than ones that state they are pure copper than it's most likely CCA.

Another vote for Blue Jeans cable, that is what I use.

Thank you for your responses! Will get in touch with Blure Jeans.

• Like 2

For 30' I would use 14awg wire, at .0025 ohms per foot that works out to ~.075 ohms. Will work good. You don't need anything exotic you will not hear any difference.

Just go into any Home Depot or Lowes and they will have something like this that you can purchase by the foot so go in and have the guy cut 65' of the stuff. Terminate how you like or just strip, twist and insert into speaker and amp binding posts. Easy peasy

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-By-the-Foot-14-2-300-Volt-CU-Black-Flexible-Portable-Power-SJOOW-Cord-55812199/204725134?MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-204725134-_-N&

• Like 4

14 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

For 30' I would use 14awg wire, at .0025 ohms per foot that works out to ~.075 ohms. Will work good. You don't need anything exotic you will not hear any difference.

Just go into any Home Depot or Lowes and they will have something like this that you can purchase by the foot so go in and have the guy cut 65' of the stuff. Terminate how you like or just strip, twist and insert into speaker and amp binding posts. Easy peasy

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-By-the-Foot-14-2-300-Volt-CU-Black-Flexible-Portable-Power-SJOOW-Cord-55812199/204725134?MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-204725134-_-N&

So, I notice this isn't for speakers per se, but it will do the trick anyway? Wondering why one might choose something like this over a conventional speaker wire. It does seem much more protected than like the amazon link above.

Knuconceptz Kord... 12 ga. Super flexible, reasonable price, yadayada...

I used zip cord for 50 yrs... finallyy got this as I was doing sound for a party at a convention center, large room. The HD, Lowes, etc., all were too stiff and hard to handle.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I read that wire coat hangers work as well something to think about

How many remember in the late eighties when Romex was touted by "audiophiles" as the best speaker cable?  Nothing like trying to bend solid copper wire in a heavy braid to reach your terminals...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jubilee333 said:

A lot more responses! Thank you all. Beginning to try and parse which option might be best for me. Any additional commentary on any of the options provided would be welcome 🙂

43,016 members, 43,016 opinions.  🥳

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, michaelwardjones said:

How many remember in the late eighties when Romex was touted by "audiophiles" as the best speaker cable?  Nothing like trying to bend solid copper wire in a heavy braid to reach your terminals...

I'm sure everyone by now has seen this or the original study:

https://www.soundguys.com/cable-myths-reviving-the-coathanger-test-23553/

"Across all comparisons and samples, the vote broke down like this:

• 1,456 preferred the coathanger (45.5% with first comparison, 36.2% without)
  • 1,049 preferred the cable (32.8% with first comparison, 37.7% without)
  • 694 chose “both are the same” (21.7% with first comparison, 26.1% without")
  • Like 2